Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that when certain coworkers approach me at my desk, they almost always look at my computer screen. Why?

I was checking my bank account a minute ago and this guy obviously saw it was my personal banking account. He just stared at the screen over my shoulder. He wanted absolutely nothing but he came over to my desk and started talking to me while watching me balance my account. He came across my desk and just started watching. I just closed the tab.

I've noticed another will come and literally gawk at the screen, too.

Isn't this rude? Should I say something to them about this? It's not against the rules to do some personal things on our computers. It's a slow work day today and I'm all caught up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:29 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
It's stupid.

Of you.

To be checking your personal bank account, on a work computer, on company property, on work time. Even if work is slow, it is still stupid. Do something else with your time if you have no other work to do and the company allows it. And if someone is coming to your desk to talk, that's work, and that comes first. Which means you put away your personal activities and do the work.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM

You must be having a bad day.

Um, he wasn't talking about work. He was just talking about a bunch of nothing.

What do you propose I do? Pretend to do work?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Not to mention not safe to use a bank login on a public computer.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM

55 posts, read 499,147 times
I agree with kodaka ... and I'm not having a bad day.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Okay, put it this way.

Even if I am doing work related things on my computer, is it NOT rude for someone to stand over your shoulder and read? Especially when what you are doing has nothing to do with them?

Better now?

Btw, I have no problem checking my bank account at work. It's totally allowed and the last thing I'm worried about here is a breach of my info.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
You're "Sensitude"

There.

Does that help.

Maybe they were looking down your shirt.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Regardless of what you are looking at, it is rude for a co-worker to look over your shoulder to see what you are doing. It's none of their business.

They don't know if you are looking at your bank account or typing up a reprimmand on a subordinate. To simply walk up and peer at your computer screen without your okay is bad form. They are being nosy.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Yes, I'd say it is rude regardless of the circumstances for a co-worker to walk up and read whatever you have open on your computer. It is none of their business.

As for personal activities, I will pass no judgement. Where I work, it is ok to use the office computers for limited personal uses so long as it doesn't cause an infringement on getting your work done, and it is appropriate use. (Although, I personally cannot see typing in a bank password and login into my work computer... too many eyes around both over my shoulder and in the IT office).

Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Yes, I'd say it is rude regardless of the circumstances for a co-worker to walk up and read whatever you have open on your computer. It is none of their business.

As for personal activities, I will pass no judgement. Where I work, it is ok to use the office computers for limited personal uses so long as it doesn't cause an infringement on getting your work done, and it is appropriate use. (Although, I personally cannot see typing in a bank password and login into my work computer... too many eyes around both over my shoulder and in the IT office).
Me too, and I agree with this. Where I work, everyone has a work laptop which is even more personal than a desktop, and everyone here does all their private businesses in these laptops, no biggie.

It's very rude of the co-worker to stare at the OP's computer. I have such co-workers as well, which is why I decided to put a glare screen on my monitor.
PS: OP, no, you don't need to say anything to such people. Get a glare screen if you can, that should teach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment