Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 PM

311 posts, read 695,282 times

Advertisements

I tried to get into a pork prossesing plant in sioux falls SD.My mistake was that I was honest on my application.The hr lady said I was not eligable for hire because of my spotty employment and a big gap of unemployment.Everyone I have talked to that works there said you need to lie on your app to get the job, apperently everyone in this town knows thas exept me.They go through so many workers hr dose not have the time to verifiy your employment record.They also make you do the pre employemt tax credit survey at the job service.They say it will not affect the hiring decision witch is BS becuse its done BEFORE an interview,and I was not a tax credit for them.Well anyway if you want a job at john morrales in sioux falls, LIE LIE LIE, you will be rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,314,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I tried to get into a pork prossesing plant in sioux falls SD.My mistake was that I was honest on my application.The hr lady said I was not eligable for hire because of my spotty employment and a big gap of unemployment.Everyone I have talked to that works there said you need to lie on your app to get the job, apperently everyone in this town knows thas exept me.They go through so many workers hr dose not have the time to verifiy your employment record.They also make you do the pre employemt tax credit survey at the job service.They say it will not affect the hiring decision witch is BS becuse its done BEFORE an interview,and I was not a tax credit for them.Well anyway if you want a job at john morrales in sioux falls, LIE LIE LIE, you will be rewarded.
I suspect that your competition communicates more effectively than you. When the economy was good did you have steady employment? Any unemployment in the last 12 months is to be expected. Beyond that you really need to have legitimate reasons for a less than stellar history.

If an employer has a tremendous turn over rate, especially in this economy then there are management issues and poor working conditions. You would soon be out the door than just as many before you.

Practice interviewing with job services and/or professionals you know. Do some internet research on job searching tips. You need to have good presentation skills to justify any weaknesses on your application.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 PM

555 posts, read 1,576,889 times
I wouldn't do that. It could come and bite you in the rear later on down the road.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 AM

311 posts, read 695,282 times
I've been told by hr people that I interview very well.I have never had a problem finding work untill last year.The pork plant will hire the scum of then earth if they lie on their apps.They hire alot of parolies and tons of illeagals and people from africa.They want a tax credit or a fabricated work record thats the two groups of people they hire.But I will be alright I have a job that gives me 35 hours a week.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,251,965 times
I know I've missed out on promotions to other's BS resumes. I put only the facts on my resume, and I know I've paid a price in "advancement". It's not an accident that the worst people tend to climb the ladder of corporate power. I'd rather sleep at night.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,554,810 times
I have lied on applications and interviews. I even had my sister pretend she was HR at a company!! You do what you got to do and to be honest pardon the pun honest, I stayed at those places along time. If you want the job and plan on staying for along time, be my guest LIE! I found it to be beneficial then explaining the reasons why my employment dates may have been spotty.

I stayed at a company for 6 years and we are still close and when I need help lying they have no problem. They know that I am a good worker. My sister, well I just got some extra help. However, you know your abilities, go ahead and lie.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:26 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,065,698 times
Not all companies go by that tax credit thing. I had to fill out the tax credit thing and I wasn't "qualified" for it, but the company hired me anyway. It even said on the paperwork I had to sign that it wouldn't effect the status of my hire, and I just went thru my orientation yesterday.

Did you fill out any paperwork for the tax credit and it did it say anything like that (about it not affecting you being hired if you qualified for it or not)? If so, and you have proof, you may be able to get them on that.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM

62 posts, read 314,324 times
Well, my question regarding the lying is don't most jobs show up on the background checks now? If you say you worked at ABC Company and they run a check on you and it doesn't show up, will that be a red flag and could possibly get you fired? Not sure exactly how the background checks work, but I do know former employers are on there. So, just think about that first.

I know I have been very honest and I have not gotten anything yet myself. I don't want to lie and I really trying to stay above board, but in 6 weeks I will have been out of work for a year. I have never not worked. This is a very, very, very difficult position to be in, but prayerfully we will all land something soon so we may take care of ourselves and/or family.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,647,315 times
At my company, lying (even just fudging dates) will get you fired with an unsatisfactory background check.

When I was in HR and doing background checks, we would pass on the hire if there were things that could not be proven (i.e. employment, education, etc).

Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM

9,030 posts, read 20,452,497 times
From what I know/understand a Background check doesn't not include employment.........only criminal. An HR Dept will do an employment check, if any of the companies listed on the resume are still in business. If a company is no longer in business, a potential employer sure can't call them for an employment verification! Government employers do a pretty thorough job of checking out everything on a resume, but a lot of people don't apply for government jobs!
Would I suggest lieing on a resume........not really, BUT today a person has to do what they think will get them the job! End of story!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment