Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,325,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not a clean cut decision. I'm probably in the minority.. but I'm 28, halfway through college (i took a long break and recently went back part time)... but have been making 160k+ since I was 20 (I was making 30k for the 2 years prior to 20). Recently I've been struggling to find work because of the economy and the fact that my field (software engineer) is easily outsourced.
That's interesting. Did you get into sales or self-employment at 20? It just seems like a big jump from $30k to $160k. I don't see how one's skills could be that demand in a matter of two years unless they went into sales or owned their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
That's interesting. Did you get into sales or self-employment at 20? It just seems like a big jump from $30k to $160k. I don't see how one's skills could be that demand in a matter of two years unless they went into sales or owned their own business.
I was working for a software consulting firm making 30k. Figured out how to start my own consulting firm and run on my own... stole the client and went on from there.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I was working for a software consulting firm making 30k. Figured out how to start my own consulting firm and run on my own... stole the client and went on from there.
Ah, that clarifies it. Congrats to you!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,328,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Ah, that clarifies it. Congrats to you!
Thanks.
I'm down to about 30k again :-(.... I only have 4 consultants working for me at fairly low margins.... Only time will tell ...

Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm down to about 30k again :-(.... I only have 4 consultants working for me at fairly low margins.... Only time will tell ...
Ah, that's too bad. Keep your head up though. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I believe the IT industry will make a come back in this country. I'd like to get into it myself, but have been leary of it ever since I was a CompSci major in college. I switched to Economics/PolySci, believe it or not haha. I am working and make decent money relative to some of my peers (with a variety of different majors), but I still try to keep the dream alive that one day I'll end up (happily) in the IT field.

Best of luck to you. And if you're ever in need of some programmer types, drop me a line.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,322,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
That's because you edited your post to add those other groups while I was replying to you with the VA data. Wow. You and Huckleberry are sure representing the "Don't go to college group" here.

Listen boys and girls, don't become Huckleberry and annerk, go to college.
Again your arrogance is astounding. I went to college. Paid for it all by myself, too. And the best part, I very likely make as much as you do, once you factor in that I don't have to carry medical malpractice.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,876,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
From a purely anecdotal experience from when I did an internship at UNC's ortho surgery residency program filtering applications for would be residents, EVERYONE was paid the same first year residency salary, and the same second year, etc.

Even after working in the HR department of a large health care institution and even working in a large global organization, foreign workers when they became US employees were paid US wages. There was not a special band of compensation for foreigners-we-hope-to-pay-poorly for a job. It was the job grade with all of the salary zones for the job. Period.
wherein that is true all the interns would make the same
in that hospital but all hospitals do not pay the same and do not hire the same. you are assuming your experience in HR in that one facility is the same nationwide as to pay and hiring practices, not true.
again if you were a doctor you would know that there has been a big influx of foreign workers (25% of workforce) because the wages have not kept up with costs and foreigners can handle the lower pay offers bek they got less school debt.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again your arrogance is astounding. I went to college. Paid for it all by myself, too. And the best part, I very likely make as much as you do, once you factor in that I don't have to carry medical malpractice.
Good for you... then obviously college has done you good, so why are you being so hypocritical about it?

Physician compensation reports are after paying malpractice premiums, BTW.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,322,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Good for you... then obviously college has done you good, so why are you being so hypocritical about it?
I don't believe that college is right for everyone, and I think it's incredibly dangerous to shoehorn people into college because that's what society dictates. I took a few years off after high school, worked, partied, traveled a little, ran off a lot of steam. Even then I didn't really know what I wanted to be when I grew up, so I went to community college p/t whiole still partying like a rock star and completed a lot of those pesky credits in basic liberal arts that you need to graduate before transferring to a university. I have 132 credits and no degree, because I changed my major three times and then was unexpectedly recruited for a job with a six figure income that wouldn't accomodate a college schedule. I never went back, and I've never lost an employment opportunity as a result.

As I said earlier, there are plenty of jobs that don't require college that pay very well. It's unfortunate that you look down on people because they don't have a college degree. Maybe the guy who fixed your Mercedes last week can't take out an appendix, but I'll bet you wouldn't know a kingpin from a clothespin.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,657,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
wherein that is true all the interns would make the same
in that hospital but all hospitals do not pay the same and do not hire the same. you are assuming your experience in HR in that one facility is the same nationwide as to pay and hiring practices, not true.
again if you were a doctor you would know that there has been a big influx of foreign workers (25% of workforce) because the wages have not kept up with costs and foreigners can handle the lower pay offers bek they got less school debt.
Hence, why I said ANECDOTAL.

However, there is a difference between gaining a mountain of student loan debt to study medicine, law, and even in some cases business versus student loan debt to study religious studies. A VAST difference.

Also, from the experience of seeing multiple tens of thousands of salaries from american employees, european employees, asian employees, and visa holders coming into this country-- I can tell you that my employer (a MAJOR financial services employer) does not have a special salary for foreign workers that make it easier/cheaper to hire them here in the states versus an american.

Can't say that every company out there does the same, but it is not exactly easy to get visa workers here in this country no matter what news article you pull up-- this is from practical real world experience.

If you think an american corporation is hiring a programmer for 25k from India to come to the states and do this job, you are sorely mistaken-- they are just sending that job to India-- not bringing that person here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment