Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,654 times

Advertisements

More outstanding coverage from the NYT:

After Escaping Jobless Rolls, Trauma May Linger

After Escaping Jobless Rolls, Trauma May Linger - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Yeah, happens every recession. We haven't had this deep a recession since the early 80 so an entire generation, or two, have grown up without any first hand memory of layoffs or dislocations of this scale.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Yep;I rememebr the 70's recessio that was very much like this as unemployemnt goes. The one thing that has really changed tho is mnay will exit this recession with much more debt or credit problem related to debt.Many already had unstainable debt before this recession occured.Tehre is also the fact that we will exit it with massive national debt.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Really? This is news?

Only people who are completely clueless or completely self-absorbed would think that the effects of unemployment would magically disappear the minute a job offer is received.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Really? This is news?

Only people who are completely clueless or completely self-absorbed would think that the effects of unemployment would magically disappear the minute a job offer is received.
I would describe it more as a "feature story" than "news."

As regards "cluelessness" and "self-absorbtion," they seem to be rampant traits based on some of the posts that appear here from some of the unemployed posters who recount their painful encounters with employed relatives, friends, aquaintances, and interviewers.

Speaking as someone who has experienced long-term unemployment, I applaud the NYT for continuing to run stories like this instead of sweeping the human side of this depression under the rug with more MSM "happy talk."

Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

As regards "cluelessness" and "self-absorbtion," they seem to be rampant traits based on some of the posts that appear here from some of the unemployed posters who recount their painful encounters with employed relatives, friends, aquaintances, and interviewers.

Speaking as someone who has experienced long-term unemployment, I applaud the NYT for continuing to run stories like this instead of sweeping the human side of this depression under the rug with more MSM "happy talk."
Agreed. People who have never experienced it don't realize its long-term affects.

I've been working for nearly 4 months now and I"m still struggling financially and am currently living paycheck-to-paycheck having to pull out of my savings to buy groceries which is something I never had to do before. My main issue now is that I am an hourly worker with no paid time off and the holidays really hurt me. I had to spend savings to buy Xmas presents and I missed 4 paid days with Xmas Eve, Xmas, New Years and one snow day. My paychecks are coming in inconsistent and my part-time job cut hours in half. Every dollar I saved over the lat 4 months had to be spent on all sorts of things that came up (car work, vet bills, birthdays etc.) And everytime I had a job interview, I have to take time off, again, losing pay. And now we're 2 feet under snow prompting yet another snow day on Monday. Basically the expenses have increased but the income is still decreasing.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

Thank you Dreaming Spires! It's amazing that some continue to sweep 15+ million under the rug. We are lazy, not really trying hard, etc. etc. I assure you that never have I worked so hard at anything. That includes both college degrees and the first house I remodeled. What do I have to show for 18 months? A few interviews. This is not for lack of trying. Again, thanks friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment