Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:18 PM

47 posts, read 48,371 times

Advertisements

You may find this useful, the locations of glaciers in china

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386f/pdf/F2_China.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 03:24 PM

47 posts, read 48,371 times
I was going to answer someone post "whom I have a vage idea of who he/she is, but I may be wrong" however He/she seemes to have deleted the post. anyway here is a map of an official agency that could be interesting for those who like climate maps

https://data.gov.au/data/dataset/010...4-6e1e1f72d698
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_232894359

Old 04-05-2021, 10:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I think it really does come down to China and the US. No other countries really have the variation in both climate and geography that these two countries have.

Climate wise it’s interesting - both China and the US have many overlapping climate types but each has some that the other doesn’t have. China doesn’t have a Mediterranean climate or chaparral landscape like you see in the US’ west coast.

The US on the other hand does not have a true subtropical highland climate where you have a wet/humid climate that stays very temperate (like 60s/70s F year round) which China does feature. Often these areas are quite beautiful around the world because they are at a higher altitude in a lower latitude (e.g. Kunming), and get a lot of precipitation so they are very lush and green, while staying extremely mild throughout the year. The US doesn’t have anything like that. There are technically some tiny pockets of subtropical highland climates in the US but they are on the cold side and prone to snow and ice in the winter and a bit hotter in the summer. The extreme PNW of the US has an oceanic climate of which the subtropical highland climate is a subtype but again - it gets much colder there as well.

Last edited by Bluefox; 04-05-2021 at 10:36 PM..

Old 11-10-2021, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,052 times
Argentina is in the top 3 for sure after USA and China. Argentina easily beats Australia just based on the fact alone that it actually has big mountains. Also, unlike Australia Argentina has deciduous forests.

Indeed Argentina doesn't have any tropical beaches because its tropical areas don't have access to the sea. It also doesn't have any mediterranean areas, but neighbouring Chile does. If Chile and Argentina were one united country it would rival USA/China for the #1 spot.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:09 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vici0burgues View Post
Argentina is in the top 3 for sure after USA and China. Argentina easily beats Australia just based on the fact alone that it actually has big mountains. Also, unlike Australia Argentina has deciduous forests.

Indeed Argentina doesn't have any tropical beaches because its tropical areas don't have access to the sea. It also doesn't have any mediterranean areas, but neighbouring Chile does. If Chile and Argentina were one united country it would rival USA/China for the #1 spot.
If Puebloforte sees this post he'll likely lay an egg.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:35 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
If Puebloforte sees this post he'll likely lay an egg.
I saw it this morning, yet to push out an egg. Shame that - could’ve done with an omelette this morning and would’ve been organic free range at that.

I agree Argentina is extremely diverse! The hate/envy is one one way in Colombia’s direction. It isn’t reciprocal.

I would say Argentina is definitely in the top 10 most diverse territories on the planet. Possibly Top 5 with Peru and Colombia also in contention. Argentina’s issue is that it has practically zero tropical biome apart from a slither of heavily deforested Atlantic forest, let alone it’s rather monotone coastal landscape which again reduces it’s diversity ranking.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:49 PM

620 posts, read 312,411 times
Between USA and China for me. USA wins IMO because it has easily publicly accessible nature compared to other places. There are roads that would take you to even remote parts of nature; well-maintained trails that you can hike while admiring the scenery; hotels/ restaurants near these attractions. Basically we have all the necessary infrastructure in place for nature travel.

Quite a few other countries have jaw-dropping natural scenery, but it doesn’t do me any good if I can only enjoy it on discovery channel or via drone footage on YouTube. Most people miss this point during these debates.

Old 11-23-2023, 06:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Default Colombia

At the beginning of this year I climbed one of four of the most epic peaks I've ever had the privilege to climb in the world.
The 4 peaks of the Nevado del Huila in southern Colombia.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:56 AM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Between USA and China for me. USA wins IMO because it has easily publicly accessible nature compared to other places. There are roads that would take you to even remote parts of nature; well-maintained trails that you can hike while admiring the scenery; hotels/ restaurants near these attractions. Basically we have all the necessary infrastructure in place for nature travel.

Quite a few other countries have jaw-dropping natural scenery, but it doesn’t do me any good if I can only enjoy it on discovery channel or via drone footage on YouTube. Most people miss this point during these debates.
Not for much longer...
Take a look at this map:
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...338c6daa9a880a

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/chi...ailway-map.htm

In the US you NEED a car to go to most places. In China there is public transportation net that is expanding rapidly and anyone can travel, not only car owners. And they have high speed railways.
Try to take a train or a bus in the US...
With that concept - they win hands down.
The only part not connected is south west - Tibet and Himalaya.

And here you can read about National Parks in China.
First five National Parks alone (created recently) cover a total area of ∼230 000 km² and protect nearly 30% of the key terrestrial wildlife species found in China. As a comparison, the average area of the 62 US national parks is <3400 km²
As a large country with rich biodiversity, China just established its first five national parks, with a total of about 50-80 planned for the future, and to form a national-park-centric protected-area system.
The speed of establishing national parks is very fast. There is s high determination of the central government with regard to ecological protection.

More here:
https://academic.oup.com/nsr/article...wac150/6653241

The US was developed country for many years already, when China was still a Third World. But they are catching up very, very fast. Give them few more decades and compare again.

In regards to land area, China and the US are very similar with each country having about 3.8 million square miles. Geographically, China features more diverse terrains ranging from rain forest to desert and from plateaus to plains. People living in these regions have varying cultures.

Looking for a real multicultural experience? Head to Chad in north-central Africa where 8.6 million residents belong to more than 100 ethnic groups or to Togo, home to 37 tribal groups that speak one of 39 languages and share little in the way of a common culture or history.

The US is in the middle of the list, even Canada and Russia are more diverse.
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...-in-the-world/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World