Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benetton View Post
It is. Quite obvious since it's the 3rd biggest country in the world, while the other bigger ones have a good bunch of their territory within the Arctic Circle or Permafrost, frozen areas.

The US is the most diverse country in the world, followed probably by China. Probably Australia is the 3rd, since Australia is basically a continent rather than an island.

The winner for diversity/size ratio is probably Chile. That thick coastline Chile is during thousands of miles, makes the country pass across looots of different entourages. They have the driest desert in the world, peaks above 5.000m of altitude, and they own the bottom of South America, with tundra forests and Scottish lookalike areas. They also have a couple of tropical islands, that makes them quite diverse.

China is above India, and Australia comes 3rd in my opinion. India is quite similar to Brazil in size/diversity, these last 2 countries end the Top 5 in my opinion.
Australia is pretty disappointing geographically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 03:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benetton View Post
The winner for diversity/size ratio is probably Chile. That thick coastline Chile is during thousands of miles, makes the country pass across looots of different entourages. They have the driest desert in the world, peaks above 5.000m of altitude, and they own the bottom of South America, with tundra forests and Scottish lookalike areas.
Argentina has all of that and more and Colombia has plenty of Scottish even New Zealand and Icelandic looking areas. Even just a few paces from Bogota it looks like the Scottish Highlands, I've had Kiwis say the landscapes remind them of home and there's a couple of videos to prove that.

Sometimes peoples mental barriers just don't let them see the reality until they actually experience the places first hand and then that's where they enter a phase of realisation.

Also as vast as Australia is, I wouldn't really put it up there.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:16 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Australia is pretty disappointing geographically
Agreed, it does have some nice ones, but no real high moutains to speak of. My personal pick alongside the USA would be China.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:46 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Australia is world class in coast/beaches and even if covering a small area, it has a wide and diverse array of forests (in this point resembles Argentina) with perhaps the most unique shape in the world. But then it pales in almost everything else for its continental size, especially in the orography department.

Relative to size, i think Ecuador, Italy and Greece are unbeaten. Maybe Nepal, too.

Last edited by marlaver; 12-24-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 05:49 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
I wouldn’t put Australia anywhere near the top 10, but I do believe that it’s more diverse than often given credit. Sure, 2/3 of it is desert, but it’s got tropical rainforests in Queensland, mountains in Tasmania and the Great Barrier Reef.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I wouldn’t put Australia anywhere near the top 10, but I do believe that it’s more diverse than often given credit. Sure, 2/3 of it is desert, but it’s got tropical rainforests in Queensland, mountains in Tasmania and the Great Barrier Reef.
Two third desert; no way. There’s actually far more tropical savannah and wetlands across the NT and WA than you’ll find in Qld. And I’d rate Tasmania’s mountain landscapes as no more spectacular than Central Australia or inland Victoria as examples.

But even the desert regions are quite varied. The Painted desert in SA is pretty spectacular, and vastly different than areas further north. Places like Punululu in WA are pretty unique from a global perspective.

The parts of North America I’ve seen were no more diverse in terms of landscape when compared to equivalent sized areas in Aus. Different certainly, but no more diverse.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 12-24-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Another country not mentioned here that is quite diverse for its size is Japan.

It is smaller than California but these two climates are in the same country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahikawa#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishiga...kinawa#Climate

Old 12-27-2018, 04:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
China has the most typical basin in the southwest.

And thus in winter the distribution of temperatures is often like this:

Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Another country not mentioned here that is quite diverse for its size is Japan.

It is smaller than California but these two climates are in the same country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahikawa#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishiga...kinawa#Climate

Japan does indeed have a large range of climates for its size, due to the long length of its chain of islands. I think it lacks the dry, desert-like climates of the American Southwest and some Western states. It also lacks the Mediterranean type climate found in CA.

But yes, it has many varied, beautiful geographical regions for such a small nation.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Incredible place presented to us by Sebastian Yatra...

El Chaltén, Argentina

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World