Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 20,752 times

Advertisements

having lived in thailand for a year there is a very politically incorrect culture when it comes to light skin and dark skin there.
people in wealthy bangkok are light skinned, including lots of rich chinese, and everyone drives benzes and wears pradas.
the country is dark skinned and dirt poor and live in shacks and whole families fit on one scooter.
every tv commercial is about milk creams for lightening skin and both of my not too dark girlfriends would use them religiously.
can't see this as possible in many parts of the world as it would be considered very politically incorrect and racist or prejudiced.
also noticed japanese are super paranoid about the sun and want to stay light and hide from the sun in hawaii while they shop shop shop.
whats wrong with these people?
a little tan is ok and today it says i have money and leisure time not like the old days when the poor farmers in the fields had no choice about tanning and only the rich city folks were light skinned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
It's not just Thailand, but much of Asia, from India to Japan. Fair skin is a sign of beauty in most Asian cultures, I think it originated from a time when the rich didn't have to do a lot of manual work outdoors. You still this all over Asia, the farmers/lower class will be darker than the richer/more professional/middle class.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM

270 posts, read 592,888 times
I know these bleaching products from Indian and other Asian Stores. It's sometimes very aggressive stuff. But I assume it's the same almost everywhere. Not long ago young woman in Tunisia would spend the last months before marriage in a windowless room, fattened by old women. To get light skin and wide hips. They still do that in other parts of Africa.

And in India your chances for a "good" marriage increase, the lighter your skin color is. Nothing new....

Oh...but there are some exceptions. Women in France and Italy "roasting" religiously in the sun to get the color of candied bacon. Just experienced it again some weeks ago in Italy. Terrible.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Throughout human history, the vast majority of cultures have thought comparably pale skin on women is attractive. This doesn't have anything to do with westernization, as it happened well before colonialism. It seems to be because women of any given ethnicity tend to be a bit paler than men, hence the paler a woman is the more "feminine" they seem. The modern west is the aberration, in that over the last century tan skin (among white people) has become the more desirable shade.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
While most East Asians are generally lighter than Southeast asians, their milky skin tones are mostly unnatural.

They use whitening products and avoid over exposure to the sun since they were born.

Especially the women.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
While most East Asians are generally lighter than Southeast asians, their milky skin tones are mostly unnatural.

They use whitening products and avoid over exposure to the sun since they were born.

Especially the women.
Yes go to rural China and see the old and wrinkled old ladies, and they're a rich nutty brown colour. They've obviously been working in the fields all their lives under the hot sun.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endofdays View Post
having lived in thailand for a year there is a very politically incorrect culture when it comes to light skin and dark skin there.
people in wealthy bangkok are light skinned, including lots of rich chinese, and everyone drives benzes and wears pradas.
the country is dark skinned and dirt poor and live in shacks and whole families fit on one scooter.
every tv commercial is about milk creams for lightening skin and both of my not too dark girlfriends would use them religiously.
can't see this as possible in many parts of the world as it would be considered very politically incorrect and racist or prejudiced.
also noticed japanese are super paranoid about the sun and want to stay light and hide from the sun in hawaii while they shop shop shop.
whats wrong with these people?
a little tan is ok and today it says i have money and leisure time not like the old days when the poor farmers in the fields had no choice about tanning and only the rich city folks were light skinned.
A majority of the world runs the same way. There used to be a "brown bag" test in African American/Black culture. If your skin's shade was darker than a paper bag, you were excluded from upper class society. This still remains a part of the culture. I've also noticed the same in my travels to Mexico, South America and parts of Asian. Dark skin is not favored in the travel and tourism industry....unless it's in the lower level positions.

Nigeria has a bit of a skin bleaching epidemic going on as well.

http://www.enca.com/africa-life/nige...ening-products

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Pov

46 posts, read 78,313 times
There is а term about mixing(?) of the races .Mixing achieved by different kind of surgery .There are a certain qualities to every race that some people find atractive and make constant efforts to change their appearance to match them. Long legs,hairless skin,white skin etc. Like a mania.
I watched a film about person who wanted longer legs. But doctors found that his muscles cannot support longer legs and refused to do the surgery.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Well I am white and I want to be tan. I sat out for 3 hours in 32c heat everyday for 20 days in Spain and stayed white. What annoys me is these losers from NI who will have no foreign heritage and go to Spain and sit out for two hours and go pure brown.

At least I don't look like a foreigner.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's not just Thailand, but much of Asia, from India to Japan. Fair skin is a sign of beauty in most Asian cultures, I think it originated from a time when the rich didn't have to do a lot of manual work outdoors. You still this all over Asia, the farmers/lower class will be darker than the richer/more professional/middle class.
Asian people aren't fair skinned though, they have yellowish skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World