Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 05:00 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,756,803 times

Advertisements

Dungarees, (jeans) Victrola (for record player) Frigidaire for refrigerator, gallivant, (for having a good time at night that might involve carousing) keeping company with (dating) necking (making out - kissing, not sex, Holy Roller church - a Pentecostal church, Grammar School (for elementary school) common (for low class or a women of questionable virtue) valise (suitcase).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 06:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,377,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Dungarees, (jeans) Victrola (for record player) Frigidaire for refrigerator, gallivant, (for having a good time at night that might involve carousing) keeping company with (dating) necking (making out - kissing, not sex, Holy Roller church - a Pentecostal church, Grammar School (for elementary school) common (for low class or a women of questionable virtue) valise (suitcase).
Record player is itself an old fashioned word, no? My grandmother called umbrellas, “parasols” and handbags “pocketbooks.” But my mother called her handbags, “purses,” and that is also old fashioned now.

I wish I could remember more of how my grandparents talked. I can remember their voices better than their vocabularies.

Now my mother—born in 1918 in OK—she had a fairly unique vocabulary. I think I’ve posted elsewhere about some of her terms.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:06 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,913,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Record player is itself an old fashioned word, no? My grandmother called umbrellas, “parasols” and handbags “pocketbooks.” But my mother called her handbags, “purses,” and that is also old fashioned now.

I wish I could remember more of how my grandparents talked. I can remember their voices better than their vocabularies.

Now my mother—born in 1918 in OK—she had a fairly unique vocabulary. I think I’ve posted elsewhere about some of her terms.
I still say pocketbook. I've given up trying to train myself to say purse. When I hear purse I think of a small change purse. So now it's handbags? That sounds so formal, like something we would take to the prom. I'll stick with pocketbook, lol.

Another old timey word was to go courting. I've only read that, never heard anyone say that.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:22 PM

11,099 posts, read 7,088,747 times
My maternal grandpa, who lived with us until I was an adult, called me a "little hoosier" and a "scalawag" when I was a kid. I loved it. I knew what the words meant, but I didn't care. To him it was an endearment. Looking back, he probably said it when he was exasperated!

My father who is 99 likes to combine words or adulterate words, like "nosmo king." for no smoking or "ossifier" when telling a joke about being stopped by a traffic cop.

On summer trips we used to make up words out of license plates (California and Arizona) and keep score.

Not too long ago TV's were often called the "boob tube" or "idiot box."

My mom used to call the couch or sofa a "divan." Not too often though.

Recliners were called an "easy chair."

Pizza was sometimes called "pizza pie."

Pantyhose was called "stockings" or "hosiery."

What is now called Spanx was called a "girdle."

Oh! My paternal grandmother born in 1895 used to say "brass-e-ERR" for brassiere. Do some of y'all even know what a brassiere is? LOL

Old 11-06-2021, 08:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,583,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I still say pocketbook. I've given up trying to train myself to say purse. When I hear purse I think of a small change purse. So now it's handbags? That sounds so formal, like something we would take to the prom. I'll stick with pocketbook, lol.
how funny. Pocketbook sounds old fashioned to me; I picture a purse that's flat, stiff, and hard like a book. Handbag is just as dated, but I picture a large, fat, saggy purse. A purse is everything in between.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Another old timey word was to go courting. I've only read that, never heard anyone say that.
I think the modern word for those things women carry everywhere is bag. I recently posted about my “crossbody bag” as a matter of fact.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:51 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,429,849 times
Quote:

I think of pocketbook as New England lingo. I grew up in the Midwest and no one, young or old, used that word for purse. I've only heard it since I moved to MA.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:09 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,447,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnookums View Post
oil cloth. thats linoleum which is now called vinyl sheet flooring.
Oil cloth is not linoleum. And you can still get it.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:33 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,583,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Oil cloth is not linoleum. And you can still get it.
Both of them. And neither are sheet vinyl.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnookums View Post
oil cloth. thats linoleum which is now called vinyl sheet flooring.
Linoleum is not the same product as sheet vinyl. They are both used as flooring, but they aren’t the same product. I believe you can still buy linoleum.

As another poster pointed out, oil cloth is not the same as either. Oil cloth used to be used as tablecloths. You could buy it by the yard at the “dime store.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing