Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I don't know about that, EH ...
I drive a 1985 Ford F-250 4 wheel drive. So I have it if needed, however, I haven't locked in the hubs and put it in 4 wheel drive in over 5 years. That's on streets, county roads, highways and the interstate. So rear wheel drive has been just fine for a long time.

I have locked in the hubs and put it in 4-wheel drive while feeding horses or loading hay out in a field.

Our streets and roads are well maintained so 4 wheel drive has not been a factor in getting around.

Now, I would have different advice to someone that is going to live out of town on a county road that is not a school route.

But "Normal" (whatever that is in Wyoming) roads, streets and highways have been fine with 2 wheel, rear wheel drive vehicles.

Your winter may produce more snow down in the bottom corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgarwood View Post
This is a great idea. I never would have thought about that since I come from a place without such serious winter weather! If I happened to get stuck there, I could always just call family to come pull me out.
I carry a winter survival kit in my truck and use it if I'm going any distance. Around town, commuting to work and such, it's probably not needed, or at least a reduced kit would work just fine. Heavier winter clothes, road triangles, shovel, sand, etc.. But if you travel from town to town it's advised to have a well stocked emergency kit.

Some time ago, here on the forum, we posed the question of "If you could have a good emergency kit, what would you have in it?" So the list was put together by several people making suggestions. Interesting enough, I later got online and looked at what NOAA says is a good emergency kit. It wasn't much different then what we come up with. Maybe they copied our list?

The best advice is to put together a kit to keep you and your family safe for whatever drive you are going to make. I put everything together in a big duffle bag so I can throw it in the truck when traveling.

Our list:
--------------
Parka
atlas
basic first aid kit
bic lighter
Blankets
Breakfast bars
Candles 6-8
Chain or Strap
Chains or Cables
duck tape, neon orange
Empty Cups
Energy Bars
extra socks
flairs
Flashlights
Fuel
GPS
gun
hand/foot warmers
Ice Scraper
Insulated Bibs/coveralls
Jumper Cables
Leather gloves with liners
Matches, waterproof
Paper Towels
reading books
Relfective Triangles
Road Flares
Sand/kitty litter
Shovel
Snow brush
Toilet Paper
Watch caps or Balaclava
weather radio/cb handheld
whistle
Yellow Rotating Light

NOAA's list
-----------------
NOAA Weather Radio
Handheld or vehicle GPS (most valuable tool)
Flashlight
Extra Batteries
First aid kit
Blankets
Season-appropriate clothing
Whistle to signal for help
Dust mask
Moist towelettes, garbage bags & plastic ties
Basic Took Kit, Knife & Shovel
Axe or Saw
Tow Chain, straps or come-along
Spare Tire
Wire & Rope
Starter Fluid, extra oil, & De-icer
Flares
Kitty Litter or Sand
Booster Cables
Water
Non-perishable, high energy food
Local maps

Items to consider
Prescription Medications
Infant formula & diapers
Pet food & extra water
Copies of records in waterproof container
Cash or Traveler's checks and Change
Fire Extinguisher
Matcvhes in a waterproof container
Feminine supplies
Mess kits, paper cups, paper towels
Paper and pencil
Books, games, puzzles etc… for children
Special items for disabled family members

Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
(snip)

Your winter may produce more snow down in the bottom corner.
I expect so ...

You only have to look at the frequency and severity of the snowstorms that reach blizzard intensity and the black ice formation that is the primary cause for closing the roads around here in the WYDOT reports to know that we've got a more severe winter clime here in SE Wyoming than up in the greenbelt you live in.

We're almost at the Nebraska border, and it's a challenge to get on Hwy 30 or I-80 to Cheyenne on many winter days ... note, also, that I-25 from Cheyenne South gets closed a lot, too. Going over the Cheyenne Ridge is treacherous even when the road is open on many days due to the ice formation conditions there ....

Even though we live on a school bus route county road, these may not get plowed over a weekend. At that, the snowplow/road grader may only open up a single lane just to have the time to be able to get down all the roads they need to clear.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Default Rear-Wheel Drive Sports Car

I too have a rear-wheel drive sports car and I drive Wyoming roads in the winter. Add to that 400 hp, and traction is scarce on ice/snow. I invested in a good set of snow tires mounted on separate rims, so I just take them down and have the entire set put on before the 1st snowy drive. More cost up front but easier than having snow tires and all-weather rotated on/off same rims twice a year.

My Pontiac G8 was useless with stock tires on it in snow. Now it acts like any other snow-worthy vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming