Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 46,878 times

Advertisements

After lots of driving and having a major blow out on our flat bed trailer, we have arrived in Rawlins! We are going to explore the town tomorrow. Next week some time we will go look at the house we are hoping to get in Ryan Park. I already like it here..... mainly because it is not UTAH!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
Default haaa

I loved that... "mostly cause its not UTAH" ... me and my husband have job interviews in rawlins day after tomorrow... hoping to move by the end of the month... were from utah as well... =) I CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF SALT LAKE CITY!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,852,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrychickinutah View Post
I loved that... "mostly cause its not UTAH" ... me and my husband have job interviews in rawlins day after tomorrow... hoping to move by the end of the month... were from utah as well... =) I CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF SALT LAKE CITY!
Just curious. Did you have bad experiences while in SLC? I'm about to get out of So. Cal. and move to SLC. CA is finished. Time to get out. Love SLC and Utah to bits!! Hope everything works out for you and your husband in WY. I like WY but I understand the job market is terrible there. I also heard people in WY hate Californians.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,765,736 times
I went to Rawlins once. The French Quarter was neat, and so was the Garden District. And driving the Pontchartrain Causeway at night was fun.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Welcome to Wyoming! You'll love it here.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I like WY but I understand the job market is terrible there. I also heard people in WY hate Californians.
The job market here depends upon the job. Wyoming has a comparatively low unemployment rate. Californians who come to Wyoming are usually trying to escape California. They are very welcome. But we don't want people from California ot anyplace else who are trying to bring the values and lifestyles of other places to force them on us.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,209,100 times
Quote:
I like WY but I understand the job market is terrible there. I also heard people in WY hate Californians.
The current job market is rather limited here, with many jobs offering a wage that is below the realistic costs of living here. There are certain sectors that pay better, but right now don't have a lot of job openings.

For the most part, "people in WY hate Californians" ... isn't true per se.

The problem is with the folk that move here to escape the problems of California and then want to make Wyoming exactly what they left in California ... with big gov't, excessive spending on public works projects to suit every possible whim that exceed whatever anybody could possibly use, big gov't jobs programs/social welfare programs, gov't services/laws/regulations and taxation to support all of that, and high crime rates that reflect the social failures of all those welfare programs and control of everybody.

Especially offensive are the folk who move here, discover that the pace and ways of life don't meet their expectations and paradigm of what life should be about ... and proceed to tell all of the folk who are happy and established here that we're doing it all wrong and then they condescendingly tell us ig'rant hicks that they alone in their superior moral and intelligence capacity "know better". Most importantly, they find their fellow travelers here and vote to establish the same social and political structure here in WY; IMO, it's a power trip for them to exercise their judgement, social, and political control over others ... seeking to achieve the same devastating results they have accomplished turning CA into a third-world country. Wyoming may have a much more limited economic basis, but at least we've been able to live within our means and not have bankrupted the state or any cities.

If CA (or wherever they came from) is so friggin' wonderful and perfect and morally superior and economically justified ... then why did they leave?

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-21-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I, for one, moved to CO in the 1960's as a teenager and discovered how much nicer living in a conservative Rocky Mountain state could be ... but, to my dismay ... I watched as the CA folk came to CO in droves and turned it into a mini-CA enclave over the years. That's why I left CO for WY awhile back, and I don't look forward to the possibility of the CA extreme liberal left mentality doing the same thing to WY.
My experience is similar to yours. I moved to Colorado from Illinois in 1967 for the weather, the mountains, and the strong conservative atmosphere of the state. Over the years I watched it change. The old timers died; many of the World War II vets died or were in their dotage. People were arriving in droves but they weren't the same kind of people; they weren't my kind of people. I couldn't believe it when Clinton carried the state in '92 but I attributed it to Perot's candidacy. But when he carried it in '96 there were no excuses.

In 2000 there was a bill in the legislature that would have banned private sales at gun shows. It suffered the ignominious defeat that it deserved. But then the gun haters started a petition drive to put it on the ballot; they were successful. In the election we lost our gunshows; that was it. Those people took my beloved Colorado from me. I wasn't able to move for two years but when I did I didn't have far to go.

There are conservatives and libertarians everywhere; California once had millions of them. The liberals came from everyplace. Yes, plenty of them were from California but there were plenty from the East and Midwest as well. But Wyoming seems to scare them. They think we're all violent rednecks. Good, let them think it. But let's welcome our conservative and libertarian brethren regardless of the horrors of the place they're leaving behind. Don't forget that I'm from Illinois, the Chicago area of all places. The good guys died out in Colorado with few replacements after the early Eighties. Let's work to prevent that happening here.

Wyoming is a hard place but the best place in the country to live. We need to encourage right wingers to come here, especially those who don't yet have gray hair.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-21-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Quote:
Just curious. Did you have bad experiences while in SLC? I'm about to get out of So. Cal. and move to SLC. CA is finished. Time to get out. Love SLC and Utah to bits!! Hope everything works out for you and your husband in WY. I like WY but I understand the job market is terrible there. I also heard people in WY hate Californians.
If you're a hard-working down to earth person it doesn't matter where you're from, you'll be accepted in Wyoming. It's best not to discuss politics or religion anywhere for any reason.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 AM

632 posts, read 1,518,391 times
Quote:
This comment has me confused ....compared to where?

As of May 2012, the only county in WY where unemployment was above 6% was Teton County. In many counties, it is less than 5%.

Wyoming Jobless Rate Falls to 5.2% in May 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming