Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:48 AM

153 posts, read 239,166 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, kind of a long rant here...
I worked as a legal assistant for nine years at a small, three-attorney firm. I was salaried, making $24,000.00 a year, which is good money for this area, and I really earned it. The workload and stress are unbelievable. I had paid holidays, including the Courthouse holidays such as Columbus, Veterans Days, etc., and three weeks of vacation per year. I had no sick days, but used my vacation time if I needed to. Then at my last review, they told me the firm was losing money. They cut my pay to hourly, and cut my hours to 33 per week. They also took away my paid holidays because, as they state, I am now "part time" and not entitled to them. They also took away most of my vacation and gave me one week paid vacation per year. I need to save this time in case I get sick, or schedule sickness around the stupid courthouse holidays, which I don't get paid for, because the firm is closed (Columbus and Veterans Days, etc.) Anyway, my husband had already lost his job prior to this, and was able to find something part time, but even so, those hours were cut. We were living off my income, and being frugal but still making it, but now we are sunk. I'm only making about $18,000.00 per year now, with the courthouse holidays (there are a lot of them) that I have to take off unpaid. In addition, when the attorneys are away on golf outings, vacation, etc., (they seem to be able to afford THOSE), they sometimes want me to take off, also unpaid. Yet, I am expected to get all my work done in the time frame of my reduced hours.
I did have a weekend job, for cash under the table on the farm and in the office of a local tractor dealer, but he was VERY sexually inappropriate and I got mad and quit. I have been unable to find anything else. The seasonal part time jobs that are open in retail want you to be "flexible", and with my job at the firm, I cannot.
End of rant. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by stoogemania; 11-13-2009 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 AM

6,506 posts, read 9,906,519 times
It sounds like your bosses are just screwing you over. I would be looking for a new job. I would also only do the work you could during the time you are there and not worry about it.

They get what they pay for. If they pay you part time you do part time work. They pay you full time salary they get full time effort from you.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:04 AM

6,907 posts, read 22,629,887 times
I'm sorry the economy is hitting your family hard right now. As far as your job goes, you should only be doing what can reasonably be done in the time you are paid; nothing more, nothing less. Anything that doesn't get done doesn't get done. Your employer has shown a disloyalty to you and now it's your turn to return the favor. If that means lots of work isn't getting done you will need to explain to them that your hours don't allow enough time to get the work done. Start looking for another job NOW; schedule interviews (if you are lucky to get any) for your off time. It may take awhile to find something but at least you will be trying to improve your situation.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,573,333 times
A legal assistant making $18,000 a year? Wowza. I live in a pretty low cost area and a general secretary for the city makes in the $30's to $40's.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM

15,149 posts, read 32,509,108 times
If you're hours were cut, you should be able to apply for unemployment.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,972,117 times
Agree with what others said. Don't give them free work, because it was their decision that your contribution wasn't that important.

As for all the rest of the pay and benefits matters, it really sucks but that is pretty much the way it works for everyone. It isn't lawyers or your town or area. 32 hrs/week is considered full time. I believe that standard is set by the federal government. And no employer is required to pay for sick time or even vacation time and many don't pay for holidays. That's just our free market economy.

I actually have a few friends that have voluntarily cut down to 32 hrs/week--they were pretty certain their jobs would be cut entirely so they went to their employer and volunteered to take a pay cut, in exchange for a written guarantee of that reduced salary for at least the next 12 months. Less pay is better than no pay. I do recognize though that when you are already earning a pittance, taking a cut of that seems unbearable.

As someone else mentioned, look into state or local assistance. I don't know that you would qualify for unemployment benefits. Usually if you are earning more than 50% of your previous income, you don't qualify. But there may be assistance in the form of subsidies for housing (the state pays a percentage and you pay the rest, based on what you can afford) or food stamps.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 PM

27,479 posts, read 27,503,095 times
Everyone seems to have been cut to part time everywhere, it seems. Especially in retail. Full-timers with f/t bennies have been cut back, the already part-times are taking a bigger cut in hours, it really sucks. But we cant quit, till something else comes along, whether a better job that offers more, or a 2nd pt time job, to pick up the slack.
I was, and could do okay if I was still making that 30k year salary I once was making, but these days it seems like (doing the numbers here) Im making half of that...in Calif, of all places.
Wouldnt matter where ya live, for the most part the wages usually match the cost of living. Az was relatively cheaper to live than Calif...but then, necessary yearly salaries differ tremendoulsy in both states too.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 AM

153 posts, read 239,166 times
Thanks for your input, everyone. I have to be honest in defense of my employers, our clients are not paying their bills. We used to require a retainer fee paid up front, but now the attorneys are grudgingly willing to take half down, with regular payments. Those payments just aren't coming in. 75 percent of the time, the clients just ignore it. However, it DOES stick in my craw when the partners go on monthly Bar Association Golf Outings at the Country Club and pay for the golf, cocktails and steak barbecue out of the firm account. And I end up wondering if my meager pay check is going to clear.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,972,117 times
stooge,

Bar Association dues and those golf outings and business dinners are a tax deduction, reducing the firm's total expenses. If they spent the money instead paying you for a few more hours of work each week, that expense wouldn't be tax deductible and they would have less cash to spend on anything, including your pay.

On top of that, many association events are paid for in their annual dues, or at least significantly reduced. Not being a member really isn't an option, so they might as well get their money's worth. The networking is valuable too. Another client might throw a client their way, they might be discussing bringing on a new partner who's got a healthy client base, they might learn tricks to make their business model more profitable....all while chatting on the ninth hole.

I know it can look bad though, especially when you're just trying to survive.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,166,239 times
I'd be looking to change jobs and there's a good way for you to do this right now. You have the right skills.

Make up some cockamamie story about needing letters of reference for something. Anything. Maybe a graduate school or some such nonsense. Get the letters now!

Start making a list of all the law firms in your area making money hand over fist on foreclosures and bankruptcy. Investigate those firms to the best of your ability. Talk to people who work there if you can. Pick the best and apply.

If you want to really sneaky and help people at the same time, volunteer your services at the local legal aid office. You'll see real fast who can still afford to do pro bono work. What firms are doing well and are hiring. It will expose you to a lot of other people in your field. And it looks good on the resume.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment