Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:56 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times

Advertisements

"The exception that proves the rule" - is often misused (also by professionals) to mean that an unusual case proves an expected outcome is true, which doesn't even make sense. The phrase comes from a time when "prove" meant to test, like metals were proved or tested to make sure they were real gold or silver. So the meaning is "the exception that challenges the rule," showing that no outcome is predictable all the time, which does make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
a diamond dozen - for a dime a dozen

Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Many years ago, I knew a woman who would say that she needed a, "change of paste".

No, she was not referring to a desire for a new dentifrice.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
'Ten Hut!'....they say it in the movies so much I grew up thinking that this was really what was said. However, it made no sense to me and I eventually figured it out....'atten...tion!'

A very common misused word in both spoken and written form is 'occult'.
Some use 'occult' for 'a cult' as in, 'He's joined an occult'.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 PM

88,547 posts, read 84,738,350 times
My aunt once wondered why, when watching baseball games on TV, she could hear people yelling, "Hey, Jacoby!"

It was actually "Hey, getchyercoldbeah!"

Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My aunt once wondered why, when watching baseball games on TV, she could hear people yelling, "Hey, Jacoby!"

I took my wife to a baseball game and, after about three innings, she turns to me and asks "Why does he say 'At the Vatican?'" The announcer was actually saying "Up to bat again."

Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

No, no, no!
It is a little-known fact that the British actor, Derek Jacobi, is a huge fan of baseball, and that he tries to be in attendance at as many games as possible when he is in The US. Your aunt was simply hearing other fans acknowledging Mr. Jacobi's presence at the stadium.

It was just unfortunate that they mispronounced his name.

Derek Jacobi - Biography

Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
When my younger brother was little, he thought we were saying nail rather then mail. When he heard the nailman walk onto the porch, he would run to get the nail. I'm not sure when he learned of the error, but he was not happy we didn't tell him.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:37 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, no, no!
It is a little-known fact that the British actor, Derek Jacobi, is a huge fan of baseball, and that he tries to be in attendance at as many games as possible when he is in The US. Your aunt was simply hearing other fans acknowledging Mr. Jacobi's presence at the stadium.

Derek Jacobi - Biography

Now that is a good plausible story, however it's not the real baseball story. The World Series is happening this week and the Boston Red Sox have a player named Jacoby Ellsbury and everyone loves him. She is really hearing "Jacoby". My own mishearing is from a Mario race game I play with my son. I hear, "It's a pickle." Mario actually says, "Let's go!"

Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

88,547 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, no, no!

Derek Jacobi - Biography

That's pretty funny. My uncle's name was Jacob, so I think that's why it was in her head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing