Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM

750 posts, read 1,450,822 times

Advertisements

Is 200 a week going to cover rent car payment or any other bills most people have. It takes years to move at Sears. Most do not have that much time. What about the 50 year old guy with a few kids? BTW that 200 a week is before taxes. My attitude is fine we need real jobs. Not part time temp with no benefits it is not going to cut it. We have 15.7m out of work. The overall number who need a real a living wage benefits ect is around 30m. Did you even read my post? Are you for real it is not 1950 anymore. The US has a high cost of living low wage jobs do not help. I know people working at Walmart who have been there for years. They get food stamps they make so little money. But they are working right. Sears is in retail most of the jobs are low wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,325,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Is 200 a week going to cover rent car payment or any other bills most people have. It takes years to move at Sears. Most do not have that much time. What about the 50 year old guy with a few kids? BTW that 200 a week is before taxes. My attitude is fine we need real jobs. Not part time temp with no benefits it is not going to cut it. We have 15.7m out of work. The overall number who need a real a living wage benefits ect is around 30m. Did you even read my post? Are you for real it is not 1950 anymore. The US has a high cost of living low wage jobs do not help. I know people working at Walmart who have been there for years. They get food stamps they make so little money. But they are working right. Sears is in retail most of the jobs are low wage.

It means you get that 200 a week job and another one

Old 04-24-2010, 12:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Reality check. You might *need* a high paying job, but it might not happen for you--ever again in your lifetime. Cut your losses, cut your expenses, and take what you can get while still looking for something else. It's better to be out in the workforce where you can network than sitting at home doing nothing. Networking is where it's at. I just gave my card to a guy who was getting his haircut in the salon I was getting mine cut in because I overheard him say things were really slow where he works and he's not sure how much longer he'll have a job. His skill set might translate into a job opening where I work. You never know where you will meet the person who will be able to help you find employment. I was offered a job at a social event the other night. (I"m not even looking!)

BTW--LoveBoating, for the record the guy I gave my card to is in his early 60's, so regardless of what you seem to think, there ARE companies out there willing to hire older workers.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM

138 posts, read 166,070 times
Exactly annerk. If a low paying job won't cut it for you, then get a second job. Or mow lawns. There are many things that can be done to get by. I hear people complaining that these jobs pay too little, yet these same folks are content to collect less on unemployment while bashing the government and working public. It really bothers me when I see what the government is creating. WAY too much self-entitlement attitude out there. I spent too many years in the military watching soldiers support their families on next to nothing to feel bad for these folks when they complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment