Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

Check this link out. I'm not sure if this been shown earlier. If so, I'm sorry.

Seattle Bank Worker Canned After Thwarting, Chasing Would-Be Robber - cbs2.com (http://cbs2.com/business/Jim.Nicholson.robbery.2.1111859.html - broken link)

My father in law has banked with Key Bank for 30 years. Before they even were called Key Bank I believe.
He withdrew all his savings and switched bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
When all is over, one has to admit that this guy has great instincts and got awesome results. It is thus too bad he was fired instead of issued a warning or some sort of slap on the wrist.

I feel the firing illustrates the fundamental problem with corporate bureaucracy... sometimes exceptions should be made for "policy" or "rules" when great results are had breaking with them.

Not everything is black or white; there's a whole world of colors in between.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I worked for Key Bank in New York State back in the very early 90's, one of the absolute worst companies ever to work for.

That said, I can't blame the bank for firing him. While on a "moral" level what he did was the right thing, on every other level it was wrong. His actions could have led to him or someone else including a bank customer being seriously injured or dead. He could have been hit by a car or knocked down an elderly person during his chase, thus involving another innocent person. He could have been shot by the police. He completely and totally broke company policy, and not in just a small way.

The FBI works closely with bank security departments to develop action plans in case of robbery. I've heard of tellers who were robbed and their coworkers right next to them didn't realize it until it was over--and that's the way it should be, it keeps everyone--including the robber--calm. And when people panic, people get hurt.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
"Nicholson said he has run after shoplifters while working at other retail jobs.

"It's something I almost look forward to. It's a thrill and I'm an adrenaline-junkie person. It's the pursuit," he said.
"

He really needs to find another line of work - bank teller ain't cutting it.
I understand why he was fired, even though on a more visceral level I'm like "you GO, Nicholson!"

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 AM

256 posts, read 894,385 times
He should have became a police officer.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times
There's no reason to chase after FDIC insured money. He could've been killed in that struggle.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
There's no reason to chase after FDIC insured money. He could've been killed in that struggle.
Or shot, wounded and left with a spinal cord injury in which case the bank would be paying out for as long as he lived. Millions of dollars.

The guy screwed up and deserved to be fired.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,223 times
This is nice to know. If I need money, I'll just rob a bank and the employees will be happy to give me money, with the approval of the FBI. It's FDIC insured, so it's "free".

This country is turning into a bunch of *******. Someone finally takes a stand against robbery, and he gets fired?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
This is nice to know. If I need money, I'll just rob a bank and the employees will be happy to give me money, with the approval of the FBI. It's FDIC insured, so it's "free".

This country is turning into a bunch of *******. Someone finally takes a stand against robbery, and he gets fired?
Thank you! Thats what i am saying. I understand if most people would let it happen. I mean, I would, but this guy is a hero in my eyes.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

He's a hero if he saves a life. Not so much if he risks his own. He's a bank employee NOT a security officer. Had a security guard made a move like this- I doubt this would've made it into the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment