Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,555 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

Recently I applied for a position open with the DCAA for an auditing position. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who works for them who could tell me a little about it. On USA jobs it shows open positions for almost any location in the US. Are there actually positions open or do they just accept applications year round and I may never hear back from them?

I graduated this May 2009 (BBA Accounting) and I've only been able to get a part-time job working in the tax dept of a company in NYC. I've also had an internship which was focused mainly on auditing. My GPA is a 3.75 (*** laude). If these positions are actually open is it possible for me to be interviewed/hired with those credentials?

Also how is working for the DCAA? I want to get my masters while I work, do they encourage you to do this and if they do, do they help pay for it at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
202 out of 216 ranked gov't agencies best to work for. Defense Contract Audit Agency (DOD) > Best Places to Work - Partnership for Public Service Read some of the message board postings on Federal Soup, doesn't sound like the friendliest to place to work for, although they do seem to offer good training and development to the employees, so they might pay for your masters in accounting.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Hey, I'm curious, since I've been looking into contracting jobs as well. Do you have to get your security clearance?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:29 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
Any gov't job you have to work with sensitive information you will need to get a security clearance. So you undoubtedly would have to get one, which could take as long as a year.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Post your question on FederalSoup.com. You'll get lots of answers.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,698 times
Greetings All, I am trying to figure out how the process works with DCAA. I have submitted resumes and relevant information for several vacancy notices but nothing seems to happen. Do you know if there is some way to zero in on the geographic areas that are actually hiring? With 15+ pages of vacancy announcements and places scattered all over the country, I wonder if it is just a shot in the dark or if they are even really hiring for those notices.

I have been a CPA for about 20 years, taught CPA review courses, and also taught a variety of accounting courses, graduate and undergraduate in the 90s. At this point, I am pretty flexible about where I am willing to locate though my principal favorite areas are southern states. How can you go about finding out where the jobs are and focus the process? Thanks for insight/advice. Bob

Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Bob:

There are a whole catalog of Federal Procurement Standards and Federal Audit Regulations that are the meat of the "Defense Contracts Audit Agency". My guess is that they won't hire a senior person that does not have experience audit the kinds of contracts the DoD enters into. It is a pretty specialized world, and CPA classes are not directly applicable.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,698 times
Default Senior applicants

Thanks Chet, I think you are probably right in respect of DCAA not wanting high time accountants coming into the system. Usually, numbers are just numbers on paper. When it comes to age and experience, those numbers take on a new caricature.

Well, I'll keep a positive take on the process, play location roulette and see if someone, somewhere wants to bring on a cold blooded auditor.

Sometimes I think about just being an IRS bounty hunter. Then I look at the daily news, shake my head and say, WTF, good luck.

Regards,
Bob

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,939 times
I see DCAA has audit jobs listed on USAjobs constantly. As with any job openning it's beneficial to know someone on the inside. Can anyone recommend a way to meet people from the local office to introduce myself, discuss positions, etc? Not a job fair but a someone I will be working for/with who might pull for me. See if everything is a fit first and then go through the formal process? I ran into an auditor last year who acted as if what I was asking was inappropriate.

Some years ago I did this with IRS and basically got the job before my paperwork was approved. Unfortunatley, a hiring freeze went into affect as soon as the local office got my paperwork allowing them to formally interview me - a hiring freeze went into place. If I had simply sent in the application without the human contact I would not have gotten as far as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment