Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Architect 28 40.00%
Toll Booth 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM

6,986 posts, read 7,087,689 times

Advertisements

Where I live (Long Island), you cannot live on $50,000, so I'd have to choose the toll booth job. Plus, the toll booth job probably has better benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,469,519 times
Toll booth. In a nano second. I hate dealing with people, co workers, and having to deal with people all the time.

Toll booth...5 seconds....here's your change.

Where do I sign up for mu dream job?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM

255 posts, read 537,223 times
^
What they said. Toll both.
With experience in the architecture and landscaping fields I see that they are "romantic" career paths.
What people choosing architecture don't realize is that for those not at the tippy-top of the game, it's mostly hackwork. Strip malls, schools, office. Hackwork that can involve you in lawsuits. Did I mention shot-gun suits.
I am now in the mortgage biz and loving it.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM

65 posts, read 253,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
^
What they said. Toll both.
With experience in the architecture and landscaping fields I see that they are "romantic" career paths.
What people choosing architecture don't realize is that for those not at the tippy-top of the game, it's mostly hackwork. Strip malls, schools, office. Hackwork that can involve you in lawsuits. Did I mention shot-gun suits.
I am now in the mortgage biz and loving it.
What do you love about the mortgage biz?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM

676 posts, read 656,359 times
Doesn't have to be a money vs passion dichotomy. Either one you take, you can utilize its strengths to make the best of the scenario.

A) Take the toll booth and use the extra income to buy yourself more time to dabble in architectural pursuits - training, research, freelance design, etc. Money buys time. Hire someone to mow your lawn, clean your dishes, go out to eat every day to not waste time cooking, buy whatever you fancy without wasting time looking for a deal (or lining up for black friday), etc.

B) Take the architectural job and be the best you can be at it. If you love architecture, this should be easy. Time spent at work wouldn't be "work time" as in the toll booth job, it would be time you enjoyed which should leave you more energized to be productive after your work day is over. If you're short on money, use your time to do some freelance work, or tutor schoolchildren.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,983,280 times
True, architects are a dime a dozen these days. But it should pick up eventually. If there really is a toll authority paying its collectors $100K a year, it would still be a bad job. Probably work all the late shifts at first. I have heard stories of motorists heating up coins with lighters (or worse) before handing it over. Fumes, risk of collisions, noise. And finally, there is no future in it, with more and more paying electronically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment