Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

About the only unusual thing I remember one grandmother saying was "dear", as in something that was too expensive was "dear." It makes sense, but as I kid I remember thinking "Why does Gram love veal so much?" LOL That use may have been common -- and might still be -- in Appalachia, where Gram lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
drag race?

Yes!! Thanks.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
These are terms I know regarding using the toilet.

The necessary
Water closet

Take a powder.
I have to see a man about a horse. (The Freudian/phallic symbolism in this statement always makes me laugh.)
I have a sign in my bathroom. I found it at a yard sale. It says "Necessary Room" LOL

I never heard "take a powder" meaning to use the bathroom. I heard it used in the context of running away. Like a criminal leaving the area when he's wanted.

Years ago, I remember a store had a sign stating "No Facilities" Turns out it meant no public rest room.

There was a sign in the Broad Street Subway in Philadelphia that said "Commit No Nuisance". As a precocious reader, I was five when I read it asked my Grandmother what it meant. She blushed and said, reluctantly, that it meant not to go to the bathroom. I pondered that for a while and when we were on the train and headed for downtown, I loudly asked, "Does that mean I can never go to the bathroom again?" LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM

697 posts, read 1,281,615 times
summer kitchen
2 holer ( if you were wealthy)
the rabbit died
water off the potatoes

Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Opps, I tried to shorted it but deleted too much.

Your heritage shows! I have similar--my Dad's family came from Yorkshire. So I am not the only one who was told to take my WHEEL TO THE PARK! "Shes out on her wheel." I have so many English words and foods and expressions, and traditions that I never knew were English.

Back to American words.

the wireless. Didn't that mean radio?

In our generation we had transistors (radios.)
IN the era of radio.....there was a lot of talk about "tubes" (pre- transister)...and if the radio wasnt coming in clearly....someone would check that the "tubes" were all plugged in tightly, also we would wait for the set to "warm up".

The big floor model radio (with the electronic eye under the dials) sat on the floor in the "parlor" not in the front room or Living room. The parlor became the family room in modern parlance.

But in old New England homes there were two front rooms.....one was sometimes refered to as "the peacher's parlor"......That was the best and most formal room....reserved for special company and for wakes, funerals, weddings etc. The association of the parlor with funerals....probably led to the mortician calling their facility.....the funeral parlor.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times
Default rabbit

I thought "the rabbit died" meant that you were pregnant.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM

My mother used to say, "Cripes!" as sort of an expletive.

Also (and spelled phonetically as I've never seen the word in print), "Crime-a-nenta-leez!" No idea where she ever came up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I thought "the rabbit died" meant that you were pregnant.

It does. (Or did.)

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
My mother used to say, "Cripes!" as sort of an expletive.

Also (and spelled phonetically as I've never seen the word in print), "Crime-a-nenta-leez!" No idea where she ever came up with that.
Crimenently was an expletive in our family. Matter of fact, my granddaughter uses it often. And it didn't need to be "deleted". LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM

"washing" - noun: laundry. "I have to get the washing done today."

"strop" - verb: to sharpen a straight razor by running it back and forth on a thick, leather strap. My father used a straight razor and would "strop his razor" when it became dull. (And I was administered many a "stropping" with that strap, too!)

"tan your hide" - see "strop".

"tarnation" as in "What in tarnation is that?"

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
When we were on a car trip and he needed to stop to use the bathroom, my father (born 1913) used to say "I have to sharpen my skates." I have NO idea where that expression came from and have never heard anyone else use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing