Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,889,835 times

Advertisements

CD provides many.

Quote:
Grant it, that wasn't always the case, but it certainly is today.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM

284 posts, read 501,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pretty interesting! But that's not me. I have no problem with normal addition/subtraction/multiplication/division, nor do I have trouble figuring out percentages, such as when tipping. As a matter of fact, part of my job involves calculating scores on criteria multiplied by a weight, and I always do it on paper and beat the person with the calculator. And I have a great sense of direction (and I'm always stymied when people can't figure out which way is north, south, west, or east).

I do have issues with time...like when I look at a clock and what seems like two minutes later ten minutes have gone by.

It's algebra. And geometry.
Heh, I have problems with simple maths. I grasped the concept of algebra and geometry pretty easily but when it got down to actually solving the equations... well, I can't do simple maths even with a calculator -- you have to put in the correct numbers. It's the same with sciences. I get the concepts, but putting them into action? That's a little beyond my scope.

I also have difficulties with remembering numbers, dates, etc... and the concept of time. I never remember when something happened but I have a trick to remember appointments because I always forget calendars.

I'm great with directions and hardly ever get lost. Not everyone has every symptom, but it's a guideline. /derail.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM

3,862 posts, read 6,327,674 times
Pedastool.

It was in a local classified section describing the piece on which the washing machine sits.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,770,597 times
And I just saw a couple of my own typos.

Yes, I know better - but my fingers don't, I guess.

Not being perfect is one good reason to cut others some slack

Old 11-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And I just saw a couple of my own typos.

Yes, I know better - but my fingers don't, I guess.

Not being perfect is one good reason to cut others some slack
I don't think typos are really what I would consider the issue. It's using the wrong word, or just making one up from how it sounds - guessing on-the-fly.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,644,646 times
Anyone else starting to hear the word funnest?

Seems like it's starting to be acceptable.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM

284 posts, read 501,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Anyone else starting to hear the word funnest?

Seems like it's starting to be acceptable.
I used to spell the plural of bus "busses" now I understand that the preferred usage is "buses." Some dictionaries still list both... Busses is only found here in North America, I understand, but it's still a usage. Now I have to correct myself every time to not set off everyone's grammar alarm. But that's the way I was taught to spell it.

Some of the strong verbs are changing as well, which I think is just sad. I used to write "He dove into the water with the greatest of skill." Now it would be "He dived into the water with the greatest of skill." *shakes head* What can one do? Language changes.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM

44,466 posts, read 20,240,186 times
Egad, here's another that drives me nuts. I just copied and pasted this from another thread:

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,644,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Egad, here's another that drives me nuts. I just copied and pasted this from another thread:
A few years back we received a high school graduation party invitation with the words: Your invited.

Doesn't anyone profread anymore?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
A few years back we received a high school graduation party invitation with the words: Your invited.

Doesn't anyone profread anymore?
I would have responded, "My what?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing