Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,534,788 times

Advertisements

"This sight is like the wikipedia of forums...wondering what you guys whove been here a while think?"

I've often read that Wikipedia information is sometimes wrong.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,275,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
This is a peeve thread, and my peeve is that I don't like to see asterisks used in place of italics or quotation marks. It's just my preference.

I use the asterisks rather than capitalize the word or phrase. My intent is to emphasize. But I learned to type back before electric typewriters were common, and certainly before italics were available. Underlining always was, but I don't think we were taught to underline for emphasis. I think we learned to use all caps.

Now that I've done some Googling, I see that italics are the preferred way to emphasize. I'll have to think about that. Thanks for sharing the peeve. I had no idea it was annoying.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:58 PM

12,276 posts, read 8,709,016 times
And now from today's local paper:

"Deputies were sent to Chicago to get (perpetrator) Wednesday and he was processed into the local jail at Thursday."

They're beginning to get the idea, I think. Hope they keep trying.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:15 PM

284 posts, read 495,865 times
I actually have a friend who says "youse" and "sangwich" and I seen" for "I saw".
I try to correct him, while trying not to be annoying, but he has been speaking this way for over fifty years....

I belong to a running forum on which people often complain about injuries which "flair up" (flare up) or take too long to "heel" (heal).
Since my background is English I also find the American usage of "insure" meaning "ensure", as in "to ensure success" a bit jarring, but that is just a matter of usage! A really ridiculous English usage is the word used to describe things which may catch fire: in American English you would say "flammable" which makes perfect sense, but in English we say "inflammable" which should mean the opposite since the prefix "in" indicates the negative.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 PM

777 posts, read 1,885,974 times
From a response to a post in the Education/Colleges and Universities Forum:

With online programs, a lot of the schools will wave out of state tuition fees and just charge a flat rate.

Is that a wave hello or a wave goodbye?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM

26,638 posts, read 37,162,390 times
Inflammable is grammatically correct (as is "flammable"), although it's falling out of favor due to the confusion it causes. This explains it better that I can:

Flammable vs. inflammable - Grammarist

There is no difference in meaning between flammable and inflammable. Both describe things that are capable of burning or easy to ignite, but in all modern varieties of English, flammable is preferred.

Inflammable, derived from the verb inflame, is the original word. But because the first syllable is easily misinterpreted as the common negative prefix in- (as in, for example, inescapable, invulnerable, inorganic), the word has always caused confusion. Because this confusion can have dangerous real-world consequences, the shift from inflammable to flammable is welcome.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM

6,587 posts, read 17,632,250 times
I was reading a book review, and cringed when I saw this gem:

"I want to believe that true love concurs all."

I almost left a comment, but then decided not to bother.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,534,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I was reading a book review, and cringed when I saw this gem:

"I want to believe that true love concurs all."

I almost left a comment, but then decided not to bother.
I concur with your decision.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 AM

284 posts, read 495,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Inflammable is grammatically correct (as is "flammable"), although it's falling out of favor due to the confusion it causes. This explains it better that I can:

Flammable vs. inflammable - Grammarist

There is no difference in meaning between flammable and inflammable. Both describe things that are capable of burning or easy to ignite, but in all modern varieties of English, flammable is preferred.

Inflammable, derived from the verb inflame, is the original word. But because the first syllable is easily misinterpreted as the common negative prefix in- (as in, for example, inescapable, invulnerable, inorganic), the word has always caused confusion. Because this confusion can have dangerous real-world consequences, the shift from inflammable to flammable is welcome.
Thanks, but should it not be "enflammable" and "enflame"? English is full of exceptions to the rule!
Usually, as in "indestructible" or "ineffective" the prefix "in" means not.

Last edited by Geezerrunner; 08-06-2014 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Additional comment.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM

37,312 posts, read 41,849,531 times
It's a doggy dog world that we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing