Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM

573 posts, read 2,066,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is no reason to quit a job without having another
that is just your belief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,665,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When you quit you don't get unemployment, THE END
I didnt see anything in his statement that said he was asking said question.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM

6,204 posts, read 7,504,166 times
The best reason to quit a job, is if you do not want to work there anymore.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,745,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The best reason to quit a job, is if you do not want to work there anymore.
That is what I consider the perfect reason. I am sort of hating it when people claim they work at there jobs in the face of death and anything else. They claim that they never have called in sick for 24 years and work for two weeks without so much as a drink of water....oh please. I am a very cheery and happy employee, but, I still have basic human needs like feeling wanted, using the bathroom and having drinks of water...ok on second thought I am a huge drama queen

Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,986,001 times
I would like to amend my previous statement to add, if I won the lottery or somehow otherwise became independently wealthy and no longer needed income from a job, I would probably also quit before lining up another job.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,642,209 times
Well, I've quit several jobs because I was moving out of the area, and I quit one to go back to school full-time. I've had plenty of jobs I didn't like but I could at least stomach, but there were two jobs where I literally lost sleep knowing that as soon as my alarm went off I'd have to get up and go to that job. I quit both of them without another job lined up because it was actually less stressful to be unemployed and looking for a job than it was to go to those jobs.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM

15 posts, read 22,640 times
Divorce - no home and bank account switched to her account. I really had no other option. I've got an appartment that's dirt cheap and looking for work, but things arn't that bad now.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM

600 posts, read 1,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I have five reasons:

1) You're in a dead-end, high-turnover job, that eventually drains you physically +/o mentally due to the anxiety
2) Other workers are leaving due to worsening conditions, and you're already overwhelmed
3) Your job keeps you from getting a better job:
a) Lack of transferable skills for anything other than the same/similar job
b) Employers label you because your current job is completely unrelated to the job you apply for; even if your previous jobs were held longer and are more related to the applied job
4) Staying there will make it harder to leave, keeping you labeled, as previous skills lose significance
5) You work toward a different career, and the job interferes with your goals:
a) You find yourself doing too much between the job and your goals, and you have to make a "fork in the road" decision.
b) You concluded the job won't help but hinder you in reaching your goals

You just described the job I'm in the process of quitting .
Plus I'm moving.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,187,897 times
Unless I read the question wrong, I think Hypnosis is asking for advice as to what to use as an excuse for quitting his (or her) old job on his applications for the next job. He doesn't want to put the real reason because he recognizes that it was a pretty lame reason. But he needs to explain why he left in a way that will satisfy the new employer and not preclude him being hired for fear he will just up and quit again.

I really don't have any suggestions. I guess it would depend on what the previous job was. I mean, you could use something like "creative differences" if you quit a professional level job, but that probably wouldn't fly if you quit a job flipping burgers.

If you are now looking for a job in a totally different field, you could possibly explain it that way. Say you wanted to change careers and left in order to have time to develop your skills in the new field.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM

2,649 posts, read 4,091,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
You just described the job I'm in the process of quitting .
Plus I'm moving.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment