Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 PM

89,036 posts, read 85,623,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole111 View Post
A lot of grammatical mistakes don't faze me, and I have my share of stubborn incomprehensions (don't always understand the good/well rule of usage). But the following kills me, because I fail to understand how people of average intelligence make these mistakes time and time again:

People who don't understand that you only put quotation marks around something someone actually said. For instance, if a politician says, "Read my lips: no new taxes," and a person is quoting him, it drives me crazy if they write, "the politician has told us to "read his lips: no new taxes..." Who is the his in that quotation??? It is the politician! So why would the politician tell us to read "his" lips? He wouldn't. He would tell us to read "my" lips. Alteration of a quote for purposes of clarification requires the use of brackets--these things []!!--so as to reflect their true intention ("he told us to 'read [his] lips' regarding taxes.")

I just don't get paraphrasing with quotes when the two are generally mutually exclusive. Or did the people who do this miss the day that pronouns were taught in school, leading them to think 'his' and 'my' are interchangeable?

The above is the most grammatically stupefying example I have, right up there with misuse of the word 'literally' as a hyperbolic device, but that's already on the list. The 'literally' problem could be avoided ninety percent of the time if people just substituted the word 'practically' for 'literally.' ("My boss was practically foaming at the mouth when he heard those numbers.")

Something else that pains me is when someone uses an apostrophe, but without intending to convey a possessive or a contraction. I find this is most often employed with plural names: "Why didn't the McCoy's invite the Hatfield's to Christmas?" If no one is taking ownership of anything, just leave it alone! I think people are uncomfortable with slapping an 's' onto a name, so maybe they feel the need to dress it up with an apostrophe..? Crazy

I also detest redundancy. Why end a list with "etc., etc."? Did the first et cetera not fully express itself?
The apostrophe misuse has gotten noticeably bad recently, and I can't stand it.

Also the literally thing. Someone was telling me a story about how she embarrassed herself, and said she literally died. REALLY? How are you here?

Re redundancy, I can't stand "past experience", either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,581,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The apostrophe misuse has gotten noticeably bad recently, and I can't stand it.

Also the literally thing. Someone was telling me a story about how she embarrassed herself, and said she literally died. REALLY? How are you here?

Re redundancy, I can't stand "past experience", either.
Agree with both your posts. People just not being educated adequately anymore? Sad.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM

415 posts, read 562,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You pronounce "roof" as "wref"?

It is roooooooooof.
MightyQueen, I think you're right. After all, when I would ask my dog. "Muffin, what's on top of the house?", that's how she would answer.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM

415 posts, read 562,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What also annoys me is when people came into New England and thought a Frappe is a Milkshake, when they are two differant things.
The French translation for milkshake is "lait frappe". Given that a lot of people in Quebec travel to and vacation in New England (after all, it's right next door), it doesn't surprise me that there might be some confusion, particularly among French-Canadian visitors.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 AM
bjh

^
In northern NY I once heard a Quebecois in a McD's order a Beek Mock.

Last edited by bjh; 09-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
MightyQueen, I think you're right. After all, when I would ask my dog. "Muffin, what's on top of the house?", that's how she would answer.
That's a smart Muffin.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
^
In northern NY I once heard a Quebecois in a McD's order a Beek Mock.
There's a guy at work we all call Beanie, because he supervises a group of mostly-Costa Rican maintenance guys and that's what they call him. His name is really Vinnie.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Hmm. I just saw one I haven't seen before. Someone on the parenting forum asked for "Imput" on a subject. I figured it was a typo--the m is next to the n. But at the end of the thread, the poster mentions everyone's imput again.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
bjh

It's all an obstacle illusion.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM

5,873 posts, read 11,999,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It's all an obstacle illusion.
That's funny. I have a friend who says "optical delusion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing