Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,505,477 times

Advertisements

I've noticed where I live finding a notary is pretty hard, other than in a bank or county office. Thought maybe I'd get my notary and do that as a side line. My mother had done this in Florida for her attorney's office. Never knew more than that.

So I looked it up and in my state (TN) you can only charge $1 per notarized document. That's it. $1.

So, why would anyone want to get their notary? I mean, if it's part of your job obviously I see that, but are there other reasons it would be benefitial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM

5,678 posts, read 6,290,927 times
In most places I have worked people get their notary licenses for convenience or job reasons. Companies that need to have documents notarized frequently will always have a few on staff. I suppose it might be a plus when applying for certain positions (executive assistant, paralegal, etc.) but only marginally. It isn't difficult to get so many companies simply ask a few of their employees to get their licenses and pay whatever small fee may be involved. I got a notary license when I was up in Massachusetts after having several late-closing transactions almost not close that day because all the notaries had already gone home for the day.

As you are probably aware the rules vary greatly from state to state. Here in Florida there are people who offer notary services as a side line so I expect here they can charge more than $1, although I don't know the details of that here in Florida.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,986,001 times
Most don't really 'go into the business'. They have other business that has frequent need for notarization, so they become a notary for the convenience. It's not really a profit-making business.

Most notaries also operate their service in the spare time around everything else in their lives. Their availability is different every day, and as a consequence customers can never rely on their service.

By contrast, a notary in my neighborhood set up a 'coffee shop night' business--he posted fliers in dry cleaners, dog park bulletin boards, etc., that he would be at such-and-such coffee shop every Wednesday evenings 6-9PM. He notarized whatever people brought to him for $1. On his worst night, he would get his coffee paid for. But usually he made quite a bit more. In time, he added a sunday-afternoon shift.

Most notaries by contrast operate their service in the spare time around everything else in their lives. Their availability is different every day, and as a consequence customers can never rely on their service.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM

5,244 posts, read 16,505,477 times
Thanks. yeh, I kinda figured out really quick that it wouldn't net me more than beans. However since we don't seem to have any in town it could be something to do. If I ever get the chance to leave the job I've got now I may offer to do notary service on the side for some local companies. Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment