Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Thank you sharing this knowledge. Like someone else mentioned already, Europe and the US are more or less equal in size. As geographical diversity tends to vary with distance, it makes more sense to compare equally sized entities like Europe and the US than to compare individual countries to a large area like the US. The fact that the OP failed to notice this subtlety, does not make it less true.

your moving the goal posts to boost your own argument

the premise of this thread is to analyse which country is most diverse geographically and climatically , you appear to have decided that if small or medium countries cant compete with the usa , then entire continents are allowed join the competition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:32 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Canada is for sure geographically diverse. However, it is not as diverse as it could have been inferred for such a huge country. The same may be said about Russia, Brazil and Australia. Although very large countries, in all of them there is a very prevalent natural environment.

Checking the biggest countries of the world - the ones likely to be the most geographically diverse, we have:

1) Russia -> Huge, "homogeneous"
2) Canada -> Huge, "homogeneous"
3) China -> Huge, extremely diverse
4) USA -> Huge, extremely diverse
5) Brazil -> Huge, "homogeneous"
6) Australia -> Huge, "homogeneous"
7) India -> Very Large, very diverse
8) Argentina -> Very Large, very diverse
9) Kazakhstan -> Very Large, "homogeneous"
10) Algeria -> Very Large, "homogeneous"
11) DP Congo -> Very Large, diverse
12) Saudi Arabia -> Very Large, "homogeneous"
13) Mexico -> Large, very diverse
14) Indonesia -> Large, diverse
15) Sudan -> Large, "homogeneous"
16) Lybia -> Large, "homogeneous"
17) Iran -> Large, "very diverse"
18) Mongolia -> Large, "homogeneous"
19) Peru -> Medium-Large, diverse
20) Chad -> Medium-Large, "homogeneous"

Where I put "homogeneous", I mean "not as diverse as one could expect due to its size".

My ranking of Geographic diversity would be:
1) USA
2) China
3) Argentina
4) India
5) Mexico

it would not have occurred to me that either Indonesia or mexico were very diverse , at least in a climatic sense

I would consider both to be very hot

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM

326 posts, read 471,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
considering it is the size of a continent, i don't think its the most geographically diverse country.. that title goes to Chile. IMHO.. it is basically a string that goes right down the middle of the earth.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
But Europe still is not a country

There were no "European overseas territories;" there were overseas territories that were owned by the Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Belgians, Portugese, etc etc etc. Emphasis on were, i.e. Vietnam, Haiti, South Africa, Indonesia, Brazil, Cuba, Ethiopia, the Philippines, India, etc etc etc are all now self-governing, autonomous sovereign states.

If you want to go continent-to-continent, Asia has jungles, tundra, desert, high desert, plains, steppes, mountains, all sorts of forests, rainforests... so even still, no, it really isn't!
Just to clarify with the second paragraph, what I meant to say was that those countries being territories of European empires didn't make them part of Europe, per se - i.e., Vietnam was still in Asia, Ethiopia was still in Africa, etc.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,914,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
considering it is the size of a continent, i don't think its the most geographically diverse country.. that title goes to Chile. IMHO.. it is basically a string that goes right down the middle of the earth.
Argentina has almost all of Chile's landscapes, and a lot more that it hasn't.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM

2,947 posts, read 2,914,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
it would not have occurred to me that either Indonesia or mexico were very diverse , at least in a climatic sense

I would consider both to be very hot
Mexico has a good variety of microclimates thanks to his high altitude in most of the territory. I place it second in Latinamerica behind Argentina in terms of geographic diversity.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Am I allowed to say yes?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Am I allowed to say yes?
Sure. Would be nice, though, if you could give us some reasons for your opinion. Personally, I think India is just as diverse, but maybe you can convince me that the US is the sole contender for the title of the most geographically diverse country in the world

Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Sure. Would be nice, though, if you could give us some reasons for your opinion. Personally, I think India is just as diverse, but maybe you can convince me that the US is the sole contender for the title of the most geographically diverse country in the world
Because i don't know of any areas in India that are like the Appalachian mountains, Great Lakes area and Alaska.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because i don't know of any areas in India that are like the Appalachian mountains, Great Lakes area and Alaska.
Yes India doesn't have areas that look like the Great Lakes or Alaska ( except the mountains).
I'm not completely sure about the Appalachian mountains.

But does the USA have something that looks like this ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_znh6RVCdYB...v8/s1600/2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_znh6RVCdYB...mA/s1600/8.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World