Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,774,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
It's understandable that costs need to be controlled. Unfortunately, this is an example of how these cost saving measures effect individuals in a very negative way. Look on the bright side, your pain is saving money!
I guess there's a silver lining in their cloud. I've called out again tonight and will be calling the insurance company in the morning. I'm also going to call my ortho.
I have it in writing from the ER doc saying that I should be seen by an ortho within 3 days. I also looked at the workers comp statutes and found that they cannot deny a reasonable request. I think seeing an ortho is a reasonable request given the symptoms I'm having.

We'll see how this turns out. Thanks so much for the advice everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 05:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thanks, guys, they are blowing me off in my request to see the ortho. I'm going to call the company myself and get approval to see one, probably tomorrow morning.
I called HR twice today and received no response.
This is making me crazy, because if I call out of work, I get written up. No, there are no sick days for an employee, EVER.. Yet, my knee is killing me and very swollen. I think I have to just handle this myself. I've been trying to be nice and do it their way, but it isn't working.
Workers Comp injuries can't be counted as a sick day, and after the first week, you must receive a portion of your regular weekly wages payable through the w/c carrier.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I guess there's a silver lining in their cloud. I've called out again tonight and will be calling the insurance company in the morning. I'm also going to call my ortho.
I have it in writing from the ER doc saying that I should be seen by an ortho within 3 days. I also looked at the workers comp statutes and found that they cannot deny a reasonable request. I think seeing an ortho is a reasonable request given the symptoms I'm having.

We'll see how this turns out. Thanks so much for the advice everyone.
Make damn well sure that the Ortho is on the w/c doctors list, or they can deny payment AND your health insurance will deny because it's a work related injury.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
It's understandable that costs need to be controlled. Unfortunately, this is an example of how these cost saving measures effect individuals in a very negative way. Look on the bright side, your pain is saving money!
The law requires that the name and phone number of the w/c carrier is to be posted in a conspicuous place in teh workplace. Additionally the employer doesn't need to be the one to call in the claim, this can be done by the employee or their designee. There's no reason to not notify w/c on your own and get immediate guidance as to approved doctors. Every w/c carrier I've ever dealt with had a 24 hour call line.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Just spoke to the w/c company and they are jerking me around. Called an attorney and feel much better now. Got some great advice and don't feel so in the dark now.
I just want this knee to get better. That's all I want. The attorney said he's heard of this doctor they sent me to ( a GP) and it hasn't been good.
The attorney said that even if the doc says I don't need to go see an ortho and I feel I do, to just go and not play around with it as ortho injuries have a shelf life of how long you can get treatment and it makes it better. I've been sitting for two weeks now with no treatment. What a mess!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 AM

And the w/c company called me back yesterday and told me that they won't allow me to see an ortho.
They want me to keep seeing the GP. I don't like or trust this guy. I'm going this morning but after that, I'm done with him.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
And the w/c company called me back yesterday and told me that they won't allow me to see an ortho.
They want me to keep seeing the GP. I don't like or trust this guy. I'm going this morning but after that, I'm done with him.
Ask the GP for a referral to an ortho, then they will pay for it.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 AM

60 posts, read 290,121 times
Do you have your case #? It was sent with you to the place you went to get treatment initially. Worse case scenario just go back to the place you went to initially or r call the insurance company directly. Alternately, just go to your local ER & give them your case number. If it is an emergency they must pay for it. Also, the company is NOT allowed to penalize you for getting medical tx for a work related injury even if it is on company time. It is actually pretty serious; most companies take this pretty seriously. Yes, though in NJ you can designate where the person gets tx - if something occurs later as a result of an injury you are to go to your local ER.

ETA W/C lawyers are a bunch of scam artists. Just go back to the Dr you were told to see - if it suddenly gets worse overnight go to your local ER if the GP you went to isn't nearby.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 AM

I do have my case number. I asked the doc for a referral to an ortho today and he got offended and guess what, no referral. I'm going to do just that. When it blows up like a balloon at work, I'm going to go to the ER. When I went originally, they told me to see an ortho within three days and of course the company doc said no. There is a ton of fluid in there.
The GP is about 30 miles away. It is very inconvenient to keep running down there. Especially when I get off work at 6 am and they set me up for 8 am appointments. And yes, I ask for later in the day and they can't/won't accomodate.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 PM

60 posts, read 290,121 times
No if you are AT work you need to go to the GP they select. If you are at HOME when an emergency arises you can go to your closet ER b/c something has changed & an emergency has arisen.

Quote:
I do have my case number. I asked the doc for a referral to an ortho today and he got offended and guess what, no referral. I'm going to do just that. When it blows up like a balloon at work, I'm going to go to the ER. When I went originally, they told me to see an ortho within three days and of course the company doc said no. There is a ton of fluid in there.
The GP is about 30 miles away. It is very inconvenient to keep running down there. Especially when I get off work at 6 am and they set me up for 8 am appointments. And yes, I ask for later in the day and they can't/won't accomodate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment