Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

i worked 2 years in a non for profit agency and moved from program area to program area and finally was over being jockeyed around. i gave my 2 wks and the next day was told it was my last day. they didnt let me say good bye to anyone, brought me my stuff, and walked me to my car. i was a loyal employee and it was a small agency what did they have to lose? i don't understand why they handled it that way, all i wanted to do was finish my 2 wks and go out quietly. Do you think it was all about reputation or about them being afraid of me bringing other people with me? or do companies just do this because they don't want anyone around who doesnt want to be there? should i take it personal or is this common practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,573,762 times
Dont take it personally. Some companies will let you work for the two weeks, some will pay you for the two weeks but will let you go almost as soon as you give notice and others will fire you or let you go immediately.

Companies are often concerned about a short-termer sabotaging the computer system or stealing private data. It's a valid concern. Other companies may be concerned that a short-termer will try to poison everyone's attitude or morale. That's also a valid concern.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM

25,146 posts, read 54,098,108 times
lol those are some paranoid professionals firewheel. Are you in Texas?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,728,228 times
Some companies don't want a leaving employee to sow the seeds of discontent.

Bob: Bill, I hear you are leaving, where are you going?
Bill: I got a new job at XYZ Industries. Huge pay jump, better benefits, flex time.
Bob: Supervisor Sally really screwed me on my last performance review, I only got a 1.5% raise. They looking for more employees at XYZ?
Bill: I don't know, maybe! And if you say I referred you, I get a $2000 bonus!

That is more common than you'd think. Don't take offense to it. Some companies are like that. However, that probably means you will never work there again.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,573,762 times
artsy, they're not really so paranoid. I've seen computer-sabotage and data-stealing happen several times in my career.

And, just for grins, here's a story about a disgruntled former Texas auto dealership employee who used the internet to disable 100 cars. He wasnt fired for giving notice...he was just fired... but it's a remarkable story nonetheless:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=7335974 (broken link)

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,256,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
artsy, they're not really so paranoid. I've seen computer-sabotage and data-stealing happen several times in my career.

And, just for grins, here's a story about a disgruntled former Texas auto dealership employee who used the internet to disable 100 cars. He wasnt fired for giving notice...he was just fired... but it's a remarkable story nonetheless:
Man accused of disabling 100 cars at Austin auto dealership over Internet - 3/18/10 - Houston News - abc13.com (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=7335974 - broken link)
For what its worth, one of the reasons my company restricts data so that salespeople can't see sales figures for anything but their own sales route is because the company has been burned by employees stealing intellectual property and selling it to competitors....

Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,322,001 times
I wouldn't take it personal. I was in a situation that was somewhat similar to yours. I, along with several others, was laid off from a company that's heavily tied into the auto industry. The next day, they called us back. I spoke with a manager a couple days later to find out how stable the position was. I basically told him that I needed to know that my position was secure. Probably not the best thing to do after being laid off, but I was only 16 or 17. Anyways, the next day I was let go permanently.

It sucks, but it happens. Them letting me go ended up being beneficial for me. I ended up working for their sister company as an accounting clerk/web designer making at least $1/hr more (which was a big deal to me at the time).

Anyways, best of luck to you. I truly hope this ends up being beneficial to you in the long run.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM

535 posts, read 1,876,958 times
That happened to me, although I was asked to leave the same day. I would file for unemployment just to make them do some paperwork. Did you give your notice on paper? If not that really helps your cause. Either way you might as well try and get some money out of it.

It really irritates me when you try to be professional about leaving a job and they throw you out.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,736,659 times
That's happened to more people than I can remember.

When I was a manager at a certain big box home improvement store, it was basically the norm. ANYONE who gave their two weeks was basically fired within 2 days of doing so, it might as well have been a company policy.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,322,001 times
I'm wondering if it makes more sense to make up some excuse as to why you can't give them two weeks notice (i.e. they want me to start next week, i have to move in a few days, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment