Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,072,469 times

Advertisements

Okay, now I'm going to make you move here and open a place, I even have the location for you, btw, healthy great food would be even better!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM

150 posts, read 520,340 times
I grew up in cody and moved my wife from victorville ca to rs in 02 she hated it I knew what the deal was Becaus I went to the college ther for a year. I am liveing around cody again for the last 2 years and am glad to be out of rs but I allso used iRS as a steping stone to some were else in wyoming. In my experience the people are nice in RS but it is hard to get to know any one people are allwas moving in and out of town and it is waaay windyer than cody. All of RS is like being by the cody airport all day. Good luck and welcome back to wyo.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 PM

208 posts, read 911,206 times
I may take you up on your opinion once we're up there an settled Earnie.... We have to make sure that this job is a good fit first! Speaking of which... is anyone here familiar with Gases Plus (welding/safety supplies and gases)? Any feedback on that outfit would be appreciated.

While we're at it, does anyone have an opinion on property there in RS? It seems that there is so much demand for short-term residences that the equilibrium on rentals (homes, apartments, and condos) is way up. We were going to wait a while to buy while we got settled (assuming this job works out anyway) so we could get to know the area, but after looking at the pricing/availability of rentals it may be more prudent to buy as soon as possible. Anybody know about the rental market... I've searched online but that's only going to give me a small snapshot.

As well, can we expect RS to stay fairly stable in regards to property values and overall economy, or is it one of those places that will take a dive at any time and we'll all be moving to a town that's alive? I'd really hate to buy a home and be upside down by $100k or something in a few years because the town barely exists and we bought during a boom that will never happen again. I'd also hate to pay those rents that I'm finding for apartments or homes the entire time we live there.

Any thoughts?

Bigreez - what you mention is exactly what I intend on doing. I would love to go back to Cody (on the river in Clark to be more specific), and I really like Sheridan although the outlying areas of those two towns (Powell, Buffalo, etc) would work too. However, I have to start somewhere, and I'll be finishing up my BA in the next couple of years, so the move to one of those areas from RS can be made. Our internet business is really the wild-card as well; the profit potential is very good if we can just get the time to continue the development/marketing.

The company that I am considering for employment also has locations in Cody and Sheridan, so once I know the ropes a transfer probably isn't out of the question if a position opens up and management isn't opposed.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM

According to the people with knowledge about the subject that we have talked to, it's going to take ten years just to put in all the gas "wells" and then there's who knows how many years of drawing off of them. So, in my opinion for the amount of time you'll be here you're definately better off to buy. We bought our house in a nice old neighborhood that needed some tlc, new roof, siding things of that nature. We paid $180,000 a year ago, it's now worth $205,000 at least. There aren't many places you can make that kind of money, in that amount of time. So if you plan to be here for a few years I would definately buy, the equity you make when you sell in a few years will set you up nicely in a place like Sheridan or Cody. Well, unless people are right and the millionaires take over Cody, but it doesn't seem that they have yet. It's a good move to find an older house in good shape in a great neighborhood and put a little sweat equity in it. If you end up moving here I'd be happy to help you locate the good old neighborhoods. There are some areas of RS I wouldn't live in if you paid me, and there are some very nice old neighborhoods to choose from, it's just hard know where to go if you haven't been here a little while. One street can be good but one street over can be horrible, as well as some streets that would be desirable get cancelled out because of one house on the block that you would guess is a meth house. Not that they're necessarily making it there but you know the people aren't desirable. I'm not a realtor, so you know. My husband and I are builders and I'm constantly searching for a house to "flip", so I've done a lot of driving around and searching neighborhoods. Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM
BBM

1 posts, read 2,009 times
Default Rock Springs

I moved to Rock Springs from Colorado almost a year ago. I'm originally from Wyoming so the surroundings here were of no surprise. It's definitely dry and deserty in spots, but it's everything surrounding us that makes me love living here! I've been to Cody, and the town is more touristy and has great scenery from there, but here you're close to Flaming Gorge, Salt Lake, Jackson Hole...not to mention great fishing, hiking, camping, boating, skiing, 4wheeling, hunting, biking, etc. Local residents are doing more and more every day to improve the town of Rock Springs. In my opinion, a town isn't the only thing that makes somewhere a great place to live. Every now and again I do miss the variety of bars and restaurants, but that's what makes going out of town that much more fun. As far as the drug problem, it's everywhere...and if you can pass a drug test then you've got nothing to worry about We're for sure in a boom and home prices are a little inflated, but I would say it's been steady for the past month or so. There are few places to rent and if you're looking for that type of thing the rent might be steep. New houses are being built everywhere, and there are plenty of existing homes for sale.

Hopefully this response helped you out, feel free to ask additional questions!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 18,615 times
We moved back to Wyoming a few months ago from Texas the housing was our biggest shock as most of what we looked at had no updating, tile, hardwood, granite and so, but they still wanted $200 or more a sq ft. Bad thing they include unfinished basements so if you see 3600 sq ft most likely you'll get 1800 finished at $375k that is $208 sqft and that was a shock as a brand new house in Texas would run $130sqft.

Anyway we chose Green River its 12 miles from RS and we LOVE it here.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 PM

Sewnfree - I'm not sure where you were looking...

Our houses are selling for $290 to $320 and have tile in them, as well as rock or stucco on the front. They're 1500 to 2032 sq. ft. on the main floors with unfinished basements.
The houses that are selling for over $350 are absolutely upgraded, with brick or stone and stucco, wood floors, tile etc. I drive by them all the time, and know the people that are building them.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 PM

9 posts, read 31,634 times
Okay, now i'm really worried! My housing needs are such that i need a bit of land for Horses (eventually, i can board them until then, i hope!) Meth is a big issue here in Idaho too, so i dont worry too much about that...we arent into that kind of thing and i hope we've instilled in our kids not to even try it! I homeschool my kids right now, but we have told them that they can try the schools there in Rock Springs or whatever little town we end up in. (Idaho schools suck...but that's another story) My hubbys job will be in the oil industry..mechanic. But, i refuse to pay 3000 a month for rent! No way!
Okay, i'm a little more nervous now! Other than the housing.....sounds like we will like it there!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM

592 posts, read 2,248,446 times
Heavenisahorse. There are several boarding places around but they aren't real fancy. There are some places in Rock Springs with land, mostly "north of town". Depending on where your husband will be working you might want to look at the Bridger valley or Limon/Mountain view areas. They are small towns but more rural/farmland type places.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 31,634 times
Default Borading..thanks!

Thanks so much! We dont need anything fancy...just a place to put them temporarily so we arent hundreds of miles away from them. Thanks again~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming