Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,517 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my hubby and I are coming to Shoshoni from Texas this weekend for work. We will be there for about 2 months. His work is putting us up in a hotel/motel for the stay. Any recommendations, please? I've looked for info about Shoshoni online but can't see much..it looks absolutely beautiful country, though..thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
There's not much to Shoshoni, just a wide spot where two highways meet for the most part. Riverton will be the closest "big" town (about 20 miles). Most folks who are working Shoshoni or points around there make the drive from Riverton. And if you're mostly tagging along (no worries, I do the same with my wife, who's a traveling pharmacist), you'll find Lots more to engage you within Riverton.

The next closest option is Thermopolis, but driving through Wind River Canyon can be a bit challenging (or completely closed) with some in-climate weather. Hard to know on any given winter day, though it is Usually fine. Again, neat/interesting place.

Not to take away from Shoshoni, I always liked passing through (and stopping to work there when I was with the Library system), I just wouldn't want to live there.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Shoshoni is a little more then just a wide spot along the highways. I count over 30 streets in the town of 711 souls. As I recall there were some previous threads with contributions from people who lived there who had some positive things to say about the area.

These threads might help:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...-shoshoni.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...-shoshoni.html

Data: https://www.city-data.com/city/Shoshoni-Wyoming.html

Google maps puts Shoshoni to Riverton at 22 miles, and Shoshoni to Thermopolis at 32 miles. If I had to choose between the two I'd probably pick Thermopolis as the more interesting place to live.

You can use Googlemaps Street view to "drive" down the streets of any town in the US and see what it looks like. That is a good way to see the place for yourself. Give it a try. shoshoni wyoming - Google Maps

Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
Thank you, I appreciate the input. My hubby will have to drive 30 mins from Shoshoni to his job site, so he would prefer to stay close. He works very long, hard hours so .. are there more than one motel (I see the Desert Inn) to stay at, and if so which would you prefer? Thx!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Call up and ask a local ~ Wyoming Libraries Directory, Record Listing

Oh, it's even the same librarian there, she's nice if a touch odd on occasion. If I'm remembering correctly, she's a 2nd or 3rd gen Shoshoni resident. Or you could try City Hall ~ (307) 876-2442 (where I believe you'll talk with the librarians mother... heh)

Sounds like your husband is going to be out in the oil patch.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM

83 posts, read 238,459 times
Your husband must be working in the Lysite area and I can understand him wanting to be closer to his work as it's about a 45 minute drive from Riverton. However, most the people that work in the Lysite or Frenchie Draw areas do drive from Riverton because there is really nothing in Shoshoni. There are some nice areas, but it's a pretty old run down little town.

Desert Inn is the only place to stay in Shoshoni and it's a rather old motel, though I have not heard anything bad about it. Beyond that, you will be very limited in your options while he is at work. There are two bars and two convenient stores, one of which serves as the local "cafe". It does have a small city park, but his time of year it wouldn't offer much. Boysen State Park lies just over the hill to the west, but unless you do a lot of fishing, it won't offer much either.

Maybe you could get on with the school district as a temp or volunteer to pass your time..... otherwise maybe it's time you finally read War and Peace

Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM

448 posts, read 1,198,841 times
Hmm, sounds great

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
It's a nice area if you have a reason to be there. I think the suggestion to volunteer at the school is a great one.

I liked working the country east of Shoshoni and went there occasionally for fun stuff at the school or to get a sundae at the malt shop. Was it a malt shop? Some kind of soda fountain place. Nice people.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajnkins View Post
Hi all, my hubby and I are coming to Shoshoni from Texas this weekend for work. We will be there for about 2 months. His work is putting us up in a hotel/motel for the stay. Any recommendations, please? I've looked for info about Shoshoni online but can't see much..it looks absolutely beautiful country, though..thanks for your input!
I think there's only one motel in town (can't think of the name even though I go through there all the time ) and one apartment complex so you probably won't have much of a choice. Shoshone does have a rugged beauty, but the really pretty areas nearby are Lander and Thermopolis. Thermopolis (or Thermop as the locals say) has Hot Springs State Park with hot springs to swim in and a buffalo pasture. There is also a restaurant there called The Safari Club that's supposed to be pretty good. Thermopolis Wyoming Safari Club Lounge and Restaurant Lander has Sinks Canyon State Park that is pretty and would probably be really pretty in the winter.

Be careful about speeding in Shoshone. I got a $250 ticket there once.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
My husband did a lot of work in Lysite and they always stayed in Riverton. The Best Western there gives all of the Lysite guys a really good deal. It wasn't bad at all driving from Riverton to Lysite. A lot of guys do it. That motel stays pretty full of guys who work out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming