Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times

Advertisements

As the question says, how do you handle it. Also, how do you make more of an effort to be part of a team.

Where I work, I have the rap of not wanting to work with others. While deep down, I prefer to work alone, in my job, it is expected to work in groups on projects.

Now, the main problem I have is that most of the projects I am on, no one does their share, or assigned part. I end up completing the Lion's share of work.

The same things happen with our core duties and things. They barely get theirs done, leave early, come in late, take two hour lunches, smoke for an hour, etc, while I am left to deal with things. You would think that I would be rated highly for being a team player, because I am always covering for my team, but, its the exact opposite. I sometimes wonder if it is because I don't really talk to my peers about much other than business.

How do I handle this? How do I get them to think of me more as a team player? How do I get them to contribute more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
For every userer who doesn't pull their weight, there is a martyr who jumps in and does it for them.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
For every userer who doesn't pull their weight, there is a martyr who jumps in and does it for them.
True.

I coped with this by carefully documenting my own work.

I found I had a lot more time when I stopped trying to manage others. That was my bosses job, not mine. I just worried about ME and MY contribution. If my boss couldn't figure it out or chose not to fix the problem, it was no concern of mine.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
You are exactly right. I know a lot of the extra work I take on is my own fault, so, I always kick myself later.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM

299 posts, read 903,392 times
What comes around goes around. They'll get whats coming to them...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
True.

I coped with this by carefully documenting my own work.

I found I had a lot more time when I stopped trying to manage others. That was my bosses job, not mine. I just worried about ME and MY contribution. If my boss couldn't figure it out or chose not to fix the problem, it was no concern of mine.
I do that as well.

My boss knows what I do and appreciates it, but, the culture in our building is very non confrontational and people have been there so long that they feel invincible to getting in trouble or even being talked to.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
I know that to be true....for some reason people seem to be willing to help me out sometimes. A lot of my co workers seem to like me and help me out....go figure. I have just sort of realized this although I usually have a fairly cheery additude so maybe this makes people want to help me out or something

Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
You don't get them to contribute more. That isn't your job.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
- Talk to everyone like they are your really good friends.

- Set an agenda.

- Spell out the details.

- Set deadlines.

- Send out progress reminders by email. ie: "Hey I am seeing how everyone is doing. Remember the work is due on this date. Thank you. Call me if you have any concerns."

- Make sure everyone knows how valuable they and their work are to you.

- Make sure you never belittle any of your peers in public or in private.

- If someone needs to elaborate or make corrections make sure you tell them in a detailed manner. "If you could elaborate more on this it would clear up any loose ends. Then we will be finished and ready to turn it in. Thank you."

- Do not try to punish any of your team mates by having them ostracized. I guarantee you, that it will backfire in your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
As the question says, how do you handle it. Also, how do you make more of an effort to be part of a team.

Where I work, I have the rap of not wanting to work with others. While deep down, I prefer to work alone, in my job, it is expected to work in groups on projects.

Now, the main problem I have is that most of the projects I am on, no one does their share, or assigned part. I end up completing the Lion's share of work.

The same things happen with our core duties and things. They barely get theirs done, leave early, come in late, take two hour lunches, smoke for an hour, etc, while I am left to deal with things. You would think that I would be rated highly for being a team player, because I am always covering for my team, but, its the exact opposite. I sometimes wonder if it is because I don't really talk to my peers about much other than business.

How do I handle this? How do I get them to think of me more as a team player? How do I get them to contribute more?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I don't think it's as cut and dry as the one who does all the work is "the amazing one" and the others are just "evil fools that should be fired."

We don't know if the OP expresses value to her team-mates. Did she set an agenda? Is she approachable? If she was a perfectionist-control-freak about the project then it is possible her team mates are being passive-aggressive in response. Or her team-mates are busy doing other tasks and projects. Or her team-mates are going through medical, psychological, or family problems.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment