Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,548,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
...however, I've not a Republican...
I didn't think you had a Republican. I thought maybe you were one, since you had to have a comeback that involved someone non-conservative. Maybe you're Libertarian, I dunno. I just noticed that you had to use Michael Moore for an answer and you said something about politics.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,561,380 times
I'm seeing this more and more: Bob an Sue walked down the street.

Seriously, did someone miss 4th grade English an that?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,924 times
Does anyone else think that the occasional misspelling or grammatical error can make a post/message stand out in a good way?

I sometimes see a typo as eye catching, and makes the post more interesting to read. I don't know why that is.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 AM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Does anyone else think that the occasional misspelling or grammatical error can make a post/message stand out in a good way?

I sometimes see a typo as eye catching, and makes the post more interesting to read. I don't know why that is.

Does it make something stand out in a good way?
I'm sorry, but I just don't view things the same way that you do.

Yes, a spelling or grammatical error does catch my eye, but I have a hard time taking the content seriously once I see a major flaw in a post. I am not referring to something that is clearly a typo, and instead I am referring to things like homonym confusion, run-on sentences, and other mistakes that effectively ruin a message for me.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Does it make something stand out in a good way?
I'm sorry, but I just don't view things the same way that you do.

Yes, a spelling or grammatical error does catch my eye, but I have a hard time taking the content seriously once I see a major flaw in a post. I am not referring to something that is clearly a typo, and instead I am referring to things like homonym confusion, run-on sentences, and other mistakes that effectively ruin a message for me.

I tend to focus on the overall content and message... some of my favorite posters don't have perfect grammar or spelling, but the quality of their thought and reasoning in their writing negates their less than perfect typing.

Also, can't posts in city-data be kind of casual? If it was a professional piece of writing, absolutely, it has to be correct.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM

The following was posted in the NJ Forum today:

How can u make my applitrack teacher application stand out its so impersonal

No, I am not focusing on the text-speak substitution of "u" for "you".
Instead, I see a post from somebody who apparently wants to become a teacher, and yet seems to have no understanding of either punctuation or the concept of run-on sentences.

All I can think of after reading that post is...For the sake of education, I hope that she goes opts for a different career.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Yeah, that one was really bad, but the whole post is off. He/she is asking how "we" can make "their" application stand out... isn't that their own responsibility. If they're asking for help with their application, they need to learn to communicate that request better in writing, and their writing skills, and possibly their overall communication skills, are probably what's hurting them during the application process.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Yeah, that one was really bad, but the whole post is off. He/she is asking how "we" can make "their" application stand out... isn't that their own responsibility? If they're asking for help with their application, they need to learn to communicate that request better in writing, and their writing skills, and possibly their overall communication skills, are probably what's hurting them during the application process.
Precisely!
That woman's post certainly does stand out as a result of her poor writing skills, and I fail to see how it could possibly be interpreted as being "good"--in any respect. Her post is memorable only as a result of her mistakes, and those mistakes give her essentially no credibility.

I think that, perhaps, you now get my original point.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Precisely!
That woman's post certainly does stand out as a result of her poor writing skills, and I fail to see how it could possibly be interpreted as being "good"--in any respect. Her post is memorable only as a result of her mistakes, and those mistakes give her essentially no credibility.

I think that, perhaps, you now get my original point.

I left the period at the end of that sentence deliberately. Just a rhetorical statement but thanks for your attention to detail.

I did get your original point but was offering a counter argument that there might be degrees of acceptable grammar and spelling, based on individual perception and the mode of communication However I totally get how seeing a post like that would drive anyone nuts. I wouldn't even bother to respond to the post.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Add -es to pluralize a word ending with -o, taken to its extreme:

you will have to modify your have toes and would like to haves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing