Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,222,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"rake", "rapscallion", "knave", "bounder", "rotter", "cad", "cur", "dastard", "blackguard" - a scoundrel

"propositioned" - used in past tense and indicates an indecent suggestion to engage in immoral behavior as in "He propositioned me".

"damper" - noun: a movable plate for regulating the draft in a stove. When applied to a person, indicates someone who spoils the good mood, esp. at a party.

"killjoy" - see damper

"fuddy-duddy" - see killjoy

"stick-in-the-mud" - see fuddy-duddy

"tar", "salt" - a seafaring man

"doughboy" - a WWI soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sorry for being such a killjoy, but the ductwork for my furnace has dampers. So does the fireplace. What else would you call 'em?

Or am I one of those fuddy-duddies who clings to words that are now deemed old-fashioned by those hip and in the know?

Did you miss the first part that gave the proper definition of "damper"?

As for your question, although my post was impersonal and intended to satisfy the intent of the OP, if the shoe fits,
wear it.

"113 or Information" - "411 or Directory Assistance"

"station break" - now usually "hard break" or just "break"

"motor car" - car, automobile. "Motor" was also used as a verb as in, "We'll motor to church this morning instead of walking".

"hillbilly" - mostly called "rednecks" today

"hillbilly music" - "country western" or "CW music"

"from here to Timbuktu" - a great distance

"tennis shoes" - had canvas uppers, rubbers soles and laces; an athletic shoe. Leather soled shoes, which most shoes were 75 years ago, were not good for running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My grandmother used an expression all the time:

"A place for everything and everything in it's place!"
And my grandfather would say: "Only cows have places!" He'd say that when people would argue over where they were going to sit at the dinner table. I don't know what that means, or if cows really have places or not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"tennis shoes" - had canvas uppers, rubbers soles and laces; an athletic shoe.
"Tennis shoes", whether or not the shoes are designed for the courts, is quite common usage in the Midwest; a synonym for "sneakers".

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And my grandfather would say: "Only cows have places!" He'd say that when people would argue over where they were going to sit at the dinner table. I don't know what that means, or if cows really have places or not ...

"Tennis shoes", whether or not the shoes are designed for the courts, is quite common usage in the Midwest; a synonym for "sneakers".
Ignore, like Google, is my friend.

"old-tymie" - adjective: used when describing something that is no longer new but may still be in use e.g. a player piano.

"thrice" - 3x

"libertine" - one who, if it feels good, does it

"flippers" - swim fins

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 03-14-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
vittles=food

Sunday dinner=back when we had a big dinner with a tablecloth and good china every Sunday after church.

Sat'day night supper=beans and franks, maybe only in New England

Hold your horses!!!!!=whoa, wait a minute, not so fast.

lay your cards on the table=the facts!

cruisin' (what did that mean?)

hourglass figure--what Marilyn Monroe had.

p.s. I heard a woman in a store today say, "Magic Marker." I informed her that now we're supposed to call it a maker and she said, "Who cares?" That's the spirit! LOL
Wow, flashback! When I was in grade school, in the 50's, it was a big priviledge to get to go around to the other classrooms and write the room numbers on the playground balls with a Magic Marker. I can still smell it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
"damper" - noun: a movable plate for regulating the draft in a stove. When applied to a person, indicates someone who spoils the good mood, esp. at a party. I like the second definition too.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

"persnickety" - fussy, critical

"bonnet" - still a good word but was once used to refer to any hat a woman wore

"a bee in her bonnet" - upset

"fibbertigibbit" - a gossip

Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, flashback! When I was in grade school, in the 50's, it was a big priviledge to get to go around to the other classrooms and write the room numbers on the playground balls with a Magic Marker. I can still smell it.
Yeah, that and the smell of ink fresh from the mimeograph machine.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

"git-fiddle" - a guitar

"cocky" - arrogant

"fop" - a man who is vain about his appearance or dress

"dandy" - a fop; may also apply to a fop who wears a lot of bling

"gussied up" - usually applied to a woman who is dressed up, perhaps overly so.

"pismire" - an ant

"pissant" - a type of ant. When applied to a person, denotes someone who is insignificant.

"ear bobs" - earrings

"bob" - verb: to clip or cut; refers to getting your hair cut and styled. Ex: "How do you like my new bob?"

"blowhard" - a know-it-all

"hifalutin" - adjective: applied scornfully to people who think their money gives them class or who think they are better than others.

"city slicker" - someone from the "big city" in contrast to a "farm boy".

"hoodlum" - a gangsta; street thugs

"hooligan" - see "hoodlum"

"larapin" - delectable; good flavor

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 03-14-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM

"Streamliner" - the first diesel powered locomotives were called "Streamliners" and for many years this is how we referred to any non-steam powered locomotive.

"Pullman" - this was the sleeping car

"diner" - the dining car. Originally, "diners" as a small cafe were converted dining cars that had been relocated to a stationary location. Here is an example of one:

"Smoking car" - also called the "lounge car". This is where smoking was allowed; alcoholic drinks were also served here.

"Coach car" - had only upright seating accommodations.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM

"horse opera" - a cowboy movie, often starring someone like Tom Mix, Gene Autry or Roy Rogers

"shoot-'em-up" - a horse opera

"six-shooter" - a pistol with a revolving chamber that held six bullets

"ten gallon hat" - the wide brimmed, tall crown hats cowboys wore

"chawing tobacco" - chewing tobacco; often abbreviated to "chaw"

"cuspidor" - a brass container with a wide lipped brim that sat on the floor in every saloon for cowboys to spit their "chaw" into

"spittoon" - a cuspidor

"draw" - a ravine that cowboys often chased the outlaws into for the final gun battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing