Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,894,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Relocation has been mentioned several times, I would love to relocate to a job rich environment and would be more than willing to, but it takes money I don't have. And as another poster stated she can't due to the other 1/2's job. I'd even join the military but I doubt they'd be interested in a 59 year old bag

I'm also a member of the allnurses forum and skygirl I wish you the best of luck with school, it's not easy and lets hope the job situation will turn around soon.
You make a very good point about the relocation (cost, significant other), I guess I am thinking about my own personal situation and relocation after school is most likely a given. What? They aren't accepting 59 year olds anymore... Seriously though, I am hoping that when I finish school in two years that I can find a job relatively quickly. I currently work at a hospital (Psych dept) and I agree that there should be a better process for weeding out those that are just in it for a paycheck. I love being with my patients and helping the nurses and STNA's anyway that I can. Good luck to both of us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:43 AM

314 posts, read 938,817 times
I know personally know a few new RN graduates who do not have jobs and they graduated from some of the best BSN programs in the Bay Area. My hospital has suspended its new grad program for the year. Some hospitals are having hiring freezes. There are way to many nursing programs in the bay area. Schools are even having a hard time placing students for their clincals. Nursing is not immune to this bad economy unfortuanately.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,407,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I'm still wondering where clinical experience doesn't mean 'real' experience. I see nursing students every day doing exactly the same things the RNs do, albeit supervised.
Student clinicals are no where near what it's like to have your own assignments, making judgement calls and time managment skills. When a nurse goes to work they have a larger patient assignment, other duties related to patient care that are not done during school, also the whole thing of juggling everything that needs to be done along with making evaluations on a hundred things. As another poster stated her hospital has suspended their new grad program as most hospitals have and if you'll go read the link to the allnurses forum you will see that new grads are having a bad time getting jobs because of no experience. The reason they can't get jobs - most facilities realize that orientation for a new grad is much more time consuming vs a nurse with a few years under there belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
And yes, I'd rather have a nurse that's fresh out of college treating me than some washed up old nurse that long since stopped caring for patients and only came back for the money. You asked.
As I said before then go for it, I'd much prefer experience.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,292,246 times
Quote:
Relocation has been mentioned several times, I would love to relocate to a job rich environment and would be more than willing to, but it takes money I don't have. And as another poster stated she can't due to the other 1/2's job. I'd even join the military but I doubt they'd be interested in a 59 year old bag

I'm also a member of the allnurses forum and skygirl I wish you the best of luck with school, it's not easy and lets hope the job situation will turn around soon.
Have you considered finding work as either a live-in nanny or health aide to a senior citizen in Forida? You could take whatever classes you need to take to get your LPN back in the evenings. Relocation would be the cost of packing your car and driving, as you'd have a place to live provided. There are a LOT of people around here who have live-in nannies and health aides, and would love to hire a US citizen with a valid license and nursing skills. In my neighborhood, at least two families have a live-in nanny, and I know they pay fairly well--around $400 a week plus room and board (private bedroom and bath) plus a car to drive. Might be something to look at.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 AM

As I've mentioned before Annerk, I have a home and a mortgage, at this point I'm not willing to loose that for a low paying position nor do I want to live in FL for several reasons including health issues there are other job rich environments that I would move to other than FL. Besides I am already licensed in the state of OH. Also, none of those positions you mentioned come with health insurance and at my age I can't get HI unless I'm employed by a company with benefits.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
As I've mentioned before Annerk, I have a home and a mortgage, at this point I'm not willing to loose that for a low paying position nor do I want to live in FL for several reasons including health issues there are other job rich environments that I would move to other than FL. Besides I am already licensed in the state of OH. Also, none of those positions you mentioned come with health insurance and at my age I can't get HI unless I'm employed by a company with benefits.
And do you have health insurance now? My point is that sometimes you need to take stepping stones to find employment. Think outside of the box. (And for the record, one of my neighbors does offer her nanny health insurance. She's a doctor and has the nanny listed as an employee of her medical practice. Perfectly legal.)

Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Annerk, I do think outside the box every day, and I'm not moving to FL ever, heat and humidity exacerbate some of my health issues and could render me unable to work. Also, I would never work as a nanny as I do not particularly like children. If the day comes that my place sells, I will relocate but to a more appropriate job rich environment other than FL. Until that time I will continue to look for work here.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Annerk, I do think outside the box every day, and I'm not moving to FL ever, heat and humidity exacerbate some of my health issues and could render me unable to work. Also, I would never work as a nanny as I do not particularly like children. If the day comes that my place sells, I will relocate but to a more appropriate job rich environment other than FL. Until that time I will continue to look for work here.
So substitute another state for Florida, and like I said, you could also work as a live-in caregiver to an elderly person.

Of course you don't want to hear it, because you like so many others are fixated on having it your way, and your way only. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment