Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM

48 posts, read 92,098 times

Advertisements

So I am currently employed at a flower shop in fairfax. But am in a position were I cannot move up, make a carreer, I do not have health benifits, my hours are not exactly what I would want, and I work Tuesday through Sat. I do like my job it is a nice job but I work alone most of the time and others that work around me dont speak english. I get paid decent. I am thankful to have a job with good pay in this recession but I am aslo looking for more secretary experience and more benifits in my job so I can have experience for the future.

I went on an interview at a Vet Hospital for the receptionist position and just found out that I recieved the job. The hours are more spread out and I think I would like them better, the pay is $1 more, after 60 days I will recieve health benifits and after a year I recieve a weeks paid vacation time. And the job is also 15 min away from my house as aposed to the 40 min I drive now.This job would give me good secretary experience that I need for the future but the hours a less then my job now. I work 40 hours a week now and there I would work 30 to 36 a week. Because the pay is higher it helps but I would still be making about $30 or more less then I make now.

Should I take the minor pay cut for the experience and benifits of the new job or just stick where I am simply bc I am making more??

Thanks for your help
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,315,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dms0309 View Post
So I am currently employed at a flower shop in fairfax. But am in a position were I cannot move up, make a carreer, I do not have health benifits, my hours are not exactly what I would want, and I work Tuesday through Sat. I do like my job it is a nice job but I work alone most of the time and others that work around me dont speak english. I get paid decent. I am thankful to have a job with good pay in this recession but I am aslo looking for more secretary experience and more benifits in my job so I can have experience for the future.

I went on an interview at a Vet Hospital for the receptionist position and just found out that I recieved the job. The hours are more spread out and I think I would like them better, the pay is $1 more, after 60 days I will recieve health benifits and after a year I recieve a weeks paid vacation time. And the job is also 15 min away from my house as aposed to the 40 min I drive now.This job would give me good secretary experience that I need for the future but the hours a less then my job now. I work 40 hours a week now and there I would work 30 to 36 a week. Because the pay is higher it helps but I would still be making about $30 or more less then I make now.

Should I take the minor pay cut for the experience and benifits of the new job or just stick where I am simply bc I am making more??

Thanks for your help
Diane
Congratulations on the offer, Diane. You said you'd be making $30 less. Is that per week? Take into consideration how much you'd be saving in gas. Maybe that'll make up the difference. For the experience, I would certainly take it. Plus, you'll be working in the health care industry, which from what I hear, is a pretty secure industry. From the information you provided, I'd say take it. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks. And it would only be $30 Every check so every two weeks. It is closer so i would spend less on gas. which looking at it will probably even it out. I think just the though of loosing money off my pay checks makes me nervous but looking at were I will save money makes it even out...

Thanks for the advice

Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
This is a serious question - if you didn't have internet access what would you do?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,172,073 times
When you say Vet Hosptial do you mean VA as in federal government?

I thought their benefits were like most federal jobs and you get insurance after 30 days? Also, you should earn 4 hours of vacation/leave every pay day.

This seems like a decent career move if you really want to work in reception. But if this is at a VA hospital I would take the job. I can explain more later after you answer the question.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,222,117 times
You aren't really making $30 less...in cash you are but the addition of health benefits is huge. What would your health care coverage be at the new job? I have to believe that alone is worth more than $60/mo.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,495,521 times
I do that job that you talk about. You should take it no matter what, it is a good job!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Well if I didnt have internet access then I would take the job. I think I just wanted some opinions on if the pay cut would matter. I dont want to be unfair to my husband because times are tough these days and I want to help provide income and not take income away. But when you think about it it does all average out with gas and medical benifits. I am so excited for the job I just wanted to know if that was the best/right decition due to the hard times. But looking at it more and more I think it is a great change to make Thanks guys

Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
I would definitely take the job. That's a stepping stone to a career. A floral shop is a stepping stone to no-where.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,927,678 times
Administrative jobs definitely open up more advancement opportunities--if not within that company, at least elsewhere. Benefits easily equate to 25%-50% of a person's take-home pay so I wouldn't consider $30 less per week an issue at all.

If you are worried about living off of that reduced income, since you would only be working 30 hrs per week, is there a chance you could pick up a part time job to supplement the income? Maybe the flower shop would let you work a weekend or evening shift?

I would definitely take the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment