Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 44,622 times

Advertisements

Even though Wyoming is more cowboy based/conservative than most places in the country (except for Montana, perhaps) I wouldn't say there is really one town that meets all your criteria. Land in southern Wyoming tends to be cheaper (mainly because it's more open) than up northwest, say by Cody or Jackson. Wheatland is a ranching/farming based community just east of the rugged Laramie Range, with about 3,000 people, pretty conservative (at least among the older folks) and about an hour north of Cheyenne on I-25. I actually grew up there and I can say, for your purposes, it would be a good fit, but many people can be quite close-minded especially to outsiders, but it's something you just have to ignore. . . There is also a mid-sized hospital there which doesn't offer the BEST care but it works for emergency situations. Douglas, less than hour east of Casper (a city the same size as Cheyenne), is also somewhat ranch based and has some pristine mountains to the south, not to mention a decent hospital for a town of about 6,000. I also think the base of the Big Horns (especially Buffalo, since it's close to Sheridan) would be something to consider.

About the weather.. it is very different from northern Colorado in the winter in many spots. The mountain basins and plains are wind tunnels. In the winter it is common for 60-70 mph wind gusts almost weekly and snow drifts can really pile up. It is also a lot drier than the CO Front Range foothills and higher in elevation, so the temps are more extreme. On the plains, expect 90+ days consistently in the summer and several cold fronts in the winter well below zero, though lately we've had winter days creep into the 40s in Laramie.

But you seem ambitious enough these shouldn't be factors in deciding to get out of Colorado, which I understand completely. Wyoming is a great place in its own right and I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM

307 posts, read 981,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyofan11 View Post
Even though Wyoming is more cowboy based/conservative than most places in the country (except for Montana, perhaps) I wouldn't say there is really one town that meets all your criteria. Land in southern Wyoming tends to be cheaper (mainly because it's more open) than up northwest, say by Cody or Jackson. Wheatland is a ranching/farming based community just east of the rugged Laramie Range, with about 3,000 people, pretty conservative (at least among the older folks) and about an hour north of Cheyenne on I-25. I actually grew up there and I can say, for your purposes, it would be a good fit, but many people can be quite close-minded especially to outsiders, but it's something you just have to ignore. . . There is also a mid-sized hospital there which doesn't offer the BEST care but it works for emergency situations. Douglas, less than hour east of Casper (a city the same size as Cheyenne), is also somewhat ranch based and has some pristine mountains to the south, not to mention a decent hospital for a town of about 6,000. I also think the base of the Big Horns (especially Buffalo, since it's close to Sheridan) would be something to consider.

About the weather.. it is very different from northern Colorado in the winter in many spots. The mountain basins and plains are wind tunnels. In the winter it is common for 60-70 mph wind gusts almost weekly and snow drifts can really pile up. It is also a lot drier than the CO Front Range foothills and higher in elevation, so the temps are more extreme. On the plains, expect 90+ days consistently in the summer and several cold fronts in the winter well below zero, though lately we've had winter days creep into the 40s in Laramie.

But you seem ambitious enough these shouldn't be factors in deciding to get out of Colorado, which I understand completely. Wyoming is a great place in its own right and I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info on Wheatland, I will certainly look into that!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,136 times
Just out of morbid-curiosity, what exactly is a 'cowboy/ranching-based lifestyle' ? I've been earning my living by working for ranchers for awhile now, and the word 'lifestyle' just does'nt seem to 'fit' somehow, in all the combined experiences I've lived through. So....I'm just wondering if you could elaborate ? I have gotten around a bit, and seen some country...there's little doubt in my mind that I might have some ideas (on towns/communities) that I can share with you. Anything'll help, right ?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Just out of morbid-curiosity, what exactly is a 'cowboy/ranching-based lifestyle' ? I've been earning my living by working for ranchers for awhile now, and the word 'lifestyle' just does'nt seem to 'fit' somehow, in all the combined experiences I've lived through. So....I'm just wondering if you could elaborate ? I have gotten around a bit, and seen some country...there's little doubt in my mind that I might have some ideas (on towns/communities) that I can share with you. Anything'll help, right ?
An area that has a predominant ranching/equine culture as opposed to a contemporary, city culture of any sort, tourist-culture etc. A place where a traditional western life is still enjoyed. Lifestyle has to do, among other things, as the way of life with intrinsic values, practices, cultural philosophies that typically accompany the agrarian culture. Looking for a small town (small town based on my perception of course) country life with others who value the same way, with a pronounced western/ranching/equine culture and environment.

I explained it more son in other posts as well. The best that I can do.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM

I am planning a visit to Laramie and possibly Riverton too. Laramie might be a good fit, however I am worried about the size, and the University life. We have grown weary with the college parties and wild life here in Ft. Collins and the take over of the downtown by the students. I am wondering if Laramie is similar at all. On Friday nights it is not uncommon to see lots of cars from WY dragging up and down College ave and frequenting the downtown bars and restaurants. So maybe, the students from UW come down here or is there quite a similar portrait painted in Laramie on the weekends?

Laramie seems to have quite a bit of ranching and equine folks? I have only been there once but based on my research it seems like it may fit. I will have to bend on the size of town, was hoping for a smaller city, but perhaps it will feel right and have medical facilities as well. If you have any knowledge of Laramie and familiarity with the area based on what we are looking for please comment, thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,295,326 times
ranch communities.... Cokeville, Saratoga, Big Piney, Lusk

Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
ranch communities.... Cokeville, Saratoga, Big Piney, Lusk
Thank you very much for your reply to my thread! I will investigate those communities!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,527 times
[Mod cut - TOS Violation]

Check out Meeteetse. I think what you are looking for is straight out of a western novel. All ranch people I know don't think of what they do as any different than anyone else, it's just what they do and who they are. They don't go out of their way to make sure it's known they are "ranchy." My other post that elkhunter deleted said "move to miles city." That is a ranching community.

Every single small town in Wyoming has an agrarian lifestyle. Pavillion, crowheart, dubois are towns that come to mind, but you could throw a dart at a map of wyoming and hit a town that meets your needs as being ranchy enough.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: TOS Violation - Discussing mod action on open forum

Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,880 times
I think part of the problem here is that everyone's definition of things like "authentic western", or "cowboy culture" is different to everyone, and I suspect that the OPs desires are based more what he/she sees on TV and in the movies than what exists in real life.

I've recently gotten hooked on the Canadian TV series "Heartland", that takes place in the fictional town of Hudson, Alberta, Canada (actually filmed in and around High River, about an hour south of Calgary). The main characters live on a horse rescue ranch, supporting characters live on a cattle ranch next door, with frequent scenes at the mom and pop diner/tack/gift store. Everyone knows everyone, even the crazy hermit lady. Two of the characters get into a bar fight, and other than having to be picked up from jail, it's a no harm, no foul situation. One of the characters lives in a rented trailer on a ridge overlooking a beautiful valley of absolutely pristine wilderness.

Upon seeing it, I remember thinking to myself "That's EXACTLY the kind of place I want to live in, with the kind of people I want to live around!" Well, except for the part about it being in Canada, lol. But that's the rub - it's fictional. These towns don't exist outside of the minds of novelists and Hollywood.

I too have been looking to make a move, although in my case it's out of the Phoenix area. I once had a fantasy of the "traditional western culture", and for some reason always assumed Phoenix would offer that. I was born and raised around Detroit, and finally at age 25, I got sick of it, packed up and headed for Phoenix. Even my disappointment (and I'm using that word lightly) when I found Phoenix to basically be East Los Angeles, only hotter (of course I didn't bother to visit before moving..that would have been far too logical!).

Ironically, LACK of "shopping" is one of the reasons I dislike Phoenix. I know most people would be shocked at that "Any city the size of Phoenix has everything you need!". I was lamenting the other day about how there's nothing like Tractor Supply or Big R anywhere in or around Phoenix. We had TSC and a few others all over the suburban Detroit area, yet nothing in Phoenix. Phoenix has very few mom and pop style anything, it's just one big chain store after another. The auto parts stores are horrible. There's only a few of the low key bars in town, but tons of the "night club" style places. Lot's of Walmart style stores, virtually no local markets/farmers markets (yes, we have the coop style places downtown, but they're more geared to the "trendy, hip" folk that think paying $20/pound for "organic" tomatoes while horking down their Starbucks is going to save the world)

My neighbor loves it. Says there is no place she'd rather live, and would say that Phoenix has some of the best "shopping" and entertainment in the country! She is also the type to head to the mall for anything non-food. To me, Phoenix has horrible shopping and entertainment, and if I never step foot in a mall again, it will be too damn soon!

Why am in the Wyoming forum? Because southern Wyoming has been on my short list of places to check out to potentially move to to get the heck out of this big city nightmare.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I think part of the problem here is that everyone's definition of things like "authentic western", or "cowboy culture" is different to everyone, and I suspect that the OPs desires are based more what he/she sees on TV and in the movies than what exists in real life.

(snip). Even my disappointment (and I'm using that word lightly) when I found Phoenix to basically be East Los Angeles, only hotter (of course I didn't bother to visit before moving..that would have been far too logical!).

Ironically, LACK of "shopping" is one of the reasons I dislike Phoenix. I know most people would be shocked at that "Any city the size of Phoenix has everything you need!". I was lamenting the other day about how there's nothing like Tractor Supply or Big R anywhere in or around Phoenix. We had TSC and a few others all over the suburban Detroit area, yet nothing in Phoenix. Phoenix has very few mom and pop style anything, it's just one big chain store after another. The auto parts stores are horrible. There's only a few of the low key bars in town, but tons of the "night club" style places. Lot's of Walmart style stores, virtually no local markets/farmers markets (yes, we have the coop style places downtown, but they're more geared to the "trendy, hip" folk that think paying $20/pound for "organic" tomatoes while horking down their Starbucks is going to save the world)

(snip)

Why am in the Wyoming forum? Because southern Wyoming has been on my short list of places to check out to potentially move to to get the heck out of this big city nightmare.
In much the same way that you find the OP's paradigm of what is/is not here in "cowboy lifestyle" Wyoming,

I think you'd better come visit SE Wyoming.

If "LACK of "shopping" is one of the reasons I dislike Phoenix" ... you ain't seen nothing yet until you come to Cheyenne or Casper. Beyond basic necessities ... mostly obtained at the mall, Cheyenne shopping is mainly limited to the big box stores, not mom 'n pops. Same thing for dining choices ... mostly franchise chains rather than mom 'n pops. Yes, we do have a Murdoch's Big R ... which years ago was a farm/ranch store; now, it's a big clothing store and the inventory of items targeted to the farm equipment/tools/parts that used to be here is gone. You can get everything that they now have at the box stores or Sears, which have a similar focus on stuff for larger residential parcels, but not farms/ranches. Boot Barn and Wyoming Work Wear locally are huge competitors in the franchise clothing/footwear box store end of the marketplace.

We still travel to the Greeley Big R (franchise, different owners than the Cheyenne store) to get a lot of stuff that the Cheyenne store doesn't have ... like a heated stock waterer, or irrigation parts.

For the most part, Cheyenne area folk head to Fort Collins or Denver for their more major shopping purchases.

Strongly urge you to visit Cheyenne or Casper to see if your vision of these places comes close to your imagination's view of what is here ... I suspect you've built these places up to be something of the old west that isn't here anymore, either.

Cheyenne doesn't have much in the way of "low key" bars, either. They're mostly theme oriented bars these days, either sports bars or country-western places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming