Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 AM

38 posts, read 62,222 times

Advertisements

I am looking at property up in that area. Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on the area?
Thanks!

Leslie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,247,050 times
Did you do a search on Basin here on C-D? If not, you may want to do that to see what has been written about it. Basin is my home town. It's a sleepy little town with great people. Let me know specifically what you'd like to know and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM

64 posts, read 139,717 times
I haven't been there in 15 years and loved it. We used Mary Russell 307.568.7653 at Wyoming Realty, Jim Royal 307.587.5266 now at Eagle RE and Rita Lovell 307.527.7092 now at Canyon RE to find our properties.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 AM

324 posts, read 720,358 times
I lived over in Worland for a few years, always travelled thru Basin and Otto on the way west. Basin is the seat of government for Bighorn County.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM

38 posts, read 62,222 times
I am looking at a nice piece of property out there and was wondering about the highs and lows on temp were. Are there high winds?? That kind of stuff. The comuinty. Are they accepting of "outsiders"? or are they frendly. How about the schools?

We would be moving from az and have done a lot of looking around and we have settled on Wy for sure. The peice of property i found is excatly what we are looking for but i don't know about the area. All we want is a small family farm to raise our familys on. I can't stand the heat or the crap that our kids are exposed to in the citys. My hubby grew up a farm boy and I have worked on horse ranches and the likes so we know what kind of life we are asking for. Some small towns don't like people they don't know or that didn't grow up there moving in. Is this one of those towns?

Thanks,
Leslie

Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,380,796 times
City-Data has data pages on most communities that will answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Basin-Wyoming.html

I wish you all the best, but for the life of me, don't understand why people think of Wyoming as a good place to start a life in farming. The frigid, arid nature of the state pretty much stacks the deck against you. Those who are successful at it work really, really hard to make ends meet, and pray that the weather doesn't take it all away from them each year. Many of my ancestors were some of the first farmers and ranchers in Wyoming around Lovell and Manderson, from what I recall, they rarely had an easy year.

If you are looking for a farm, make sure the land you get has water rights/ditch rights, many do not. Rain fall is very low, so most farming relies on irrigation, which requires ditch rights. Almost all of the agricultural land there follows the Big Horn River course, where the land can be irrigated from the river. There is lots of land you can buy fairly cheap, but it has no water rights. Also the growing season is very short, I assume you know that is true of most all of Wyoming. I noticed someone in Manderson, near by, has put in a several green houses, that is a great idea for extending the growing season. Only 3-4% of the employment in the area is related to agriculture, hunting and fishing. For years when I was growing up in Wyoming, my grandparents had a farm between Manderson & Basin. As I recall sugar beets were the major crop there.

Also check out these other discussions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...-basin-wy.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...-greybull.html

I have passed through Basin hundreds of times, and helped my dad wire the Big Horn County Sheriff's Office there back when it was built around 1968. It seemed like a nice enough community but I didn't spend enough time there to tell you much about it. And I'm sure things have changed a lot since then.

georgiainwyo who responded above, is your best bet for answering your questions since she grew up there. Send her a Direct Message after you have looked at the information provided above. To send her a Direct Message, click on her name in the post above.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-29-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming