Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 11,096 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I'm puzzled and was wondering of anyone could help. My partner is an American citizen and has completed a Masters in Governmental administration overseeing child welfare policies in Philadelphia. I'm a UK citizen we are looking into working visas for my partner to work in the UK whilst I'm completing a Masters program for two years. Does anyone have any information into work sponsorships in the UK or how to go about gaining a work visa in the UK for US citizens. We've both been through both US and UK embassy websites but due to the shear amount of legal documentations on there...where do we start!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Best wishes

Darren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM

228 posts, read 667,526 times
The UK moved to a points based system- a masters will help, but if your partner is under the age of 32 or has made a good chunk of money in the last year, that would be even better. Unfortunately the UK doesnt provide family-ties sponsorship like other countries in Europe.

What you want is to see if your partner will qualify as a Tier 1 General Migrant (used to be the HSMP program) based on points issued for work experience, age, income, and english language ability. A work sponsor is not required if one qualifies under Tier 1, however any other Tier a sponsorship is necessary.

UK Border Agency has info here: Points Based System Tier 1, General Migrant (INF 21)

Points calculator: UK Border Agency | Points-based calculator

BE AWARE however- about education. I tried to get points on the old HSMP program with a US masters and a US bachelors- in two different areas (as one tends to do here in the US). It was judged to be incomparable to a UK masters and I was denied full points for a masters degree (never mind the arguement that went on where I provided documentation that no, not every masters program in the UK requires that you have completed an undergrad in the same subject) NARIC are the folks who would assess the education.

It looks like theyve sped up processing since the beginning of this scheme way back in 2004 or so- which is good. Be aware as well, however, that its not a cheap endeavor.

Short of scoring a Tier 1 visa, there isnt much else out there. Getting a sponsorship is easier said than done, unless you are in finance or maybe law and have a bunch of connections. The UK is locked down pretty tight, which sucks for sure!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,096 times
Thanks so much for the information. It is a difficult situation, I myself am about to start a Masters in Occupational Therapy starting in September which is a transferable qualification into the US which may solve our problem as there is a national shortage of OTs in the UK and US in which once you pass the NBCOT US exam you are issued with a licence and more importantly a green card. I think we should still look into the tier 1 visa but the masters is a 2 year program of which could be problematic if my partner can't get the visa. I'm just not sure if I should now defer my Masters.
Thanks again for your information Sondra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment