Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 10:30 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Western/Central Asians, African Americans, Puerto Ricans

maybe Indonesians, Melanesians or Aboriginal New Zealanders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 02:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,186 times
Filipinos aren't that diverse compared to some groups, but we have our own type of diversity. We have 4 main "racial" groups.

In order of when they arrived to the Philippines:

1. "Negrito"- There are about 30 different negrito tribes in the Philippines. These are the original Filipinos who were in the Philippines thousands of years before anyone else. They're a tiny minority now, but DNA studies show that the average lowland Filipino is between 5-10% Negrito. These examples are very "pure"-looking negritos, but most look very mixed now

2. "Moreno"/"Kayumanggi" which basically mean the native brown Austronesian people. They're the vast majority of the population. But even they can range in phenotypes:

3. "Chinoy/"chinito"- These are visibly Chinese-mixed Filipinos. They're the largest minority- and they can range from mixed to fully Chinese.

4. "Mestizo"- These are visibly Spanish-mixed Filipinos. They can range from moderately mixed to fully European. The fully European types are very rare.

Probably every Filipino can tell you which of these 4 "races" they belong to. Race is important in the Philippines because of the racial hierarchy that the Spanish created during colonial times. We also have some groups that aren't considered native to the Philippines yet- like Indians- there's a pretty big community in the Philippines. And Americans- remember that the Philippines used to be an American colony. So there's still plenty of American-descended people

Last edited by manolopo; 01-11-2021 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 11:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Once again the confusion between ethnicity and nationality. I mean since when is Puerto Rican, Indonesian or Filipino an ethnicity. What nonsense.

My guess is somewhere in Africa, the continent with the most genetic diversity. Maybe some sort of Bantoid tribe? I would say Celtic could be a contender also, from red heads to blondes to brunettes.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Once again the confusion between ethnicity and nationality. I mean since when is Puerto Rican, Indonesian or Filipino an ethnicity. What nonsense.

My guess is somewhere in Africa, the continent with the most genetic diversity. Maybe some sort of Bantoid tribe? I would say Celtic could be a contender also, from red heads to blondes to brunettes.
Are Puerto Ricans really not an ethnic group? They have a shared culture and speak the same language. They are different races but the same ethnic groups. Filipinos and Indonesians have many different languages/ethnic groups. But Filipino and Indonesian can be considered “meta-ethnic groups”

And besides, even within some ethnic groups like Tagalogs in the Philippines, you can find morenos, chinitos, mestizos, and negritos. As long as they speak Tagalog as their first language, then Tagalog is their ethnic group

Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paypeeto69 View Post
Sure, Mexicans look like Vikings
That's now what he/ she said but yes, there are some red-headed Mexicans. Not many but they're there.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:26 PM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
Going out on the limb here and saying Indians. Bangalore, Kerala, Gujarat, Bihar would all produce different types of people and this isn't counting Siddi and Anglo-Indians.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Poland has quite a diverse spectrum. You can find olive skin people with dark hair and very pale people with blond hair, it's a mix.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
^^
India, Poland? = we're still going on about nationality?! Poles are mainly Slavs surely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Are Puerto Ricans really not an ethnic group?
Nope they're much like Venezuelans, Cubans even Brazilians made up of a component of various ethnic groups in somewhat the same distribution.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:41 AM

728 posts, read 973,926 times
Quote:
^^
India, Poland? = we're still going on about nationality?! Poles are mainly Slavs surely!

Nope they're much like Venezuelans, Cubans even Brazilians made up of a component of various ethnic groups in somewhat the same distribution.
I see your point. But when we discuss ethnicity what's the line?

In America, Jamaican/Haitian/Dominican are ethnic identities but if we were to be "strict" they are not ethnicities just multi-ethnic identities that formed a new culture and to talk about the ethnicities that make up these identities would be endless.

Nonetheless, I take back India! It is a multi-ethnic state and thus everyone looks different because they are.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
^^

I don't know if Puerto Ricans consist of different ethnic groups besides the few Tainos left. Puerto Ricans are different races, but not different ethnic groups. Do darker Puerto Ricans have a different culture and language from lighter Puerto Ricans? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World