Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,972,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
But why is cash on hand to you so important instead of investing the money or putting it in the bank? Are you afraid of a run on the banks and the FDIC failing?

You were smarter than me. I got sucked into Perot's "run the country like a successful corporation" line.
I don't wear tin foil hats but over the course of the last 62 years I have learned to trust government to always do the wrong thing.

Coming Soon: Substituting Government Annuities for Your 401(k)

Quote:
Back around the last Election Day, far-left Congressmen George Miller and Jim McDermott floated the idea of ending the 401(k) tax break in favor of “redirecting those tax breaks to a new system of guaranteed retirement accounts to which all workers would be obliged to contribute.”
Is it true? Your guess is as good as mine but as social security crumbles they are going to have to do something to prop it up. Social Security will always be here.... imagine the political fallout telling 30 million senior voters they are going to have to learn to live in cardboard boxes and eat cat food. No party wants to do that. They can't do that.

I don't have a lot but I want something held back. Ideally I would like enough to live comfortably for one year. Yeah, I might be losing money on the interest but it does allow me to sleep better at night so it's worth it.

I have thought about buying gold and in retrospect I should have but I bought gold in 1980 and I didn't do so good.

When the Euro was skyrocketing a few years ago I thought about purchasing Euro paper notes. The Euro comes in 500 Euro notes and I thought about picking one up at the bank whenever traveling though Atlanta. Talked to another friend in Great Britain, he's a trader at a bank specializing in oil futures and holds an advanced business degree from Cambridge. and he was emphatic telling me not to do it. So I didn't, I was lucky.

He also told me four years ago about an impending collapse of the real estate market in Europe.

On a side note he attended Cambridge the same time Prince William, the royal crotch fruit of the Prince of Wales and Princess Diana, and he told me Prince William is "dumber than a box of rocks". His words not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,971,858 times
If and only if:

You are provided with a job when your benefits run out and

Mortgage holders have to allow you to stay in your home

should benefits be limited to six months.

I read a tongue-in-cheek proposal to offer everyone over 50 a million dollars to

stop working or looking for a job. That almost makes more sense than what the politicians are

trying lately.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,318,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I still see the arrogance even today among some CD people especially the clowns living in California and northeast. Hard to put my finger on it but they had a stereotypical view of mill jobs with the idea in their heads people worked at these places for $2 an hour.
Man, you nailed it here. Why do so many Californians and Northeasterners comes across as snobby elitists?

Whenever I hear an arrogant post on this forum, my initial thought is that this person is from California or New York. And whadya know, 9 chances out of 10, they are. These smug b@st@rds need a taste of reality. They're too busy living in their past to understand the present.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4
... I have been collecting $100 bills ...
Collecting $100 bills is good to a point.

I suggest that when you get enough, take about 15 of them for
a nice, shiney 1-oz gold coin and some pre-1965 US silver coins.

Then put it into a safe deposit box. But even if you can't get your head
around that plan, if it got in a house fire, it would still be worth the same.
Gold is money. Those $100 bills ( currency ) are becoming less valuable
every single day - and will do so forever.

20 cents in silver dimes buys a gallon of gasoline just like it did in 1964 or so.

Last edited by mortimer; 05-24-2010 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment