Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 16,629 times

Advertisements

I havent been at this job that long, only 6 months. I recently got my master's degree, and this isnt exactly that field. Although overall the job isnt bad, I really don't like the location. It's super rural. This is not where I want to be, but I feel guilty leaving a job when so many have a hard time finding one. The job is a good experience, and I wonder if it would be bad to throw it away, but this area just depresses me. I have little to no contact with other people outside of work. I'm young and single and want to get back to a vibrant community.

I hate the idea of quitting before having another job lined up, but as other people have noted, it's hard to find a job when you're not in the area. I've had two phone interviews that I think would have done much better in person or if I were happier with where I am. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to get a job in DC without living there. I feel like it puts me at an automatic disadvantage, and then I"ll be stuck forever!

I can move back to the area I want to be in and live at home for a little, do some volunteer work and job search, and waitress to pay the bills. I'm just worried about quitting this job, and if it's the right thing to do. I think if it were in a different location I'd be fine. It's just too lonely! Any thoughts?

Last edited by cztop; 03-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: changed titles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
As a resident of DC, I can tell you, it is hard to get a job even when you are here. Unemployment in this area is one of the highest in the nation, and unlike other areas, the trend is upward, not downward. Too many people are hearing about stimulus jobs and flocking here thinking one will fall in their lap. All they are really doing is making it harder to find work for everyone. More people are coming every day, with no more jobs available than yesterday.

That said....if you quit your job, you create an opening for some unemployed person to fill. So if you really want to quite and make a new start somewhere, do it. Just make sure you have enough to live off of. WIth the cost of living in the dc area, you will need thousands saved up, unless you beat the averages and get a job in less than six months.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 AM

Thank you for your reply! Financially I'll be okay for a little. Obviously not great, but I do have a waitress gig that will cover what I need. I guess I"m more worried about the implications quitting this job will have on my career, especially due to the highly competitive nature in DC. I think compared to other places DC still has a relatively low unemployment rate, but the competition is fierce. Which is why I worry about applying from far away.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
If the current job is career-related, why not get some more solid time in? Am I being old-fashioned fuddy-duddy security-minded (for once?!)

Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM

135 posts, read 387,167 times
You did not say what you have your degree in, sometimes you don't have to go to DC sometimes you can get the same job in a different area, may not pay as much but there is areas you can live that is alot easier to find a similar job just have to be flexible with where you move, there has been people who ended up where they have never considered but they turn out to be very happy with the choice, so be flexible and find a job that will give you the experience you need than later you can move on to a DC job after you have the experience and be better armed to take the job.
Good Luck

Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM

I want to be in DC. I took a job somewhere else to get experience and then move back. I'm finding it hard to get back though. I dont want to be where I am. I think I've decided to quit. It's not worth being miserable. I just have to figure out when.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:38 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
You can send in your resume with a DC address of a friend and then just pay for interviewing expenses yourself if you can afford it. Or if you wish to be more honest you can make it clear in the cover letter that you'll pay for all relocation & interview travel expenses (again assuming you can afford this.)

Otherwise, companies are reluctant to interview people from far away since there are so many local candidates. I've heard of it happening though, if you have some special skill that's in demand. Like certain computer skills.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 745,023 times
As Ghengis said you can do it that way, use a DC address and go for interviews if youre schedule allows. I am replying to this because I have also thought about ditching and relocating for similar reasons and others as well. However, we have a child and not enough savings to relocate to the other coast of my state safely. If I had maybe 10 months of saving we would probably go for it, but otherwise with a child and a non impressive resume (we are both going back to school for advanced degrees to deal with the economy) I dont think we should try it. There are too many people like us with no special skills or career trying to pay the bills. However if you have some savings and dont have any kids, I would probably go for it. I think you need to slow your brain down and really look deep inside and evaluate your gut reaction - are you being too impulsive, immature, short sighted, or is this a balanced and rational decision? Best of luck to you!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Changeyourthoughts, thanks for asking the question about "being too impulsive, immature, short sighted." That's been my fear the entire time! I don't know how many people I've consulted about wanting to leave just to validate that I'm not being impulsive and that my reasoning has some substance.

The thing is I HAVE a DC address, but that doesnt change my resume from showing that I currently work in a different state.

I dont have kids, and have a place to stay (yay parents) and I think I'm young enough to take the risk. Life sometimes comes down to taking risks.

I've realized this decision comes down to patience and being bold. It's the battle between being patient for a job in dc or just being bold and taking action at the source.

I think I'm going to wait until we go into a lull at work. Once I start twiddling my thumbs, I"m out. It'd be a different story if they paid me enough to cover my bills, but as is they don't. I'm there purely for the experience.

I think if I had other people my decision affected, like a kid or a spouse, the story would be different, but as is the only people affected will be those I go back to.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
OP, you have alot of pluses on your side (i.e., can stay with parents, a DC address, etc.). No use staying somewhere that you dislike. It's only going to get worse and you already know what you want. Why not start looking now? Something might come along but if not, you are gaining experience at your current job. Also, since you're familiar with DC then you already know that there are various types of temporary jobs (i.e., 1-yr appointments, fellowships, internships, etc.). Something like that could bring you back into the DC area and you could look for something permanent then. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment