Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I'm looking to make a major change in my career. Currently underemployed as a secretary with a bachelors in Business Administration, I'd like to make the jump to a career that can be stimulating and profitable (looking to make in the mid/upper 40's or better to start in NY).

Going on the assumption that health care can't be as easily outsourced, I've been looking into that industry. I've looked into Ultrasound Technician and Physical Therapist Assistant as potential careers, but have been stopped by the fact that both require f/t schooling during the day to become certified. Since I don't have two years of living expenses saved up, I can't quit my day job to go back to school to better my career options and increase my earning potential.

There's got to be someone else in the same boat, perhaps that has found a solution they would like to share.
Other healthcare field jobs you may be interested in:

Respiratory Therapist
Xray Technician

Masters degree programs (although with your BS being in business, you may have to take some prerequisites):

Speech Pathologist
Occupational Therapist

If you got into any of the above careers, you could probably find a good job anywhere in the country.

As for your dilemma (many classes being offered only in the day), I don't know how you can solve that one, except by moving near a school that offers what you want PT in the evenings or as the other poster mentioned, online classes for at least part of your schooling. Avoid the U of Phoenix type places and concentrate on "real brick and mortar" schools that offer a lot of online classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,165,287 times
Quote:
I'm looking to make a major change in my career. Currently underemployed as a secretary with a bachelors in Business Administration, I'd like to make the jump to a career that can be stimulating and profitable (looking to make in the mid/upper 40's or better to start in NY).

Going on the assumption that health care can't be as easily outsourced, I've been looking into that industry. I've looked into Ultrasound Technician and Physical Therapist Assistant as potential careers, but have been stopped by the fact that both require f/t schooling during the day to become certified. Since I don't have two years of living expenses saved up, I can't quit my day job to go back to school to better my career options and increase my earning potential.

There's got to be someone else in the same boat, perhaps that has found a solution they would like to share.
As someone who is in, essentially the same boat as you, I applaud your efforts to make something of yourself. I do not have any advice just wish you the best.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,404,558 times
Thanks all!

SierraSage - Going p/t is not an option, my budget is cut back as much as possible already and I barely make it each month. The housing market is bad right now and taxes are insane. I can't sell and have enough to live somewhere smaller and go p/t either - I've thought of that. I've either got to find an evening program for a job I can be happy with AND make a good salary OR I need to find something in the evening f/t that would work with school hours and make at least as much as I do now - which hasn't happened yet, but I'm still looking.

MontanaMom - I know sometimes change feels like its going to take forever to happen, but stick with it and sooner than you know it'll be done and on with your new life. During my divorce, it seemed like it was never going to finalize, but it did and it was worth the wait.

I_Love_LI_But - I'll look into these other options. You wouldn't happen to know if any had night classes here on LI?

20yrsinBranson. Thanks. I wish you luck making your changes too!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM

640 posts, read 1,988,585 times
lialleycat,

Have you looked at Empire State College? They are a fully accredited college and part of the SUNY (State University of New York) system. It's a brick and mortar school in upstate NY , but they do something different than any other university I've seen. They have a Center for Distance Learning (CDL), where all courses are taken online (but they all don't have to be). But what makes them special is that they let you design your own degree program (with certain parameters to ensure you fulfill required courses).

And you go to college online, and sometimes you can take classes at local colleges if you want. So, basically, if you find a degree program that is offered in colleges that are not near you, you can design your own program, get it approved, and be on your way with Empire. You can be as wild as you want or conservative, or anything in between. They allow you to take courses at local institutions if Empire doesn't offer the courses you want to take.
Also, they will take life experience towards credits. For example, if you were a volunteer program manager for a organization, Empire would look at what you did and determine if it is worth any credits.

They don't allow all degrees to be designed, of course. For example, they have an outline for an Accounting program, but they don't offer the required courses to sit for a CPA exam.

I'm currently going for a B.S. in Business, Management, and Economics. That's one of their traditional programs. But---I got to choose a lot of the courses I took. For example, I will be taking a course in Personal Investing, and also a course in Non-profit Management. I know someone there who will be getting B.S. in Forensic Accounting.

Oh, I almost forgot: my sister-in-law got her B.A. in Social Work (or whatever the traditional program name is) from Empire, AND SHE LIVES IN RIVERHEAD! I'm from L.I. as well, but now in PA. You are assigned a mentor to help you throughout your entire program. My sister-in-law had to go to Riverhead once a week or so to meet with her mentor. Pretty convenient, since that's the town she lives in. I don't meet with my mentor (who happens to live in NC).

Anyway, they are fully accredited and part of the SUNY system, which is a plus. You should check them out. Maybe you'll need to change your career focus from healthcare, and maybe Empire can help you design a masters program to fit what you decide to do.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I_Love_LI_But - I'll look into these other options. You wouldn't happen to know if any had night classes here on LI?
No, sorry.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
lialleycat,

Have you looked at Empire State College? They are a fully accredited college and part of the SUNY (State University of New York) system. It's a brick and mortar school in upstate NY , but they do something different than any other university I've seen. They have a Center for Distance Learning (CDL), where all courses are taken online (but they all don't have to be). But what makes them special is that they let you design your own degree program (with certain parameters to ensure you fulfill required courses).

And you go to college online, and sometimes you can take classes at local colleges if you want. So, basically, if you find a degree program that is offered in colleges that are not near you, you can design your own program, get it approved, and be on your way with Empire. You can be as wild as you want or conservative, or anything in between. They allow you to take courses at local institutions if Empire doesn't offer the courses you want to take.
Also, they will take life experience towards credits. For example, if you were a volunteer program manager for a organization, Empire would look at what you did and determine if it is worth any credits.

They don't allow all degrees to be designed, of course. For example, they have an outline for an Accounting program, but they don't offer the required courses to sit for a CPA exam.

I'm currently going for a B.S. in Business, Management, and Economics. That's one of their traditional programs. But---I got to choose a lot of the courses I took. For example, I will be taking a course in Personal Investing, and also a course in Non-profit Management. I know someone there who will be getting B.S. in Forensic Accounting.

Oh, I almost forgot: my sister-in-law got her B.A. in Social Work (or whatever the traditional program name is) from Empire, AND SHE LIVES IN RIVERHEAD! I'm from L.I. as well, but now in PA. You are assigned a mentor to help you throughout your entire program. My sister-in-law had to go to Riverhead once a week or so to meet with her mentor. Pretty convenient, since that's the town she lives in. I don't meet with my mentor (who happens to live in NC).

Anyway, they are fully accredited and part of the SUNY system, which is a plus. You should check them out. Maybe you'll need to change your career focus from healthcare, and maybe Empire can help you design a masters program to fit what you decide to do.

Good luck.
Jane,

Thanks! Now that I read this I do remember hearing something about this college way back - I'll have to look into this. Thanks again.

BTW, what part of PA? I'd love to move PA in the near future. As you know, taxes on LI are way out of hand and there's less and less open space and more and more strip malls every year. I'd like to be close to LI - within about a 4 hour drive, and really love the Lancaster area - it reminds me of what the east end used to be like.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM

640 posts, read 1,988,585 times
Quote:
Jane,

Thanks! Now that I read this I do remember hearing something about this college way back - I'll have to look into this. Thanks again.

BTW, what part of PA? I'd love to move PA in the near future. As you know, taxes on LI are way out of hand and there's less and less open space and more and more strip malls every year. I'd like to be close to LI - within about a 4 hour drive, and really love the Lancaster area - it reminds me of what the east end used to be like.
I hope you'll find your way with Empire. They hold informational meetings where you can go and talk with reps about their programs.

I'm currently living just outside of NE Philly in a little town called Elkins Park. Once you leave the city borders, it's sort of like Long Island--eastern L.I., where there are lots of fields and space (like Aquebogue on the north fork).
It's a stark, quick change from rowhouses to large homes on big lots. And as I travel NE towards the PA turnpike and go beyond that, it becomes even more rural, but still there are lots of areas for shopping.

My mother and step-father have a permanent camper in Lancaster that they visit regularly. They love it there. It is much more rural than where I live. I don't know anything about job opportunities out that way, but it is quite pretty. It's quite pretty here, too, but more built up, like Smithtown, until you travel north, pass the turnpike, then it gets more spacious.

Good luck with your college search!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,746 times
Quote:

I don't have a magic answer but one thing I can suggest doing is to get as many of the pre-requisite science classes (and other subjects you may need) done in the mean time. Usually you can find a community college that has them at night or weekends, or you can find some online (Rio Salado College is a popular choice for distance basic science classes).

For a junior/community college program this might not matter too much since often times you need those completed just to apply. If you are looking at a private program (make sure its accredited by the professional body that accredits programs for that particular career field), a lot of times, they do those classes as part of the first block. Sometimes (not always) they will let you transfer them in - which can save you time. The private schools can be faster but more expensive. Sometimes the time savings is worth it to get into the field faster if simply being in school and unable to work a full-time job is costing you a lot.

Are you supporting only yourself?

If so, you might want to think about loans and financial aid and just making the plunge. If you get something like a CNA cert, you can maybe get a job in a hospital or doing home health while in school, and perhaps network to give you a leg up when graduation comes and your whole class is looking for a job.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I don't have a magic answer but one thing I can suggest doing is to get as many of the pre-requisite science classes (and other subjects you may need) done in the mean time. Usually you can find a community college that has them at night or weekends, or you can find some online (Rio Salado College is a popular choice for distance basic science classes).

For a junior/community college program this might not matter too much since often times you need those completed just to apply. If you are looking at a private program (make sure its accredited by the professional body that accredits programs for that particular career field), a lot of times, they do those classes as part of the first block. Sometimes (not always) they will let you transfer them in - which can save you time. The private schools can be faster but more expensive. Sometimes the time savings is worth it to get into the field faster if simply being in school and unable to work a full-time job is costing you a lot.

Are you supporting only yourself?

If so, you might want to think about loans and financial aid and just making the plunge. If you get something like a CNA cert, you can maybe get a job in a hospital or doing home health while in school, and perhaps network to give you a leg up when graduation comes and your whole class is looking for a job.
That's a good idea in terms of the time flexibility (she could work nights, weekends, etc., and go to school FT day), but the money may be severely lacking. I am assuming the OP makes at the bare minimum $20.00 an hour now.

Home health aides are on a lesser level and did not pass the test that CNAs have to take. They get around $9.50 an hour on LI, as per the frequent help wanted ads. Some of the agencies will train someone to get in on the ground floor.

Hospital CNAs do a little (not significantly) better, but it is sometimes hard to get in. Hospitals actually sometimes pay tuition for employees looking to better themselves within their system. I know a few on LI that pay for employees to get their RNs.

I also think the CNA schools, while short trade school courses of less than 1 year, generally offer FT day classes, but there might be a few that offer nights.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM

I can't make less than I do now and I do make more than 9.50 an hour. I am supporting only myself, but I'm barely getting by and anything less would leave me without food or shelter. As it is now, I'm driving an 11 year old car and watch every penny I make to get as close as possible to making ends meet.

I'm looking into the Empire College right now. Though it doesn't have health care careers, there are some other interesting options that I'm exploring.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I've got a few leads now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment