Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
My Mom. She held down two jobs and was a single mother of five. Her day job started at 8 a.m. and she'd get home around 5:30 p.m. Then she'd head out to her evening job around 7 p.m. and get home around 1 a.m.
The one thing she taught all of us was not to be afraid of hardwork.
I don’t like to blow my own horn but I’ve been known in past years about my work ethic. I was never so afraid of hard work that I couldn’t lay down beside it for several hours a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:26 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,003 times
I yoost to work as an asst. Chef in a large kitchen when I was 19.
I would wake up at 5.30am to be at work by 7.00am, finishing no earlier than midnight sometimes even 2 and 3am. I remember coming home at 5.00am one morning having clocked 22 hours on the job. Coming home at around 9.00pm was a special treat for me.
I had to quit that job to get married because she said no way.

Don't think I could do that again although working 61/2 days these days from 9am to 5pm is a breeze by comparison.

I'm 41 now and my new business means I will be working just 10am-5pm five days a week.
Ah thinks ah deserve tah slow down and smell the daffodils and rite poetree.
Mmm--- lets see---
The spring is sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where
The flowers is

Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
North Slope work is all 12 hour + days. My oldest was on a 5 week on, 2 week off rotation. 84 was the least amount of time he put in every week. He's working in town right now and complaining that he's not getting enough hours. Greedy little son of a gun. He's front loading his 401K and is only 22.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve never heard of anyone working that hard. My guess is that he’s unhappily married.

aks, i deal with business owners everyday,,,they put in tremendous hours,,,thats why when i hear,,,,,tax the rich, tax the rich, you are penalizing achievement,,,85% of all business, is SMALL business,,, everyday folks just trying to live the american dream,,with lots of hard work and hours,,hoping someday it will pay off,,

Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 AM

243 posts, read 703,928 times
Im not against hard work. got my self 80H+ weeks. tho its not legal here.

but i feel its realy sumthing wrong when pep must work them self to death. (almost) to mange. and that even dont geet them furter.

just work work work. and almost no pay.

I meen i talked to pep who works 12H shift. 7 days a week and geet less than 2000$ a month..whats that way less than 2$ per houer. (in USA. this is not alowed here. tho im sure it stil happens)
persnly i woulden move from my sofa for less than 25$ per houer. and doubel after 8 houers. (and i do geet that)

assume its difrent for non educated pep. but 2$ is way to litle. (correct this if my calculation of 2000$ per month and 84 h a week is wrong)

Old 05-05-2007, 05:39 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Oh, there are plenty of people who won't get off their sofa for less than $25.00 an hour. And Thanks to the hard working people who do, and pay taxes, the checks and benefits keep rolling in for those who don't.

I might sound selfish, but I have a hard time giving my husbands hard earned money to the less fortunate when they are not willing to work like a dog like he does. He has no education or special skills, just does plain old back breaking labor for long hours. I do give when it is kids though, because it's not their fault they have lazy parents.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
He has no education or special skills, just does plain old back breaking labor for long hours.
No offense, I love PA, but I hate hearing anyone (especially truckers) who say that driving a truck takes no education or skill. I believe trucking takes FAR more skill than many realize. Yes, it's not real hard to keep the truck between the lines going forward. But there's a LOT more to skillfully handling a truck than just steering. Much of it that takes years to master. And driving isn't all that's involved in being a succesful trucker. You must keep up with an ever-changing set of federal, state and local laws and regulations. You must be a good salesman, customer service rep, mechanic, weather forcaster and more. The technology in our industry is rapidly changing, as well. One thing I sometimes reflect on is that the guy in that Lexus passing me probably couldn't get a HAZMAT load safely and legally from, say, St. Louis to Philly...

I put in 12-14 hours most days. Fortunately, I drop-and-hook instead of unloading the truck. But there's no down time; I'm either headed to the store with a loaded trailer or heading back to the warehouse with an empty one.

My best to your hubby!

Old 05-06-2007, 12:28 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
No offense, I love PA, but I hate hearing anyone (especially truckers) who say that driving a truck takes no education or skill. I believe trucking takes FAR more skill than many realize. Yes, it's not real hard to keep the truck between the lines going forward. But there's a LOT more to skillfully handling a truck than just steering. Much of it that takes years to master. And driving isn't all that's involved in being a succesful trucker. You must keep up with an ever-changing set of federal, state and local laws and regulations. You must be a good salesman, customer service rep, mechanic, weather forcaster and more. The technology in our industry is rapidly changing, as well. One thing I sometimes reflect on is that the guy in that Lexus passing me probably couldn't get a HAZMAT load safely and legally from, say, St. Louis to Philly...

I put in 12-14 hours most days. Fortunately, I drop-and-hook instead of unloading the truck. But there's no down time; I'm either headed to the store with a loaded trailer or heading back to the warehouse with an empty one.

My best to your hubby!
My FIL, who is a wonderful man was a trucker for over 32 years. Lots of paperwork, mechanically minded, long hours, separation from your family, hard labor etc. He loved his job though and won several safe driver awards. His driver's license read like a book with all the stuff he was allowed to drive or haul. He's now loving retirement!

I heard today that if your average stay-at-home Mom got paid, she would be making upwards of $138,000.00 a year! Now that is one tough job!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:05 AM

243 posts, read 703,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Oh, there are plenty of people who won't get off their sofa for less than $25.00 an hour. And Thanks to the hard working people who do, and pay taxes, the checks and benefits keep rolling in for those who don't.
Are u saying that my income is from those who work 80H+ for 2$ houer are paying my salarey??

Are u saying that i just sit in my sofa doing nothing?

Are u saying that my years of mechanic education does not give me the right for a decent pay?

Are u saying that what i have as normal houers 8h a day is way to litel. (tho with travel its about 16H the last 8H is not payed coz thats not considered work) is a prick living of non educated who work their ass off?

If so u serisly have problems..

Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
tjukken

i believe the message was in response to your statement "i wouldnt get my ass off the sofa, for less than 25 an hr)
this is a very arrogant statement that offends people...why?? most of us come from humble beginnings,,,,we saw our parents work,,,two-three jobs between them,,,for very little,,,they didnt have a choice,,they had to work,,,to support a family,,,and there use to be a thing called pride,,where you did all you could yourself, before you sponged off the system, and yes,,,welfare is there as a helping hand, when need be,,but NOT for a way of life, unless you are handi-capped.

many of us remember, or still are,,,,going thru hard times, we sacrificed, we wore, clothes, and shoes for too long,,we didnt go out to eat, we bought everything we could on the cheap,

to know,,most of our parents, and generations before them worked so hard,,so that there "kids" could hopefully have a better lifestyle,,is something to be appreciated and respected, alot of character is built with hard work,,

so to hear,,"i wont get off the couch for less than 25 an hr" strikes a nerve with most of us,, especially when we see so much fraud in the welfare system,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment