Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,463,797 times

Advertisements

Plastic. Not so prized as when it was first invented.

"An eye for an eye" in context actually is a plea for merciful justice. Take only an eye for an eye, not thorough anger-fueled vengeance up to and including death.

Elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,031,266 times
Thing is though, many of those phrases mentioned are only negative in a certain context.

If you just said the word "special" or "plastic", I would have no gut reaction to it being a negative word. I can still think of many more cases where "special" means especially good, not especially bad (well, if you went to the restaurant, the daily "special" could be amazing or it could be awful; a "special" offer can either be a good deal or a scam! A "special" procedure might mean something that's a hassle if you have to go through the motions at work, or frightening if your doctor says it. Something that is "special" to me, if said at a personal level, though would tend to be very positive -- a special someone, for instance, or a special occasion). Plastic seems plain to me, but not "bad", at least on first reaction. If you said plastic in a sense of "phony" or "fake" or even if I see it associated with "chemical" or "artificial", then certainly there is a negative association that pops up.

An "eye for an eye" does seem mostly negative to me, though, now.

"Elite" also seems snobby now too but I don't have too strong of a reaction to it (it just sounds like someone is full of themselves).

Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,181,964 times
I encountered one in Spanish, when my doctor in Chile asked me if my pain was "exquisito"---a word that normally means the same as 'exquisite' in English. I suppose it could be used the same way in a doctor-patient conversation in English, and the prospect of "exquisite pain" is not something I would look forward to as an improvement on just ordinary pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing