Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,659,751 times

Advertisements

So there is 1 job posting at my company that I am thinking about applying for. It's in another state and in a different department. I've seen multiple postings for that department within the last few months which seems like they are growing as opposed to this department. If I apply for this job, then I know that at some point the boss is going to have to know, especially if it's within my company that I am applying for. Should I go for it? I'd hate to not get the job and then have the boss know that I am looking for a job now. He's wanting me to take over someone else's work since he is leaving soon, but if I don't tell him soon that I am looking for a new job, then I may end up being stuck with taking over his work.

Last edited by Caldus; 05-25-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
This feels like a dilemma but in almost all cases it is better to do what is best for you. Most bosses will understand. I'd go for it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,918,416 times
Quote:
He's wanting me to take over someone else's work since he is leaving soon, but if I don't tell him soon that I am looking for a new job, then I may end up being stuck with taking over his work.
Quote:
He's wanting me to take over someone else's work since he is leaving soon, but if I don't tell him soon that I am looking for a new job, then I may end up being stuck with taking over his work.
Sounds like you are making a lot of leaps and assumptions. You are assuming that your boss is considering transferring his workload to you. And you are assuming that that decision would change if he knew of your plans to take another job. And you are assuming that if you apply you would be called for an interview and offered the job.

You are also assuming the company doesn't have confidentiality plans in place regarding internal applicants. Likely that is not true. Most employers are more savvy than that and will not spill the beans to another manager without discussing it with you first. You could probably check with HR about those policies if you are especially worried, or see if there's a colleague who has been through it. Of course when you complete the application be sure to check the box 'no' with regard to contacting the most recent employer.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,659,751 times
True. It would be nice if there were at least 2 or 3 jobs in case the 1st one doesn't work out. I guess I'm going to have to find another company to work for since there is just nothing at all here.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
Are there policies about things like this? At my company, you are required to tell your current boss before you apply for other jobs.

Make sure you aren't violating some sort of policy by applying without saying anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment