Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times

Advertisements

My husbannd is 55, was laid off from a big corp job. He's applied to similar jobs, no offers.

My question is, how many, once laid off at 50's, from a big corp, ever get back in that game? Do they ever hire older men in these big corp? Why should they, when they can get a guy 25 cheaper? The wisdom of experience really doesn't matter, because computer/technical work constantly changes, the guy who's there has all the experience necessary, they can train him for whatever he needs.

He's seriously considering a govt job, albeit less pay than he used to get, simply for the stability.

Do old guys get hired in corp America? We were talking to a guy today with a Ph.D. in Computer Science, a stocker at Walmart, that's all he can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,901,199 times
We're not old, we're just ripe

Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,979 times
Wisdom only matters where it indeed adds value to a position and role one takes on.

Most jobs in corporations are highly regimented with training and policies and auditing; thus experience isn't quite as important as it might be for a smaller employer where there's more trust and autonomy.

The question your husband needs to ask with brutal honesty is: is he the best candidate for the jobs he's applying? Years experience mean nothing on their own. What matters is results and performance. If not, what can he do to improve his standing?

Just like you want to hire the best plumber for the price, so do most companies want to hire the best employees for the price. Sure, there are other unmerited factors like nepotism and sometimes even "fit", but these tend to be secondary.

Finally - if he's overweight and noticeably out of shape, that's going to count against him.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
What does it mean to a person's social security to go from the public sector to a govt job at age 55? Do you still collect social security if you, say, work at the govt job for 10-12 years and then retire at age 65-67? How does that work?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

537 posts, read 292,136 times
In these difficult times, flexibility is necessary.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM

34 posts, read 116,016 times
Sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. He can still get back in the corp world, but it will be alot tougher for him to find a new job at the same salary or better, as he will be up against younger and cheaper competitors, so he needs to have a winning game plan.

I would suggest he gets his resume professionally done, highlighting his accomplishments, and if possible take a few related courses in his field to show that he is current with his skills. He should be more thorough with his job search and maintain close contacts with his networks. Also, now could be a good time for him to re-evaluate himself and re-discover his passion. I hope things work out for him quickly. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twit View Post
Sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. He can still get back in the corp world, but it will be alot tougher for him to find a new job at the same salary or better, as he will be up against younger and cheaper competitors, so he needs to have a winning game plan.

I would suggest he gets his resume professionally done, highlighting his accomplishments, and if possible take a few related courses in his field to show that he is current with his skills. He should be more thorough with his job search and maintain close contacts with his networks. Also, now could be a good time for him to re-evaluate himself and re-discover his passion. I hope things work out for him quickly. Good luck!

He'sa done all that. He gets a lot of interest, lots of interviews, great feedback, always one of the final contenders, but never an offer. We figure its his age, maybe refocus on another market, govt, either Federal or state. I just wonder how the age thing is with govt employers, of course, no one can discriminate overtly on basisi of age, but come on, its done all the time indirectly. Just wondering if govt jobs have more "old guys"?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Mary,
I think part of the reason is things are just bad all over...so many companies are being extra careful with the bottom line.

I wish I had good advice for you but I have had the same interviewing problems and I am just 43..(get to be one of the finalists but they pick the other person).

Let's think this is a wake up call that we have to live differently.

The problem is, those who caused this mess are probably all still living well while the rest of us are experiencing the fall out (lack of good jobs or unemployment).

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times
As a recruiter for one of the largest employers in the Washington DC area, I see hundreds of candidates and hires every year. I can tell you that being old is a ***** and most employers prefer workers 25-40 and senior managers in their 40s. The only people we hire that are over 50 are ten times better than almost anyone else, know someone or have a unique skill or talent.

I talk to people in their fifties all the time in the various job hunting classes I teach and in interviews. They describe that age as being to young to retire to to old to be strongly considered. They face discrimination because other workers their age are considered dead wood and are thought to be just putting in their time until the magic day they can collect social security.

Being over fifty myself I do not agree with age discrimination but have to accept it.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What does it mean to a person's social security to go from the public sector to a govt job at age 55? Do you still collect social security if you, say, work at the govt job for 10-12 years and then retire at age 65-67? How does that work?
You still get full social security working for the federal gov't. We pay into it just like everyone else. We just get a slight pension as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment