Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,044,597 times

Advertisements

I currently work as a cashier, and have worked at the same place for 3.5 years.
Quite frankly, Im sick to death of retail and working with the public.

I would like to find some sort of job with decent pay . I currently make 7.30 an hour (I HATE you, Minimum wage increase)
8-9$ an hour would make me happy..10-11 would make me ecstatic where dealing with the general population at large is limited. Full-time not needed, and truthfully would be more difficult because I'm still in school.

Ive kept my current job because it has benefits (401k, health/dental, etc),I can get off easily, and I like most of my coworkers..I just hate dealing with the public. Benefits arent a requirement or need.
My boyfriend is in Japan, and that will entail probably one to two long trips (1-3 weeks) a year. Yes, this is a consideration for a job.No, turning down a chance to see him is not an option.

Im very, very close to completing my AA in Business Management Technology, and would like to gain some sort of experience using it. Cashiering doesnt do it.

Any suggestions? I was thinking something in Human Resources, so that I primarily deal with those I work with instead of the masses.

Help! Pretty please?

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 08-21-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,968,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im very, very close to completing my AA in Business Management Technology, and would like to gain some sort of experience using it.
I don't have any advice except to keep chugging along (go to school) but I am curious about one thing.

When you signed up for "Business Management Technology" exactly what kind of job did you envision this AA/AS would bring once completed?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM

968 posts, read 2,621,967 times
This may be a long shot as I do not know who you work for but could you apply for a different position with your current employer? Could you scale down to PT and still maintain benefits? You might want to see if there any job opportunities at the institution you attend for school? Maybe you can find an office job in their HR dept?. I would assume hours would still be flexible at the school but likely no benefits. With you being so close to completing your degree, maybe your Career Center can assist you in finding a paid internship or regular position that would still allow for you to take classes.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't have any advice except to keep chugging along (go to school) but I am curious about one thing.

When you signed up for "Business Management Technology" exactly what kind of job did you envision this AA/AS would bring once completed?
Didnt know exactly. Thought maybe some sort of office job. I just wanted a better chance at a better-paying job. At the moment, its looking hopeless.

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 08-21-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
This may be a long shot as I do not know who you work for but could you apply for a different position with your current employer? Could you scale down to PT and still maintain benefits? You might want to see if there any job opportunities at the institution you attend for school? Maybe you can find an office job in their HR dept?. I would assume hours would still be flexible at the school but likely no benefits. With you being so close to completing your degree, maybe your Career Center can assist you in finding a paid internship or regular position that would still allow for you to take classes.
I am part time.
The only other options would be in 2 departments. One is no-go since my best friend is the Assistant Manager in that department...and the other still involves working with the public.
Those are good ideas though. I'll check with the Career Center on Monday to see what they can find.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,518,324 times
You could work for an airline on the ramp loading/unloading bags. You'd get flight benefits too to go to Japan. Most of the time pay starts around $9-$10/hr.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You could work for an airline on the ramp loading/unloading bags. You'd get flight benefits too to go to Japan. Most of the time pay starts around $9-$10/hr.
Hmm..I could probably do that...nearest large airport is over an hour away though...maybe it would be worth the drive???

Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 PM

968 posts, read 2,621,967 times
Quote:
Didnt know exactly. Thought maybe some sort of office job. I just wanted a better chance at a better-paying job. At the moment, its looking hopeless.
It's okay too not have all the answers now. Even when things don't look good, still try to forge good opportunities from them. Build your success!

Quote:
I am part time.
Those are good ideas though. I'll check with the Career Center on Monday to see what they can find.
Its hard to find jobs that don't involve a fair share of "public" work but I understand your frustrations of retail. Are you strong in Microsoft Office? If not, take courses before you graduate, as it could give you an opportunity to work as an administrative assistant and later, executive secretary. These positions would also be available in HR departments. There are certifications for Microsoft Office as well as Human Resources. You might want to consider taking some payroll classes as this can give you an edge when competing in that industry. Good Luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,231,488 times
Grab one of the "Do what you are" type books, What Color is Your Parachute, stuff like that, and figure out what your aptitudes are. That should be the first step.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM

295 posts, read 1,180,738 times
"What Color is your Parachute" is an excellent resource.

You might also consider like an entry level Administrative Assistant or something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment