Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM

152 posts, read 767,030 times

Advertisements

Puddin' Tame came from an old nursury rhyme !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Click on the word-link below, to read a long list of terms from 100 years ago, that are referenced in the beloved Broadway musical play / movie "The Music Man"

glossary

Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Click on the word-link below, to read a long list of terms from 100 years ago, that are referenced in the beloved Broadway musical play / movie "The Music Man"

glossary
The person who started this thread categorized the list and posted it somewhere on a web site but I don't remember where. The link is several pages back.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Oh yeh.

What's your name?

Puddin Tame.

But that's all I know of it.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
"Cross." I was thinking about this today as I was pulling weeds in the vegetable garden, about how cross the weeds and the mosquitoes and the heat were making me, and how that word is not often heard these days. But it suited my mood perfectly! I'm going to start using it more often.

Not sure if my grandparents ever used it ... Mostly it was a word I read in old novels.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
What's your name? Puddin Tain. Ask me again and I'll tell you the same.

or

What's your name? Puddin Tain. Where do you live? Down the drain. What's your number? Cucumber. What do you eat? Baby's feet.

It's Puddin Tain - someone who isn't royalty. Not tame

My grandmother used that - and she said things were the Cat's Meow, and she called us Darling, and when she was exasperated she said "Oh posh."

Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

or

What's your name? Puddin Tain. Where do you live? Down the drain. What's your number? Cucumber. What do you eat? Baby's feet.

My grandmother used that - and she said things were the Cat's Meow, and she called us Darling, and when she was exasperated she said "Oh posh."
"Cat's meow" - I haven't heard that in years. Also "cat's pajamas".

"High test" - premium gasoline. Also "ethyl".

Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

or

Thank you, AnonChick. My mother used to say that rhyme but I never saw it in print.

This is OT but she used to sing a song that went--"Playmate, won't you come and play with me, and bring your dollies three (or something)--------holler down my rain barrel, slide down my cellar door and we'll be jolly friends forever more."

(The next verse the friend's dolly had the FLU, boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo.)

Okay, just some nostalgia that came along with Puddin Tain. Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Cross." I was thinking about this today as I was pulling weeds in the vegetable garden, about how cross the weeds and the mosquitoes and the heat were making me, and how that word is not often heard these days. But it suited my mood perfectly! I'm going to start using it more often.

Not sure if my grandparents ever used it ... Mostly it was a word I read in old novels.
Yes, I remember that being used a lot. What just popped up from the dim recesses of my memory is a story of a girl named Alice, who with her younger brother and sister was kidnapped by Indians in the early days of the country. Her brother and sister took to living with their new family, but Alice didn't like it there and wanted to go home. Her brother and sister name her "Two Sticks" because she is "as cross as two sticks".

Eventually her adopted mother gives up and brings her back to her house, but every year leaves her a gift of a new buckskin dress at the edge of the woods.

LOL, I remember that the story doesn't ever say what Alice's parents think of the fact that two of their other children never returned home.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
My mom told me the next verse of that little song was " My dolly's got the flu, boo hoo boo hoo, ain't got no rain barrel, ain't got no cellar door, but we'll be jolly friends forevermore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing