Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 PM

342 posts, read 591,079 times

Advertisements

My first job was a housekeeper at a hotel (that was hard work).
what was your first job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
small burger chain called Ward's Burgers. One was being built and I applied before it was open. Got the job. Business was good until management started pinching pennies and cutting corners with the food. They added water to the chili, they ordered cheaper and lower quality meat, and they jumped on our case if they thought we added what they thought was too much fixings for the burger. The last straw was when they made employees pay full price for their meal and began charging us for the cup and straw if we decided to drink water instead. Took about a year before the burger smell would finally get out of my car.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:19 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
My first job was a housekeeper at a hotel (that was hard work).
what was your first job?
Well, when I was about 10 or 11, I picked walnuts in California for $5 a sack. My first job was attending two year olds at a nursery school, but that only lasted one day. I enlisted in the army very shortly afterward, so I guess that was my first "real job".

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-26-2009, 05:02 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I worked as a gopher for a small electrical company. After that, as a night cashier at a gas station.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
First real job 1977, building computer printed circuit cards, soldering, wirewrapping, cable building. I earned $3.30/hour; minimum wage at the time was $2.65. These were both summer jobs while in high school. This was for Teradyne in Chatsworth, CA.

I worked with mostly middle aged housewives (they loved a spunky 16 year old guy hanging around). One thing I distinctly remember was the day Elvis died. Elvis was their guy. I remember one woman bending down and whispering the news to another woman. Soon one lady was crying. Another thing, all of these women were addicted to soap operas and they all owned these special radios that allowed them to listen to TV shows - so every day they all were each with their own radio tuned in to a soap opera.

Back then, people could smoke cigarettes at their desks. Imagine that.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I still have a Sony Walkman AM/FM/VHF radio with cassette player. With it, I could do my walking while listening to the local tv news. If available, it could get TV channels 2-13. Can't use it for TV anymore. I had it for during hurricanes. Loose power, could still listen to the local TV broadcast for road closures, utility service updates, ice pick-up locations, etc. If those women were here working today,...they'd be watching their soaps online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
First real job 1977, building computer printed circuit cards, soldering, wirewrapping, cable building. I earned $3.30/hour; minimum wage at the time was $2.65. These were both summer jobs while in high school. This was for Teradyne in Chatsworth, CA.

I worked with mostly middle aged housewives (they loved a spunky 16 year old guy hanging around). One thing I distinctly remember was the day Elvis died. Elvis was their guy. I remember one woman bending down and whispering the news to another woman. Soon one lady was crying. Another thing, all of these women were addicted to soap operas and they all owned these special radios that allowed them to listen to TV shows - so every day they all were each with their own radio tuned in to a soap opera.

Back then, people could smoke cigarettes at their desks. Imagine that.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 AM

302 posts, read 885,747 times
I was a camp counselor at a water sports camp during the summers I was 16, 17, and 18.

By day, I ran after kids while getting a really good tan.

By night, I partied with co-workers.

And after 3 years of it, I got skin cancer and lost my innocence. Partying with college kids while you are still in high school and perverted bosses will do that to ya. Luckily, the cancer was removed without needing anything additional treatments.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM

342 posts, read 591,079 times
Andreams,
Iam glad to here that you are alright.
Happy New Years.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Hard to pinpoint exactly what was my first job.

Do I count mowing lawns in the late 50's before I was a teenager? General pay was a quarter but the good neighbors would pay me fifty cents.

We lived in Santa Clara and in 1961 and while it may will be hard for some younger bay area readers to comprehend most of the area shown on this map was was orchards and bean fields. In the summer I would peddle my bike towards the airport to pick string beans for two cents a pound. I would work eight hours and pick 200 to 250 pounds of beans for $4 to $5 for the day. Might not sound like a lot now but factoring for inflation what cost $5.00 in 1961 would cost $35.61 in 2008.

For a 12 year old boy that was pretty good money.

My first hourly job was working the concession stand at the Moonlite drive in that was located behind the moonlite shopping center at the corner of El Camino and Bowers Avenue. Yep, tis true... there was a large drive in theatre there at one time. I think I got $0.85 an hour which was good pay.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM

292 posts, read 891,869 times
If you don't count mowing lawns or helping the carnie's run games when they were in town for fairs and festivals. My first hourly job was washing dishes at a country club when I was 13/14 which was the late 80's so the place was breaking child labor laws by even having me work. Much less work until 12am or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment