Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,418,797 times

Advertisements

(brought on by the "What Makes A Good Writer" thread)

Being an avid reader, I've always been intrigued by the editing process - it can really make or break a book, a story, an article, etc.

I'm curious - in the case of a longer book (as opposed to an article) do you read the entire book first and then start editing? Or can you start after a few chapters?

Do you skim the book, or sit down and read each word?

What if you are not interested in the story, does that make a difference?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM

7,178 posts, read 12,762,532 times
Since I edit shorter pieces (features, essays and such) I cannot address your question about book editing. From bios and auto-bios I've read about book writers and their editors, their relationship can be close and personal or acrimonious. Writers can be hellions or angels to work with...

However, I'm about three-quarters done in writing a book-length work of fiction. As far as my editing process, I'm writing the first draft and letting the story flow, making editorial changes as suggested by my writing group as I go along, and then will go through and do a complete first edit.

When that's done, I intend to give it to several trusted writing friends for them to read and critique and then do a second edit based on their commentaries...

In the end, I hope to find a publisher/editor/agent who is enchanted with the work and is great to work with (as I plan to be) so we all get a happy final product that makes us all proud. It's a team effort to get a book published. An enthusiastic editor would be crucial to the book's success.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,396,774 times
EL:

I don't edit because, I don't have the time, but my common sense tells me that in an attempt to edit an entire book, one would have to read the entire book first to get the flavor, the theme, the plot and the characters. Of course, spelling can be done immediatley. One can't possibly suggest a change in any part of a book until one has read and understands the entire piece.

So write the entire pc, and then, hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing in the edit process. Please take the criticism as constructive and learn from it since most editors have seen all of the writer mistakes and glitches before they have read your work.

Particular and explicit changes that are singular to your work is another story since it may or may not be right with what you are trying to impart to the reader as the writer. If the editor tells you it is unclear, make the change. If the editor tells you it is good, but there is a better way, consider it. If the editor says it works, but could be shortened to make your point, and you like the way you have the flair in it, you could refuse, but I think it is always a good idea to listen to the people you hire since you are paying them for their expert advice. Yes, you usually have to pay your editor unless you are Stephen King or some other famous writer.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,354,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
EL:

I don't edit because, I don't have the time, but my common sense tells me that in an attempt to edit an entire book, one would have to read the entire book first to get the flavor, the theme, the plot and the characters. Of course, spelling can be done immediatley. One can't possibly suggest a change in any part of a book until one has read and understands the entire piece.

So write the entire pc, and then, hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing in the edit process. Please take the criticism as constructive and learn from it since most editors have seen all of the writer mistakes and glitches before they have read your work.

Particular and explicit changes that are singular to your work is another story since it may or may not be right with what you are trying to impart to the reader as the writer. If the editor tells you it is unclear, make the change. If the editor tells you it is good, but there is a better way, consider it. If the editor says it works, but could be shortened to make your point, and you like the way you have the flair in it, you could refuse, but I think it is always a good idea to listen to the people you hire since you are paying them for their expert advice. Yes, you usually have to pay your editor unless you are Stephen King or some other famous writer.
Something I've noticed is that sometimes we as writers forget that we own the universe. We know everything. And sometimes we forget to tell the reader, or don't do it well enough. This is something which only someone who hasn't shared intimate discussions of your personal universe can see. Thats where those "where did this come froms" and the "what is he talking about" comments come from. And its always good to ask how the reader sees the characters too. Yes, every person has their own way of interpreting them, but if nobody sees yours perhaps you didn't put enough of your vision in the text.

What is even more interesting is the little things others see which escape your, especially symbollic things. But you don't have to because your used to it.

I've started one which got ambushed by some old personal trauma, and spent a while talking with a writing buddy about things like structure and character and the like because when I was writing I was all about the emotion. But the structure of the story and the believability of the character didn't match. So I'm redoing it with a plot structure and a modified character so I CAN put my own experience into it. But only with anothers eyes could I see what to do about it.

Its absolutely true that its a team effort. Find a good editor, paid or not, and let them do their thing. And allow yourself to learn from it.

I have a six hundred page story which a friend of mine edited. We did it section by section. When it got to the point it was ready I went on to the next. I don't know if pros do it that way, but for something long it works for me.

I've noticed a few authors books get worse the more money they make because they are "above" editing. Nobody ever gets to that place.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,418,797 times
Interesting, thanks for the insight everyone! I can safely say I will no longer blindly assign the entire credit for a good book to the author alone.

Quote:
I've noticed a few authors books get worse the more money they make because they are "above" editing.
Some may not agree with me, but - in my opinion - Stephen King books are now barely readable compared to his earlier stuff. ex: Carrie, 'Salems Lot, The Stand, Talisman - all of those I read multiple times. I think the last King I read was Rose Madder or maybe that Tom Gordon one. Meh to both of them.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM

608 posts, read 1,351,208 times
My gf is an editor...or wants to be.

She comments all the time on the bad grammar as she watches television, I had to listen to her complain because the commercial for gum said it smelled delicious.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
- in my opinion - Stephen King books are now barely readable compared to his earlier stuff. ex: Carrie, 'Salems Lot, The Stand, Talisman - all of those I read multiple times. I think the last King I read was Rose Madder or maybe that Tom Gordon one. Meh to both of them.
IIRC, some of the later "Stephen King" books are actually written by others; he just puts his name on the cover. The same is true of several big-name authors like Tom Clancy.

Because of this, when I'm considering a book by a favorite author, I take a few minutes to ensure that he or she actually wrote it.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,539,690 times
As to the question of how one edits a full-length manuscript, I do it one unit at a time. A unit can be a chapter or a sub-section of same. This is both when editing my own work and when editing for another writer. I agree that the editor needs to get a big-picture concept before editing in detail.

Most of the editing I do for others is business writing, such as reports, recommendations and proposals. I also teach a fundamental business writing program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing