Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:32 PM

305 posts, read 1,005,345 times

Advertisements

I have been interviewing with a company for a little over two weeks and just a few days they stated they wanted to make me an offer, however, they have came back to me asking about benefits and salary. I dont want to give an exact amount however I did give a ballpark. So they came back and ask if my walk away amount was a certain amount and I simply stated I want to be in a stable environment and that I would have to know what the amount is before I make my decision. I am more interested in an stable environment and the recruiter has stated he believes it maybe somewhere around this amount maybe 1000 less, however the company seems to taking a long time to come up with an offer. Is this normal or what I really hate to walk away from it but when do I not get my hope up, I requested midway of what they advertised the position for so I wonder if that is part of the issue but I feel like it shouldnt be. My hubby is saying not to call them becuase you dont want them to come back and low ball you --- what is your take please please please advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,624 times
If you have already given a ballpark, and they are still talking to you, then your ballpark is within their range. And, 2 weeks is not a long time in a process.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

ok how long normally is the process, I was thinking if the company advertise a certain range and I was within that range what is the normal time to give you the offer they are thinking about. I am being told they dont want to run me off, but they dont want to go too high either. Seems to me if I am looking for the salary range as advertise that I would be in the ball park. We have talked about benefits but we did not mention bonus or vacation time and such so I dont know exactly what the stalling is about.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
ok how long normally is the process, I was thinking if the company advertise a certain range and I was within that range what is the normal time to give you the offer they are thinking about. I am being told they dont want to run me off, but they dont want to go too high either. Seems to me if I am looking for the salary range as advertise that I would be in the ball park. We have talked about benefits but we did not mention bonus or vacation time and such so I dont know exactly what the stalling is about.
They typically have to go through several steps before the final offer can be made. A few months ago, I interviewed for a position. It took nearly four weeks before they could get an offer together for me. They told me that there were a few things they had to get approved by HR before the final offer could be made. I'd be patient, but also keep looking if you need to. It sounds like they're interested to be talking to you for this long. Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
They typically have to go through several steps before the final offer can be made. A few months ago, I interviewed for a position. It took nearly four weeks before they could get an offer together for me. They told me that there were a few things they had to get approved by HR before the final offer could be made. I'd be patient, but also keep looking if you need to. It sounds like they're interested to be talking to you for this long. Best of luck!
yes, that is what I was looking for, I have decided to continue sending out my resume and going through the interview process, and I may have something short term temporary until then. This is a very small company and they really dont have a HR person that I meet with so I figured with them contacting me and telling me this I figure the process would be fairly quick. But I guest not, I am sought of disappointed in that retrospect, they also seem to be leading me on in that at first I was getting several calls from them throughout the day telling me they would have it together by today now I am getting nothing so I feel a little jittled in that aspect but I will simply keep looking

Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,186 times
Quote:
yes, that is what I was looking for, I have decided to continue sending out my resume and going through the interview process, and I may have something short term temporary until then. This is a very small company and they really dont have a HR person that I meet with so I figured with them contacting me and telling me this I figure the process would be fairly quick. But I guest not, I am sought of disappointed in that retrospect, they also seem to be leading me on in that at first I was getting several calls from them throughout the day telling me they would have it together by today now I am getting nothing so I feel a little jittled in that aspect but I will simply keep looking
If it's a small company and they do not have someone specifically in HR, it probably means the person interviewing you has another full-time job to do on top of putting together an offer for you. It's nearing summer, so it could be getting close to their busy season. If you don't hear back from them in a week or so, give them a call back and politely inquire about the interview process.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks so much for the advice I got the offer today, so now I will be giving my new employer notice. Which has been a long time coming, this guy has no ethics whatsoever he is struggling and was forcing management hand to take advantage of so many people. He was advertising jobs having people leave there current full time job to come and work for the company just to clean up or bring a project up to date. We had a girl working 13 hours per day and on the weekends while he would only pay her for 40 hours, once she got the work caught up he fired her before she could file for cobra so now the poor thing has no job, or benefits. When he had me interview people for this position at first I was warning others behind close doors and I think he found out about it somehow because he then started to sit in on the interviews to supervise not a good situation at all if you know what I mean. I have two weeks and I am out of there.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 48,657 times
Default Just continue

Quote:
I have been interviewing with a company for a little over two weeks and just a few days they stated they wanted to make me an offer, however, they have came back to me asking about benefits and salary. I dont want to give an exact amount however I did give a ballpark. So they came back and ask if my walk away amount was a certain amount and I simply stated I want to be in a stable environment and that I would have to know what the amount is before I make my decision. I am more interested in an stable environment and the recruiter has stated he believes it maybe somewhere around this amount maybe 1000 less, however the company seems to taking a long time to come up with an offer. Is this normal or what I really hate to walk away from it but when do I not get my hope up, I requested midway of what they advertised the position for so I wonder if that is part of the issue but I feel like it shouldnt be. My hubby is saying not to call them becuase you dont want them to come back and low ball you --- what is your take please please please advise

The other members are right you can either directly call them or wait for another week or two but the most important thing you should do is to continue looking for a job until you can get a formal offer, an offer that will be beneficial to you and the company. Best of luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM

All that worring and I got the job thanks everybody for the advice, cant wait to begin working I did give my employer 3 weeks notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment