Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM

1,100 posts, read 738,611 times

Advertisements

^We can only hope they are typing on their phones,...

with mittens on.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,542,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
From the Renting Forum:

"I'm surprized anyone knows how to read."

Me, I'm surprised anyone knows how to spell!
This one is easy to misspell. Prize is with a 'z' so therefore surprize must have a 'z' also.

This is truly one word that I intentionally misspell when I am writing personal emails. Have been doing it since I was a teenager (in rebellion!), with no intentions of changing.

However, I will spell it 'surprise' when writing on a forum. I don't want to look stupid to the whole world... only those that know me well.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,411,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
This one is easy to misspell. Prize is with a 'z' so therefore surprize must have a 'z' also.
In a town where I used to live, there was a sign in front of a small business, announcing that they would design an, "advertizing campaign", for other businesses in the area.
I suspect that not many people took them up on this offer, because the last time that I drove through that town, the, "advertizing", company had disappeared.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,172,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In a town where I used to live, there was a sign in front of a small business, announcing that they would design an, "advertizing campaign", for other businesses in the area.
I suspect that not many people took them up on this offer, because the last time that I drove through that town, the, "advertizing", company had disappeared.
Both "advertizing" and "advertising" are bona fide spellings - apparently the z is used more in America. I live in Canada and am definitely more used to the latter, but I've seen both spellings used by Americans and Brits!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,411,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Both "advertizing" and "advertising" are bona fide spellings - apparently the z is used more in America. I live in Canada and am definitely more used to the latter, but I've seen both spellings used by Americans and Brits!

Well, most folks nowadays seem to think that the two words, "a lot", have been condensed into one non-word, "alot".
Does the reality that many people place that error in their writing somehow make that usage correct?

My Merriam-Webster Dictionary (published in the early '60s) does not list, "advertize", nor does my Encarta World English Dictionary, which was published in 1999. The Merriam-Webster is my old reliable reference source, but when I want to see if usage has changed since the '60s, I consult Encarta.

Also, because Encarta lists variations from one English-speaking country to another, I find it interesting to see the sometimes-different spellings listed in that book. However, Encarta does not seem to recognize, "advertizing", as a spelling from any English-speaking country.

You may well be correct about this being a valid/acceptable spelling, but, in my 65 years, the only instances when I have ever seen, "advertizing", were...on the aforementioned sign and in your post.

Would anyone else care to chime in on this question?

Last edited by Retriever; 04-14-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
Bad spellers of America UNTIE

Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,588,663 times
Quote:
I have to say, after I posted about surprise/surprize, I had to go back and look it up. I thought, is that one of those alternate Brit spellings? So many times I can't remember how to spell a word, because I've read many, many British novels, and not all of them had Americanized (Americanised?) spelling, depending on the edition.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, most folks nowadays seem to think that the two words, "a lot", have been condensed into one non-word, "alot".
Does the reality that many people place that error in their writing somehow make that usage correct?

My Merriam-Webster Dictionary (published in the early '60s) does not list, "advertize", nor does my Encarta World English Dictionary, which was published in 1999. The Merriam-Webster is my old reliable reference source, but when I want to see if usage has changed since the '60s, I consult Encarta.

Also, because Encarta lists variations from one English-speaking country to another, I find it interesting to see the sometimes-different spellings listed in that book. However, Encarta does not seem to recognize, "advertizing", as a spelling from any English-speaking country.

You may well be correct about this being a valid/acceptable spelling, but, in my 65 years, the only instances when I have ever seen, "advertizing", were...on the aforementioned sign and in your post.

Would anyone else care to chime in on this question?

Retriever, that would actually be a relief! I remember when moving over here (to North America from England) being quite shocked to see that "z" popping up and my father groaning "so THAT's how they spell it over here..." lol. I was mildy chastised when I used my "s" spelling at work once, when dealing with an ad agency, no less!

I agree with you that it's painful when useage evolves into correctness. Irregardless, alot of words your seeing 2day are coruptions of good words and I really, in this case, could care less!

Hmm. I wonder if "inflammable" was one of those words, as it means the same as flammable. "Irregardless" is in the dictionary although it does list it as incorrect. It needs to stay that way.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
Quote:
Retriever, that would actually be a relief! I remember when moving over here (to North America from England) being quite shocked to see that "z" popping up and my father groaning "so THAT's how they spell it over here..." lol. I was mildy chastised when I used my "s" spelling at work once, when dealing with an ad agency, no less!

I agree with you that it's painful when useage evolves into correctness. Irregardless, alot of words your seeing 2day are coruptions of good words and I really, in this case, could care less!

Hmm. I wonder if "inflammable" was one of those words, as it means the same as flammable. "Irregardless" is in the dictionary although it does list it as incorrect. It needs to stay that way.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Lol, good lad! But you missed 3 more. That entire sentence should have been red (and read!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.