Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,113 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever taught English abroad? Where? What were your experiences, good and bad? How did you get certified and hired?

If you're currently looking to get into this field, how's it progressing for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Cre8
We've talked about this here.
Check out this thread

Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Cre8
We've talked about this here.
Check out this thread
I appreciate the heads up, Cil. I'd actually seen that thread before, which deals more with traveling/living abroad in general terms, but my questions are specifically regarding teaching English abroad. (I'm foreign born, myself, incidentally, so I've lived outside of the U.S.)

Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Have you been to this website yet?

ESL Cafe

Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Have you been to this website yet?

ESL Cafe
Very helpful, thanks! Still interested in personal anecdotes from people who have worked, or are pursuing opportunities in this field.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,783,040 times
I taught english in Taejon, South Korea. It isn't anywhere as crazy there as it is in Seoul and Pusan despite being a town of over one million souls. Taejon is actually really spread out and very quiet. I usually got around by bus. I loved the town, the parents of the kids I taught as well as my adult students were all cool to me. The kids are mellower than their U.S. counterparts. Korean radio is also good. Not much on television.

Unfortunately, at least at the time (mid-1990's), they didn't have any english language book stores. I was trying to learn Korean, but I was making slow progress because I was teaching a lot of hours during the week and didn't really get out much to try to practice it on the natives.

The food was killer. I like spicy food and it is particularly great on those bone chilling zero degree days (it keeps getting colder until about 9 a.m. and then begins to warm up).

Korean women are gorgeous, but there is a hardness to them that is emblematic of the Korean people as a whole. They are very passionate and smart, but also very materialistic.

Okay, now here's the unpleasant side: the english language academy industry in Korea is rather dirty. Lots of flouting of immigration regulations, school owners being poor managers, cheating teachers out of pay, even sexual harassment of female staff. They also have it in for blacks because of the Rodney King riots and so it is tough sledding for black folks to get hired there. I had one of my adult female students, a Phd, by the way, ask me if all blacks in the U.S. were criminals. And that is despite the fact that she has been around the block more than most Koreans (speaks three languages well, has lived in Japan, husband has an advance degree).

I have also seen some teachers have problems in Taiwan, but not on the scale that you do in Korea.

The place to teach is in Japan. It is much more foreigner friendly (though the rural areas are more trying unless you speak Japanese), there is a boatload more to do, more foreigners and more Japanese who want to hang out with you and it pays the best. NOVA, which is one of the largest chain schools, is to be avoided at all costs if the government hasn't shut them down yet. AEON is better and you might also look into Kevin's English schools, which are run by a Canadian and his Japanese wife.

The main thing about teaching in Asia is to remember that they are top down, paternalistic societies where nobody is equal. Somebody is either higher or lower in status depending on a whole panoply of factors. So the people who run the schools pretty much expect you to blindly obey them. The Japanese also strongly believe in doing things according to forms and the textbooks they will force you to use often times suck. You just have to deal with it and do the best you can. Also remember that these are cultures that tend to prize indirectness, so directly criticizing your boss could make him lose face. So there is some diplomacy involved. Bosses feel like they can say anything to you because, under the Asian moral system, you owe them for them hiring you. It might sound condescending, but to them it is a natural way of thinking. Japanese society is based on a seemingly unending exchange of favors. So have lots of patience, take things gradually and prod rather than push.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 AM

10 posts, read 32,643 times
Maybe this site?

Italo-Americana Association (http://www.italo-americana.org/workopportunities.cfm?language=english&section=wor kopportunities&page=workopportunities.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up Thanks, RobE and regivar

Great info and story, RobE! That's exactly the type of insight I was hoping for. Appreciate the link, regivar.

Thanks to both of you!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
TeachBrave is looking for experienced ESL teachers who can commit to a spring start date at locations all over China. Salary package: 10,500RMB, flight reimbursement, monthly housing allowance, contract completion bonus, full health, and paid holidays. The school is also offering a 16,000RMB sign-on bonus if you can start in April or May!!! Contact [email]amy@teachbrave.com[/email] for more information

Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I taught English in Jordan for two years. It was too long ago to be of any relevance today as to the requirements and the hiring procedures. But I will say that I loved every minute of it. I had no prior experience, no training, and I had never even thought about doing it. I was asked if I wanted to do it, I said Sure, and it took about a minute to get over life-long stage-fright in front of a wonderful class. On my days off, I actually looked forward to getting back to my classes. It's just one of the experiences that make me think I've lived a charmed life.

I left Jordan with the intent of picking up the same line of work in Madagascar, where I'd been promised a position. But when I got there overland, I discovered that while I was en route, the revolutionary government had decided not to grant any work visas to foreigners, and to not renew any already in effect. So that ended a short career. Had I known that, I'd have accepted a job offer in Sudan while passing through. In most countries, in the '70s, all that was required was to be a reasonably articulate native speaker of English. The few people who had TEFL degrees or even credits were simply way overqualified.

Perhaps I might also add that when I was in Korea 15 years ago, I talked to quite a few Americans who were on teaching contracts. Quite a few of them (by no means all) were very disappointed with the way things turned out, many of them saying that what they got (wages, housing, hours, benefits, etc.) were quite different from what they had been promised. So check carefully, if you accept a job sight unseen.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-28-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World